• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Logitech Media Server etc...

Vuki

Slim Devices' Squeezebox (Classic) is IMHO the most innovative, usable and user friendly piece of audio hw in last 20 years - true revolution. As you can see I'm quite a fan :) I have Classic, Duet, Touch, Radio and couple RPi based players. One Rpi 4 with Picoreplayer is used as a LMS server & player and it works perfectly serving music from WD MyCloud 4tb ethernet connected HDD. Recommended :D

OP
R

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Slim Devices' Squeezebox (Classic) is IMHO the most innovative, usable and user friendly piece of audio hw in last 20 years - true revolution. As you can see I'm quite a fan :) I have Classic, Duet, Touch, Radio and couple RPi based players. One Rpi 4 with Picoreplayer is used as a LMS server & player and it works perfectly serving music from WD MyCloud 4tb ethernet connected HDD. Recommended :D

I agree totally. I have all this stuff and I would like to buy a Transporter one day or another...

OP
R

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Atomic Pi + Daphile with tactile screen?

Well I was preparing a Daphile Atomic Pi for a friend. I propose him a 24" monitor, it was a 60€ bargain from a well know website. But my friend decline, WAF constraints etc... Didier aksed me for a 7" display, something I shown him with a Raspberry Pi.

Well, the official Raspberry Pi is 70€. And works with the Rasp, and does not work with a HDMI adapter.

So I went on Ali and found this screen for 35€. Capacitive Touch, but not sure it will work with Daphile.

1586001146801.png

Received the screen and it was ok:

1586001359824.png

OP
R

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
So it was time for a new design...

1586001490304.png

1586001693711.png

And some printing.

1586001568365.png
1586001585969.png

1586001609765.png
1586001636516.png

1586001749739.png
1586001777893.png

Well my wife designed the case...

1586001944798.png

Attachments

• 1586001330744.png
    1586001330744.png
    925.9 KB · Views: 688
  • 1586001887336.png
    1586001887336.png
    832 KB · Views: 107
OP
R

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I've found a lot of people using Daphile does not understand they can have an output to the monitor. More than this, there is a resolution detection and it works fine on any kind of screen.

Back to this Ali screen, the goind point is the touch panel is working fine. For 35€ it's excellent.

So I have a 32bits / 768kHhz PCM Flac DSD player with 7"touch screen for less than 100€:
- Atomic Pi 35€
- Screen 35€
- Usb Key : 8€
- USB Hub :8€

Just add SMSL SU8 and pair of Elac... Waow! What a great budget system.

Aldoszx

Also Ropieee XL has Squeezelite capabilities.
Daphile virtual machine on ESXi (as LMS server only) + music on NAS + piCorePlayer as client (RPi Zero W) and Ropieee XL (RPi3&4) is the winning bundle for me until now.
I can use both LMS an Roon.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Apesbrain Just found this thread and your comment...can you speak a little more to this? Perhaps a link would point me in the right direction and provide inspiration?
Download Jive Squeezeplay and run that. It emulates a Squeezebox, and works in the same way. You can also control it from another tablet or phone using any of the Squeezebox remote control apps.

A great bit of software.

S

ta240

Major Contributor
Slim Devices was a company that was just a bit too far ahead of its time and it was possibly still a bit too soon when Logitech bought them out in 2006. Logitech went in the direction of lower end products towards the end that didn't catch on only to have Sonos come out years later with expensive versions that sold like crazy.

I got an original Squeezebox when they first came out late 2003 and nobody would listen to me about how incredibly handy it was having all my music at the push of a button. Now everyone thinks that is normal. I have 4 Touches and a radio. The Touches have microphones built in like someone thought that someday you'd want to talk to the device too. The touch screens are so handy for those that don't have their phone in their hand at all times and is what is missing from a lot of the newer offerings. That was also fun back in the day trying to explain to people that I can control it from a regular remote control, a touch screen on it, or any computer, tablet or (later) phone on the network. I'd get a blank look and "but I just put my ipod in this holder and listen to it through these speakers" and then later "but why would I want to get up and walk over to a touch screen when music is on my phone"

It is sad that the entire product line never got the attention it deserved but I am grateful that they keep the mysqueezebox.com site going.

