• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a class D amp that goes down to DC or thereabouts....

Sokel

Master Contributor
Any examples as it was asked?
I think @pma has already demonstrated something like that,here:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course. The caps still get drained between charging pulses. Otherwise how would they get loaded down?
They get very partially drained, maybe by 1V or so, maybe less. But they are substantially charged the whole time the supply is running.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
DC coupling means DC in, DC out.
Short circuit to ground detection is not done based on voltage but on current (too much = SC).
DC is also measured at the output of these amps, not for speaker protection but to diagnose a failure of the output stage where the supply rail would directly go to the speaker. It is considered as a catastrophic failure. So the threshold is quite high (10V if memory serves) to avoid triggering the fail safe protection because these is a bit of DC at the input.
Hmmz... That's pretty good for Ohms of amplifier load versus the voltage output of the PWM power supply. The switching power supplies I've worked with are all large toroidal and drive 2 Ohms so this is very interesting and the new power supply stuff with iron cores is stuff is very cool. Are those iron cores?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They get very partially drained, maybe by 1V or so, maybe less. But they are substantially charged the whole time the supply is running.
Thank you for clarifying that for me. :D Very good info.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for clarifying that for me. :D Very good info.
Basically that part of the supply has waveforms a lot like a non-switching supply. But with a switcher, past the caps you usually have an LC filter to get rid of most of the high frequency stuff, especially RF.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Basically that part of the supply has waveforms a lot like a non-switching supply. But with a switcher, past the caps you usually have an LC filter to get rid of most of the high frequency stuff, especially RF.
The last PWM switchers I was with where TL494 and 594s. They operated @ pretty low speeds and where for a high current 2 Ohm rated car amp(s). Repairs where often and productive.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
Can someone please explain to me if mine can play lower than 20Hz (not that I have a speaker or sub to reproduce it,mine go to 30Hz,just technical curiosity):

fr.PNG

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone please explain to me if mine can play lower than 20Hz (not that I have a speaker or sub to reproduce it,mine go to 30Hz,just technical curiosity):

View attachment 287169
If 50kHz is the upper amplifier bandwidth what is the PWM switching frequency upper bandwidth and lower too?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Does those specs mean if I fed in 1VDC input, I will get 28VDC on the output and I can feed 400W continuously into a load of 2Ohms?
No, because the output stage protection will trigger above 10 V.
But in theory you should be able to get 200 W into 2 Ohm. Never tried tbh. Until thermal protection triggers of course.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But in theory you should be able to get 200 W into 2 Ohm. Never tried tbh. Until thermal protection triggers of course.
It's impressive for speed of operation and practicality while being aggressive.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If 50kHz is the upper amplifier bandwidth what is the PWM switching frequency upper bandwidth and lower too?
That's what it states:

SF.PNG

What puzzles me is that they state 3Hz at 10 watts (-3db) but 20Hz-25Khz at nominal power.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I saw 50kHz on a PWM amp back in the day I would be happy. LoL.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then why have DC response if it’s limited? Does the amplifier enters protection at 20kHz?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom