• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Logitech Media Server etc...

OP
R

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Synology discontinued support for LMS on their NAS on June 30, 2020. (https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/status/EOL_announcement_for_synology_packages)

Luckily, a member of the community has picked it up. (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?111876)

I'm running LMS 8.0 on my DS918+ NAS.

Martin

I've installed Docker on the Syno (XPENOLOGY) and there are some containers with LSM. maybe it's a better solution, you can install many versions on different containers....

OP
R

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I use 3D printing from my printers to case the Raspberry and other single board computer.

Today something like an Ender 3 is 135€.

Thingiverse is plenty of design and with the help of some experience you can design by ourself.

Not necessary to buy cases from elsewhere.

IMG_20210220_180915.jpg

After all we are in the DIY part of the forum, not the buy it from a company part.

Last edited:

stbourg

Let's talk about Daphile today.

Daphile is a Linux distribution. https://www.daphile.com/

View attachment 57124
Image grabbed from the website...

This specific version of Linux allow to use a computer as a player. It is not working with ARM processor family (like Raspberry, Orange Pi, etc...). The main interest for me is the ability to use the i86 processor capabilities to do something in the domain of high resolution, where the Raspberry is struggling.

Daphile embarks a client to play audio, but also the LMS, the server part. About LMS inside Daphile, I do not like to use an HDD connected to the USB port of a Daphile computer. If use LMS and an an HDD in the same computer, when booting LMS is starting to re-index the files in the HDD. If LMS is on a SBC elsewhere then there is no re-indexing. And if I want my LMS always on (for bedroom system, bathroom system etc...) I prefer an ultra-low consumption as SBC do.

Daphile is an old friend. I've played since years with this distribution. I started with a portable computer for a try : prepare an USB stick and you are done, you can give a try connecting your USB DAC.

But today I want to describe what I've done since near one year.

And here we are...

Coffee time, I'll be back in 15 minutes for more...

Bonjour/Hello,
Just joined this fantastic forum but been reading so many interesting posts for the last year mostly stuck inside in these strange times ...

Anyway, found your excellent write up on Daphile and SQB/LMS in general. I personally love the whole SQB concept and all the fantastic clever folks who're using it.

I got the impression that you might know a thing or two about Daphile? I've here a Daphile install running on an old Mac Mini mid 2009 and would like to connect a bluetooth keyboard to it, any chance you've any idea how to start up the BT service in Daphile/Gentoo? I'm by no means any Linux expert but manage some things and have the beta version and know how to SSH to it. But have'nt a clue of what one need to do to start BT so I can connect the keyboard. Hope you or some other clever person here on ASR would know?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I got the impression that you might know a thing or two about Daphile? I've here a Daphile install running on an old Mac Mini mid 2009 and would like to connect a bluetooth keyboard to it, any chance you've any idea how to start up the BT service in Daphile/Gentoo? I'm by no means any Linux expert but manage some things and have the beta version and know how to SSH to it. But have'nt a clue of what one need to do to start BT so I can connect the keyboard. Hope you or some other clever person here on ASR would know?
You could try the Squeezebox forum thread too, or contact the developer directly. I don't remember having seen a UI for Bluetooth, and daphile doesn't use a package manager for updates, so it probably won't be easy in the first place, and may be broken by updates. It's built using Gentoo so the Gentoo bluetooth docs are a good starting point. Check whether the kernel module exists - probably
/lib/modules/*/kernel/net/bluetooth/bluetooth.ko - then whether any of the bluez tools are present like /usr/bin/bluetoothctl. If they're there then yo uwon't have to make a custom kernel or work out how to add packages, as I suspect daphile doesn't include the build tools you'd usually find on a Gentoo system. I've not tried a bluetooth keyboard without a conventional desktop so there may be further problems to sort once you get past the basics.

stbourg

You could try the Squeezebox forum thread too, or contact the developer directly. I don't remember having seen a UI for Bluetooth, and daphile doesn't use a package manager for updates, so it probably won't be easy in the first place, and may be broken by updates. It's built using Gentoo so the Gentoo bluetooth docs are a good starting point. Check whether the kernel module exists - probably
/lib/modules/*/kernel/net/bluetooth/bluetooth.ko - then whether any of the bluez tools are present like /usr/bin/bluetoothctl. If they're there then yo uwon't have to make a custom kernel or work out how to add packages, as I suspect daphile doesn't include the build tools you'd usually find on a Gentoo system. I've not tried a bluetooth keyboard without a conventional desktop so there may be further problems to sort once you get past the basics.

