• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Long term risks of storing/using monitors in garage?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thinking about moving my KH310's to my new garage gym. Like most attached most garages in the US, it's 3 exterior-facing walls. Weather extremes i've experienced in Chicago over the past 3 years: -22F polar vertex, +113F heat index. Neumann website states:

Operating conditions+10° C to +40° C (+50° F to +104° F); <90% RH, non-condensing

Transport/storage conditions-25° C to +70° C (-13° F to 158° F); <90% RH; non-condensing

From the KH80 thread, I know climate affects output but I'm concerned about the monitors breaking down in some way. Is there some risk to using them below 50F? Obviously not worried about 49F, more like 30-ish which could happen 60-90 mins every day during Jan/Feb. Or is that spec moreso for guaranteeing the expected output?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Thinking about moving my KH310's to my new garage gym. Like most attached most garages in the US, it's 3 exterior-facing walls. Weather extremes i've experienced in Chicago over the past 3 years: -22F polar vertex, +113F heat index. Neumann website states:

Operating conditions+10° C to +40° C (+50° F to +104° F); <90% RH, non-condensing

Transport/storage conditions-25° C to +70° C (-13° F to 158° F); <90% RH; non-condensing

From the KH80 thread, I know climate affects output but I'm concerned about the monitors breaking down in some way. Is there some risk to using them below 50F? Obviously not worried about 49F, more like 30-ish which could happen 60-90 mins every day during Jan/Feb. Or is that spec moreso for guaranteeing the expected output?

Because you are talking about long-term (as in many years possibly here), I wouldn't really feel comfortable leaving such expensive speakers in the garage. I do keep moderately(?) priced fully sealed monitors in the garage where temperatures range down from -30 to +30 or so degrees Celsius from winter to summer in Canada. I keep a temperature meter in the garage and check before playing them during winter to make sure it's not in the negative degrees. Still, if it is cold and I'm working in the garage, I will play them but at a much reduced volume. Mind you, these robust Fostex 6301 monitors also have been in the market for a very long time and replacement parts e.g. drivers and board are readily available in case a repair is warranted -- in that sense, I feel comfortable abusing them a bit more compared to other monitors.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning

you should worry more about mice settling in the cabinets... :)
jokes aside - temperature variation, water condensation (or freeze!) is gonna significantly shorten the life of any equipment.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Yeah... I wouldn't expect temperatures to be a problem. Just the moisture/condensation and frozen condensation.

I don't know anything about dehumidifiers but I assume they require lots of energy and I assume they are not completely effective near freezing.

Top Bottom