• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for 20 - 40 watt Solid State amp for Klipschorns;

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Thanks every one; I am using a a 10 watt Trends Micro class T amp. With an active xover... ALK networks. For the top end I am using a 1.5 watt Jeff Korneff 45 amp.
That changes things a bit.

So is this a 2-way then, rather than the more common 3-way configuration?

The amp that's particularly critical in terms of noise is the treble, and it appears the Korneff 45 SET may have a voltage gain of as low as 1.8 (5 dB), even lower than the ACA. This will hit 2.83 V of output with 1.57 V of input, so I don't envision any noise floor problems even with a little MiniDSP (2 Vrms output, 103 dB dynamic range).

So the LF amp would be a TA-10.2P-SE then? (Jeez, they want 259€ for a little 2x 10 W Tripath Class D amp? Now that's a bit steep.) Being that the driver naturally rolls off and may not be quite as hot as the treble anyway, its noise level is somewhat less critical. Which is all the better since SNR of this amp is spec'd at 98 dB, for a noise floor of about 112 µV. (If that is acceptable, a lot will be.) No gain spec, unfortunately, but it appears that these T-Amps are mostly rather low gain affairs, too. "I can see a line-level attenuator in your future." ;)

What are you using for measurements by the way? In something like this where proper response can only be verified at some distance, I would be inclined to use a directional microphone over your average omni measurement mic, even a short shotgun perhaps (it would have to be a good one though, like an MKH412 or a Deity S-Mic 2 or the shorter 2S).

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

pc_babe

I'm a large klipsch fan. Clearly.
I run Danley SH50 though as my mains and center. https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/synergy-horn/sh50/

The sensitivities are similar between our speakers. I enjoy the 500NC to power these speakers. Zero noise floor that I can hear - even when sticking my head in the horn (literally) . Much more power than you have asked for, but I sure hope you could give it a try.
What’s a 500nc?? I searched the web and found. Is this it? Looking for a good amp for my klipschorn. https://www.referenceaudiovideo.net/atiat52x.html

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I use a Micromega MyAmp to drive La Scala II. It is an integrated, 30 watts into 8 ohms, 60 into 4 ohms. Included is dac, three analog inputs, Bluetooth, and a line level subwoofer output. Resonant mode power supply and a remote. The volume control is a MAS6116.
Drives the La Scala’s as well as any amp I have tried. Dead quiet. Only use as a power amp only.
Accessories for Less has in stock.

pc_babe

Not sure this is it. Looks like a board vs an amp.
I use a Micromega MyAmp to drive La Scala II. It is an integrated, 30 watts into 8 ohms, 60 into 4 ohms. Included is dac, three analog inputs, Bluetooth, and a line level subwoofer output. Resonant mode power supply and a remote. The volume control is a MAS6116.
Drives the La Scala’s as well as any amp I have tried. Dead quiet. Only use as a power amp only.
Accessories for Less has in stock.
Interesting. Thanks

Top Bottom