• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Long shot: Anyone here with experience with US legal, low-powered FM transmitters

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Remember in the old days, we had little FM transmitter gizmos that plugged into our cigarette lighter accessory power port and allowed one to get output from a portable CD player (or the prehistoric versions of the iPod, hewn from stone using crude tools by ancient Neanderthal geeks) to listen to on one's car radio?

Here's the thing. Our church's pastor is thinking seriously of doing "drive in church" as a bridge from our current service paradigm (via Zoom) and the still somewhat distant goal of meeting again in person. His thesis is that the easiest way to get information ("content") from the church to a collection of cars (literally) in the parking lot would be via the cars' FM radios (as opposed to a more sophisticated "digital solution").

I know there's a market for pirate FM radio and transmitters that are not legal to use unlicensed -- but I was wondering if there are (still) legally low powered transmitters with a range of -- I dunno -- a couple of hundred feet, and, if so, if any of them are any good?

Cost isn't really a factor.

Anyone with any fairly recent experience/suggestions in that arena?
Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask!

Thanks!

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"Unlicensed operation on the AM and FM radio broadcast bands is permitted for some extremely low powered devices covered under Part 15 of the FCC's rules. On FM frequencies, these devices are limited to an effective service range of approximately 200 feet (61 meters)."

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/low-power-radio-general-information

Is that enough range?

OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I think so -- google's indicating that basically everyone has had the same idea, and all such gizmos are out of stock! What weird times these are.

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My understanding is that either the FRS or GMRS walkie talkie transmit in FM. The GMRS needs a license but it is a cheap one.

SounderMN

I've seen something like this on a friend's boat. We would raft up together (remember when you could do that?), and he would broadcast a low power signal. This way we could put on the FM, and all have the same music. Pretty cool idea!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yes. Our church uses a low-power FM loop system for hearing-impaired members to use.

Top Bottom