Last edited:

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Apesbrain Just found this thread and your comment...can you speak a little more to this? Perhaps a link would point me in the right direction and provide inspiration?
Sure, there are a few apps available for Android and iOS that allow those devices to function as a Squeezebox player. If you go to Google Play store, search for "SqueezePlayer" or "SB Player". Once installed on your device and your device logged on to the same home network as LMS, LMS can send music to it and you can listen via speaker or headphone; or output to an external speaker via headphone jack or Bluetooth; or output to an external DAC. You control this player just as you would any other Squeezebox using a web browser or mobile app. ("Material Skin" is a recent LMS plugin that provides a free and modern control interface for PCs, tablets, and phones.) BTW, it doesn't have to be a phone: an Android tablet (as in my photo) or Android "mini-PC" will also work. It's not that much more difficult to turn a Raspberry Pi into a Squeezebox player if that is something of interest:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/show...aspberry-Pi-with-(or-without)-HiFiBerry-board

Unlike the Android/iOS solutions, the RPi player will render to a compatible DAC all formats up to 24/192 PCM and DSD 64 (via DoP).

Last edited:

Old Hi-Fi Guy

Forum Donor
Sure, there are a few apps available for Android and iOS that allow those devices to function as a Squeezebox player. If you go to Google Play store, search for "SqueezePlayer" or "SB Player". Once installed on your device and your device logged on to the same home network as LMS, LMS can send music to it and you can listen via speaker or headphone; or output to an external speaker via headphone jack or Bluetooth; or output to an external DAC. You control this player just as you would any other Squeezebox using a web browser or mobile app. ("Material Skin" is a recent LMS plugin that provides a free and modern control interface for PCs, tablets, and phones.) BTW, it doesn't have to be a phone: an Android tablet (as in my photo) or Android "mini-PC" will also work. It's not that much more difficult to turn a Raspberry Pi into a Squeezebox player if that is something of interest:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/show...aspberry-Pi-with-(or-without)-HiFiBerry-board

Unlike the Android/iOS solutions, the RPi player will render to a compatible DAC all formats up to 24/192 PCM and DSD 64 (via DoP).

Thank you. I have a Squeezebox Classic, an SB3, a Touch, a Duet, and two Radios. Unfortunately, the Duet's receiver fell off my desk a while back and hasn't worked since. Looking on the bright side, at least the transmitter works as a remote with the other SBs.

I knew that you can use a tablet app as a remote, but it hadn't occurred to me that you can use a tablet as a player. I happen to have a tablet that I never get around to using, and you can never have too many Squeezeboxes!

Old Hi-Fi Guy

Forum Donor
This is exactly the use case for a Raspberry Pi player. It replaces the Receiver and you use the Controller with it just as you once did.
Oh, now you're putting temptation in my path. The problem with projects like this is that there's always another lengthy learning curve that has to be negotiated before any progress is shown. This kind of Raspberry Pi and Arduino stuff has been on my wannabe to-do list for some time, but the sad fact is that I'm not good at learning about things that are electronic. I'm much better with things that have moving parts that I can see and touch.

Here's the first sentence from Step 1: "Assemble the HiFiBerry board onto the Raspberry Pi". I'm already having palpitations over what that might mean!

rgpit

Forum Donor
To those using LMS. You've got to try the free 3rd party plugin called "Material Skin". For me, it's much better than Roon. If the "Music and Artist Information" plugin is also installed it will display the artist/album info, and photos from the web, including song lyrics (if they're available) in a well laid out and intuitive format. I've been using LMS for many years and I can't believe I hadn't found out about this until a few weeks ago. So glad I got rid of the buggy Roon software.

Last edited:
Top Bottom