Thanks for your time answering. :)
Ok so I checked and /lib/modules/*/kernel/net/bluetooth/bluetooth.ko is there but /usr/bin/bluetoothctl is not ... sadly doesn´t tell me much but sure I understand that BT wouldn´t work without from what you write.
Since I'm just starting to learn the whole Linux universe and most a "copy/paste" type of guy everything I want to do takes sooo much time and it's very frustating. Searching and reading a lot, and sometime I'm lucky to find some command that I hope is correct but never quite sure.
Found this > https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/203307/how-to-find-out-bluez-version-from-command-line
And from using that info I would suspect that bluez is not implemented in Daphile?

From another site I found > dmesg | grep -i bluetooth ... and if used it gives me >
[ 2.570330] usb 4-1.1: Product: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
[ 13.188965] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
[ 13.188995] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[ 13.189001] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[ 13.189004] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[ 13.189006] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized

As I said I'm far from an expert but I think this says HW support is there but there is no way to control it without bluez, is that right?
Think I read in a thread somewhere that to get BT to work in Daphile would be a huge PITA and that person thought it's not worth wasting time on it. But I don't know? Also have the impression that Gentoo is a bit "special" compared with other more general known distros like Ubuntu and the likes. More like an "expert distro", is that correct? The developer is not very responsive, have tried contact but in other matters and no response what so ever so didn't bother re. BT.

Would be very interesting to hear why WiFi is implemented and not BT? Wonder if it has something to do with that Daphile is "advertised" as an"audiophile class music server" and in that sense BT would be "unaudiophile"? But really have no clue, Is'nt RF "same,same" whether it's BT or WiFi re. eventual disturbances? Or secondly I wonder if it might has to do with that there seems to be a "linux community general consensus" that BT and Linux is/been a PITA for ages? (this from reading countless forum posts in the matter). Not much experience with Linux but never had any major problems using BT with Win or Osx.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I suspect you're right in thinking the kernel module is present but bluez isn't - I picked bluetoothctl as something that would probably be present if bluez was there. An "expert distro" covers the way most people use Gentoo, but you can also use it as a tool for building a custom linux image as Google do for ChromeOS, and I think that's what is done with daphile too. Gentoo's 'package manager' (emerge) is actually a build system inspired by the one from FreeBSD, and usually compiles the 'packages' from source rather than just install existing binaries. When making custom images it would be used to build the binaries and install them into the image, but neither it nor the compilers and other build tools would be installed into the image. A further complication is that as I understand it daphile replaces the entire image during upgrades, so making your modifications survive an upgrade isn't as easy as with a more conventional distro like Moode or Volumio. This is why it would be a 'huge PITA' - you will have a lot of learning to do if you want to do it.

The only times I've had problems with bluetooth in linux have been with devices that are doing something nonstandard while the reverse engineering has been a work in progress, like the PS4 controller pairing process used to be. Maybe I've just been lucky, or found the right docs quickly. WiFi is relatively simple - it just does networking. Bluetooth is more like USB, with many similar subsets of functionality like audio, human interface devices, networking, file transfer, media playback controls etc. There's an expectation of interaction with the 'computer' end during pairing which is more complicated when the 'computer' doesn't have a keyboard or display - something Windows and MacOS don't have to deal with. I suspect bluetooth was a can of worms the developer wasn't interested in opening as it would take a lot of work to do well.

stbourg

I suspect bluetooth was a can of worms the developer wasn't interested in opening as it would take a lot of work to do well.

Yeah I guess you're right on it there, that's my feeling also. Thanks for the rest also, very informational. Did know about ChromeOS but had no idea that it was built around Gentoo.

Have I got this right, is 'emerge' similar to the more (at least for me) common 'apt-get' then?
And if I'd understood 'emerge' right, may I ask if you know, what is what Gentoo call 'portage'? I've the impression from trying to read on Gentoo wiki that the two, ie "emerge' and 'portage' goes "hand in hand" so to speak but honestly I don't understand the difference (if any?).

And oh, BT and Daphile is a no go for me, that's for sure ...life's too short :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:;)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Portage is the name of the build system as a whole, while the emerge command is the part of it that you usually use. There are other commands that are also provided by portage, and other tools that are separate packages but work with portage. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage
Thinking of it as similar to apt-get may be a good starting point, but the parallels aren't exact. You'd probably have to look at apt, dpkg and a few other tools to get a better match, but they view the world a bit differently.
If you're interested in learning about the internals of linux systems, and the choices that most distros have made for you, have a read through the install process in the Gentoo handbook. The Arch wiki is another good resource. Of course most people don't want installing an OS to be a learning experience...
With ChromeOS it's fairer to say that Gentoo is one of the tools they used to build it.

stbourg

Of course most people don't want installing an OS to be a learning experience...

