• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a class D amp that goes down to DC or thereabouts....

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
There was this thread...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Uhm...just being nosy. But what does DBA stand for?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Looking for a class D amp that goes down to DC or thereabouts....​

I don't think you are going to find one. The protection circuitry is so good they protect at that from what I am aware of.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm starting to think we've missed the coming wave of DC subwoofers (?)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Looking for a class D amp that goes down to DC or thereabouts....​

I don't think you are going to find one. The protection circuitry is so good they protect at that from what I am aware of.
Yes, most amps have some kind of DC sense that kicks in. My A21 opens a relay.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, most amps have some kind of DC sense that kicks in. My A21 opens a relay.
I'm of the mind I think 2 Ohm or near is the limit and that's why Purifi is rated 2 Ohm and no more. Zero is just crazy anyway.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are tons of class d amps that are DC coupled.
I'm aware of Purifi at 2 Ohms and no more. Can you elaborate or is this touchy territory? :D The class D stuff is so new that many people have no knowledge of a DC rating.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just like in the other thread, we don't know if DC coupling is desired, or actual DC output.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just like in the other thread, we don't know if DC coupling is desired, or actual DC output.
Or if it will ever exist.. car amps have been doing well with low impedance. Whether that is DC rated I don't know.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or if it will ever exist.. car amps have been doing well with low impedance. Whether that is DC rated I don't know.
Since DC simply means your voice coils are about to melt for no good reason, I have to think most high power amps prevent that.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since DC simply means your voice coils are about to melt for no good reason, I have to think most high power amps prevent that.
I would think that is preferable for sure. Plus there is the smoothing of the power supply can it operate with DC and for how long? That requires some grunt.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would think that is preferable for sure. Plus there is the smoothing of the power supply can it operate with DC and for how long? That requires some grunt.
The supply won't care, up to the rated power. It outputs DC anyways.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The supply won't care, up to the rated power. It outputs DC anyways.
Till it drains. It would be fun to make a load for PWM switching power supplies and drain them.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Till it drains. It would be fun to make a load for PWM switching power supplies and drain them.
How do you mean, drain them? They don't have real huge output caps, since the switching frequency is high.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you mean, drain them? They don't have real huge output caps, since the switching frequency is high.
Of course. The caps still get drained between charging pulses. Otherwise how would they get loaded down?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I'm aware of Purifi at 2 Ohms and no more. Can you elaborate or is this touchy territory? :D The class D stuff is so new that many people have no knowledge of a DC rating.
DC coupling means DC in, DC out.
Short circuit to ground detection is not done based on voltage but on current (too much = SC).
DC is also measured at the output of these amps, not for speaker protection but to diagnose a failure of the output stage where the supply rail would directly go to the speaker. It is considered as a catastrophic failure. So the threshold is quite high (10V if memory serves) to avoid triggering the fail safe protection because these is a bit of DC at the input.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DC coupling means DC in, DC out.
Short circuit to ground detection is not done based on voltage but on current (too much = SC).
DC is also measured at the output of these amps, not for speaker protection but to diagnose a failure of the output stage where the supply rail would directly go to the speaker. It is considered as a catastrophic failure. So the threshold is quite high (10V if memory serves) to avoid triggering the fail safe protection because these is a bit of DC at the input.
Any examples as it was asked?

Top Bottom