• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a 'cheap' amplifier to be hidden in attic

rolbo

I've got the following use case:
- I installed ceiling speakers in my bathroom : FOCAL: 100 ICW5.
- I'm looking for a cheap amplifier to play music in the bathroom via my phone playing Spotify.
- I won't have easy physical access to the amp, since it will be hidden in the attic.
- I got a server with Spotify Connect, which I could use (requiring a DAC/USB port)
- OR I could simply use Bluetooth.

Reading great reviews on the A07, the Pro edition caught my eye since it has Bluetooth aboard.

- Since I won't have access to the volume control, can I just adapt it via the phone, while the physical volume button is basically the 'max'?
- Would you do USB over Bluetooth?
- To save power, I'd like to disable the amplifier during night/ when not home, saving power. Could I use a smart plug to do this (comparable to pulling the plug in/out)? Or would this break the amplifier?
- What would be the best alternative amplifier considering the use case? Maybe a version with USB?

izeek

im an audiosource fan. they do a lot of multiroom stuff. really solid power. you can get 150w for under$600. bridgeable to 400w even. did I say solid power?
used ones run 200-300 for amp 310vs. you can use a 210 for your purposes.
get a wiim mini instead of bt. muuuuch better sq.
plus, you can untether your phone from it.
but fora bathroom, btis fine and the ao7 kughta be ok.
btw, use optical if you can for best results.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have a browse here: https://www.aiyima.com/collections/power-amplfiier

I use a couple of these to run a garden/outdoor setup and they have worked reliably for 5 or so years now. I feed them with an Apple airport.

Remarkably inexpensive and sound great for a Bathroom/Garden type application.

Philbo King

Unless you build a firewall box around it, it would likely be a building code violation. Not a big deal unless there is a fire. But if there is, it becomes a reason for your home insurance to not pay.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Unless you build a firewall box around it, it would likely be a building code violation. Not a big deal unless there is a fire. But if there is, it becomes a reason for your home insurance to not pay.

I agree. Putting any Asian sourced low cost, SMPS powered consumer device in your roof cavity is just a foolish idea. Rats, mice, general failure, moisture, fire/fusion etc.

There is NO way I would put any SMPS plugpack in a roof cavity. I had this discussion with my own father recently for access control video systems where the PSUs were SMPS and went into the wall cavity. And they were consumer grade supplies which had failed before (fusion).

Andretti60

For a bathroom?
I strongly agree with the previous posts.
Just get a JBL Charge, it is waterproof, Bluetooth, battery operated (so no power cable) and plenty of power. And when you are “done” in the bathroom, just take it with you wherever you go.
I don’t see any reason to go fancy, the acoustics in bathrooms is as bad as it gets.

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
I don’t see any reason to go fancy, the acoustics in bathrooms is as bad as it gets.
Bass is usually good though since those rooms are optimized for the, uh, low end.

Top Bottom