So true, most people these days want to live their life as smartphone zombies, hence being fed with "info" that they "believe" is relevant or important.
Sadly a minority actively seek info, knowledge and enlightenment. No doubt in my head to whom I want to belong to.

Thank you so much for your kind help, I'm most grateful!

RadioBuddha

I can recommend PiCorePlayer, too. It is really easy to install and control. You don't need to use the command line to completely install and configurate it. Furthermore you can install an Airplay client. I'am running the LMS Server and Client on the same Pi, but also could run the Server directly on my NAS. I don't do this, because I often hear via Spotify and don't want to wake up the NAS for Spotify playback. There are some other images, wich run a LMS Client and a Spotify Client and some other things parallel. But the one I've tried currently doesn't support gapless Spotify playback.

Hi I use squeeze player, and yes it is free. Although I use Orange Squeeze as a controller which was under a 5 GBP. I think that there are free options there too,

Judging by what I see on Youtube, the Logitech Media Server with Orange Squeeze or Squeezelite or Ipeng seems to be the most user friendly for internet radio and various plugins/Airplay abilities, out of all the possible Raspberry Pi OS solutions, this one seems to mirror a Sonos or Bluesound App the most.

If I just want to buy the Raspberry Pi 4, use the Apple USB-C Dac Dongle, USB-A to C adapter, do I need an actual LMS server on a NAS if I don't need to manage my own music? Is there a way to utilize the LMS system just as a Spotify connect/Airplay and internet radio app?

I am using an Iphone SE as a remote to control this system, if it is possible.

Silver1omo

If I just want to buy the Raspberry Pi 4, use the Apple USB-C Dac Dongle, USB-A to C adapter, do I need an actual LMS server on a NAS if I don't need to manage my own music? Is there a way to utilize the LMS system just as a Spotify connect/Airplay and internet radio app?

I am using an Iphone SE as a remote to control this system, if it is possible.

You still need a server and a client, you can run the server in the same Raspberry. Picoreplayer has a quick/easy setup to do so.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Synology discontinued support for LMS on their NAS on June 30, 2020. (https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/status/EOL_announcement_for_synology_packages)

Luckily, a member of the community has picked it up. (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?111876)

I'm running LMS 8.0 on my DS918+ NAS.

Martin

After Synology upgraded Perl in DSM pinkdot stopped supporting LMS on Synology. I installed LMS coresident with piCorePlayer on my Raspberry Pi and it works like a charm. I still use iPeng on my iPhone to control piCorePlayer.

Martin

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Not sure if it's been mentioned above, but the newer versions of LMS (8.1/8.2) also provide integration with online music services such as Qobuz and some others. To me this was a really big development. Long live SqueezeBox!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The integration works beautifully. I use it for Spotify. The only thing I would love go be able to do is change the tagging on Spotify tracks, as some of it is not the way I do mine! I can change genre, but not artists or track title

S

RadioBuddha

You still need a server and a client, you can run the server in the same Raspberry. Picoreplayer has a quick/easy setup to do so.

Thank you, I was just on the Picoreplayer website, as you wrote, it makes things easier to be able to place the server on the SD card of the Raspberry Pi.

Michel Forbes

To those using LMS. You've got to try the free 3rd party plugin called "Material Skin". For me, it's much better than Roon. If the "Music and Artist Information" plugin is also installed it will display the artist/album info, and photos from the web, including song lyrics (if they're available) in a well laid out and intuitive format. I've been using LMS for many years and I can't believe I hadn't found out about this until a few weeks ago. So glad I got rid of the buggy Roon software.
Spent the last weekend at SAM - Salon Audio of Montreal- building playlists live with ROON for the show...what an horrible software...compare to LMS.
The UI is all around the place, you're never sure that your playlist is updated..I don't understand why ausiophile are paying for the software ( if you don't use the DSP).

Michel Forbes

I've started using iPeng with an iPad, I like it a lot. There are a lot of nuances I haven't figured out yet, but it is a really good interface for LMS.
Ipeng UI is too busy, Squeezepad is probably the most elegant UI for Squeezebox.

nils.kdc

I had to give up LMS because it lacks some basic dsp functions that I need (possibility to ajust gain and a delay line per channel). It's unfortunate, because I found LMS + material skin to be quite nice, and otherwise so feature rich and with many plugins.
So today I use Bubbleupnp + Minimserver + Moode because it has camilladsp embedded. Camilladsp enables me to switch between dsp settings on the fly, wich is great.
The integration of Camilladsp into LMS would be a great thing IMHO

Top Bottom