• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

looking for a budget ADAC for my kids computer. Linux.

johannes

I'm reviving an old computer for my kids. It was broken so there is no sound ports (mic and headphones out) available.

I thought that buying an external adac (ADC and DAC in one) would fit the bill. This will be a stationary computer so both a small usb dongle or a bigger one would be fine.
Perhaps a midi interface would be good as well because my youngest one want to play piano keyboard but it is not necessary since a lot of keyboards are on usb now.

The computer runs Linux so easiest would be if the adac would support the USB audio class 2.0 standard. If you do not know if your suggestion is class 2 just give it to me and I will research.

I used to own a pair of beyerdynamics dt 931 that I loved but started sounding bad after a while. I think I would buy a new pair of beyerdynamics with high impedance and I would have a couple of lesser headphones with lower impedance. It would be nice if the interface could drive both categories well.

Why I'm posting here is because there is basically to much information that I do not understand but I do like good sound so I thought it would be nice if my kids could try that out as well.

I have a budget up to 150 Euro or 180USD. I can go higher if you think it is really worth the extra money.

Perhaps you could give me a hint of what would be good to buy?

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How old are your kids? Unless they're older or specifically into hifi it would probably be best to just to get a cheap USB mic adapter.

If you want something nicer you'll be looking into pro audio interfaces. They will have better performance, but are also more complicated and probably will have a lot of features you will pay for without ever using.

(The links are all to American sites, but hopefully they will at least be representative.)

bcall

Maybe something like the Syba SD-DAC63116 for $46, and use the rest of the budget for some Philips SHP9500 and a V-Moda boom mic for $151~ total from Amazon. I think any kiddo would be happy with it.

Top Bottom