• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Long time reader first time poster I need help

Emery Lesco

Soo thanks for the add at home I have a CAT amp Martin Logan CLS2 speakers and quite a good system. I worked at a hi fi store here in San Francisco for many years. So I know enough to make me dangerous. We carried deno Cary counterpoint JBL professional and consumer Martin Logan infinity demon SAE Canton and a bunch of audio video gear I did custom home theatre and whole house systems which at that time was rare.

anyway I need some advice here: we have a motorcoach(RV) a big diesel pusher. We have inverters and good power batteries with solar etc. I am looking for an open sounding music source. I have mirage speakers and a definitive 7” sub woofer ( I know it seems rather small but puts out good enough for the motor coach) I would like a receiver that is under a grand and has a warm sound to it. Now I have other amps a z series home kenwood from the 90s an old Hafler an older SAE x series, some McIntosh stuff...the problem is the eat too much power. So I am looking for 70 watts in a five channel configuration either in a receiver or a pre amp amp.

we are kinda stuck in the RV during the pandemic and I really want good 3 channel for music and a decent surround sound 5.1

the problem I am running into after demo after demo is nothing has that warm sound

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Soo thanks for the add at home I have a CAT amp Martin Logan CLS2 speakers and quite a good system. I worked at a hi fi store here in San Francisco for many years. So I know enough to make me dangerous. We carried deno Cary counterpoint JBL professional and consumer Martin Logan infinity demon SAE Canton and a bunch of audio video gear I did custom home theatre and whole house systems which at that time was rare.

anyway I need some advice here: we have a motorcoach(RV) a big diesel pusher. We have inverters and good power batteries with solar etc. I am looking for an open sounding music source. I have mirage speakers and a definitive 7” sub woofer ( I know it seems rather small but puts out good enough for the motor coach) I would like a receiver that is under a grand and has a warm sound to it. Now I have other amps a z series home kenwood from the 90s an old Hafler an older SAE x series, some McIntosh stuff...the problem is the eat too much power. So I am looking for 70 watts in a five channel configuration either in a receiver or a pre amp amp.

we are kinda stuck in the RV during the pandemic and I really want good 3 channel for music and a decent surround sound 5.1

the problem I am running into after demo after demo is nothing has that warm sound

Youre listening inside a big metal box.....

OP
E

Emery Lesco

Not really it is a really luxurious motor coach, not really a metal box...I am a Lighting designer for theatre, ballet, opera rock country bands we have been off the road for months now...I can honestly say I have seen more live shows than 99 percent of the people in the world in 43 years of doing my job so....as for my metal box lol your a funny guy

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I am looking for 70 watts in a five channel configuration either in a receiver or a pre amp amp.
A Yamaha RX-V485 or a Denon unit would suffice well. Not sure about warm sounding because that's subjective but both units should suffice well. The Yamaha is well below your stated price range but you said 5.1 and ~70 W/ch.

OP
E

Emery Lesco

We tried both and the imagery ()soundstage) wasn’t quite there. The speakers sound perfect in here with my Macintosh or the crowns or the hafler running an old DSp 3000 as the preamp but they use way too much power had to run a 20 amp extension cord. The reviews on the anthem and the other 1000 to 1500 dollar units don’t pass....so what am I left with....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We tried both and the imagery ()soundstage) wasn’t quite there. The speakers sound perfect in here with my Macintosh or the crowns or the hafler running an old DSp 3000 as the preamp but they use way too much power had to run a 20 amp extension cord. The reviews on the anthem and the other 1000 to 1500 dollar units don’t pass....so what am I left with....
The Yamaha and Denon in the 5.1 models maybe don't have the current output. What speakers are in the motor home?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Just to make that clear, are you demoing inside your RV? Otherwise the vast majority of what you're hearing will be speakers and rooms.

I'd be researching how to apply some manual EQ via each device.

Holy moly, the Yamaha DSP-3000 is old. 1989-1993? Makes me wonder what kind of ADC they were using... apparently something 18 bit. At that time, the very first 1-bit delta sigma ADCs with 18 bit output should have just about been out, though it might still have been a multibit affair, too. In any case, in the fast-moving world of surround sound anything from the early '90s is positively archaic. No AC-3 or DTS, no HDMI ARC, no hi-res, no nothing.

I am not sure I would trust electrostats with just any amplifier, but one would have to see their impedance curves first.

OP
E

Emery Lesco

I am using mirage speakers in the Motorhome I have Martin Logan’s at home...I just have a
lot of old gear sitting around. People here just gave me old stuff like fosgates and yamahas old B&K

myimpedance is 4 ohms I think on the mirage speakers....the Martin Logan’s were way to heavy to install in the moho

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
myimpedance is 4 ohms I think on the mirage speakers
That could be a issue with the Denon and Yamaha 5.1 receivers I suggested and could explain the lack of detail, imaging, depth and slam.

Top Bottom