• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Longshot, but I need help, I'm an idiot and broke my MiniDSP with Dirac Live.

SadMonster

Since you guys are scientists and love audio I'm posting here in the small chance that someone might be able to help.

Long story short I tripped on my USB cable connected to my MiniDSP DDRC 24 with dirac live which now has a better algorithm that creates custom target curves instead of giving everyone the same target curve and my tripping totally busted the USB port and I can't access the settings on the minidsp now.

I think I just need to replace this part I circled, and it doesn't seem that hard, that said, I still don't know what I'm doing and could use all the help I can get.

Untitled-1.jpg

Can someone link me to what to buy and tell me how to fix my MiniDSP? I really do not want to buy another... :{

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have you been in touch with MiniDSP? Their support is pretty good from my experience.

Does the unit still seem to work aside from the ability to hook it up to to a PC/laptop?

I have hard wired USB cables to boards in the past and if that is your problem and only your problem that might be something worth considering after you have contacted MiniDSP. I found that was easier than replacing the connector in my instance.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
If you don't know what you're doing, then my advice is to take it to someone who does.

Any reasonably compent electronic repair guy should be able to replace that for you easily. Since it is a USB connector, I'd advise taking it to a local guy who repairs PCs and see what they can do.

EDIT - This looks close:

Screenshot 2022-09-13 at 21.50.25.png

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Try and lift all of the connectors up at the same time and slide the plastic guide back into place. Straighten out the metal tabs on the ground cover and see if it will pop back into place. It could be a temporary fix until it can be professionally repaired.

If it was powered up during the mishap, some of the connectors may have shorted out to the pcb vias and electronic damage may have occurred.

OP
S

SadMonster

Have you been in touch with MiniDSP? Their support is pretty good from my experience.

Does the unit still seem to work aside from the ability to hook it up to to a PC/laptop?

I have hard wired USB cables to boards in the past and if that is your problem and only your problem that might be something worth considering after you have contact MiniDSP. I found that was easier than replacing the connector in my instance.
Everything still works except the USB. I emailed the support but I'm not expecting much.

If you don't know what you're doing, then my advice is to take it to someone who does.

Any reasonably compent electronic repair guy should be able to replace that for you easily. Since it is a USB connector, I'd advise taking it to a local guy who repairs PCs and see what they can do.
Really? Maybe I'll take it to a mall phone repair guy then.

Try and lift all of the connectors up at the same time and slide the plastic guide back into place. Straighten out the metal tabs on the ground cover and see if it will pop back into place. It could be a temporary fix until it can be professionally repaired.

If it was powered up during the mishap, some of the connectors may have shorted out to the pcb vias and electronic damage may have occurred.
Fortunately, everything still works. Do you think I will need a replacement cover or that I'll need to solder anything?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
PS - I have to say the soldering on that part doesn't look good. The solder should flow through the holes to the component side of the PCB (it hasn't) - and the metal tabs on the component body are supposed to be soldered for mechanical strength. It looks like they were not.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Everything still works except the USB. I emailed the support but I'm not expecting much.

Really? Maybe I'll take it to a mall phone repair guy then.

Fortunately, everything still works. Do you think I will need a replacement cover or that I'll need to solder anything?
It doesn't look like the metal ground cover was soldered in place so it may just snap back into place and work.
Looks like all of the solder connections are on the bottom side of the board.
You might have to fiddle with what looks like retaining clips on the pcb to get the metal cover back on.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Since you guys are scientists and love audio I'm posting here in the small chance that someone might be able to help.

Long story short I tripped on my USB cable connected to my MiniDSP DDRC 24 with dirac live which now has a better algorithm that creates custom target curves instead of giving everyone the same target curve and my tripping totally busted the USB port and I can't access the settings on the minidsp now.

I think I just need to replace this part I circled, and it doesn't seem that hard, that said, I still don't know what I'm doing and could use all the help I can get.

View attachment 230739

Can someone link me to what to buy and tell me how to fix my MiniDSP? I really do not want to buy another... :{

You probably already know this but just be particularly careful applying heat to any part/s (like to solder) and when you power the unit on make sure nothing is shorting. Those events can completely brick it. The small component immediately behind the USB connections would be very susceptible to damage if you were to start heating things up, I don't know what is on the other side of the board either.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Any luck with this OP?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If me and I had issue with sourcing the USB connector and replacing it then I would solder directly to the PCB and call it a day.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
If me and I had issue with sourcing the USB connector and replacing it then I would solder directly to the PCB and call it a day.
The PCB footprint seems to match (or at least look very close to) a bog standard molex connector that should be readily available.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The PCB footprint seems to match (or at least look very close to) a bog standard molex connector that should be readily available.
Somewhere, somebody has those details... lol. Even a used PCB to cannibalize would be ace. Otherwise that part will be difficult to source. Get some nice high temp wire and go to town soldering it direct.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Somewhere, somebody has those details... lol. Even a used PCB to cannibalize would be ace. Otherwise that part will be difficult to source. Get some nice high temp wire and go to town soldering it direct.
Or the OP could buy the part I've linked above and see if it fits. Before he does it he could measure the PCB and see if it matches the footprint drawing provided upthread.

It costs £4 on ebay. Personally I'd much rather have the proper connector fitted than a bit of wire hanging out of the device.

OP
S

SadMonster

You guys were by far the most helpful guys on the internet that I found but I'm still too dumb and lazy to figure it out. I emailed MiniDSP and they said it will be an easy job with the correct part and that if I mail it to them to China they will fix it for free but it will take 400 years and I will have to ship it at m own expense and hope it doesn't get lost and stuff and live without audio till then. But I think it is my best option v.v

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Just spend $200 round trip to Doodski or RestorerJohn. They can fix you up. Shipping is most of that price..........

Top Bottom