• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Logitech Media Server etc...

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I had to give up LMS because it lacks some basic dsp functions that I need (possibility to ajust gain and a delay line per channel). It's unfortunate, because I found LMS + material skin to be quite nice, and otherwise so feature rich and with many plugins.
So today I use Bubbleupnp + Minimserver + Moode because it has camilladsp embedded. Camilladsp enables me to switch between dsp settings on the fly, wich is great.
The integration of Camilladsp into LMS would be a great thing IMHO
Moode includes squeezelite, so you can use it (and its camilladsp config) with LMS. Installing camilladsp on picoreplayer is now relatively easy too - see this thread as the name of the github repo has changed a few times. Someone was working on a server side camilladsp plugin for LMS too, along the lines of the old brutefirdrc one, but I've lost track of it

gamerpaddy

Dont forget to set a good password and do not forward ports to the internet unless you know what you doing.
those damn logitech squeezeboxes are open like a phone book. if you use them as a NAS, if its not secured, anyone can access it. also if suddently at 3am annoying loud music starts playing on all your smart radios, it probably got hacked. same goes for all AVR's and other devices with web interfaces.
stupid internet of shit devices are a massive security flaw.

Foxenfurter

I had to give up LMS because it lacks some basic dsp functions that I need (possibility to ajust gain and a delay line per channel). It's unfortunate, because I found LMS + material skin to be quite nice, and otherwise so feature rich and with many plugins.
So today I use Bubbleupnp + Minimserver + Moode because it has camilladsp embedded. Camilladsp enables me to switch between dsp settings on the fly, wich is great.
I revived the old Inguz plugin which would allow you to do do the gain and delay stuff your talking about. It works on a Pi although there is more lag than on my win10 box.

I have just finished reading the 150 page thread on DIY audio as I am thinking :eek: of using CamillaDSP as the engine; but may not bother if I can get the Inguz performance up.

nils.kdc

Moode includes squeezelite, so you can use it (and its camilladsp config) with LMS. Installing camilladsp on picoreplayer is now relatively easy too - see this thread as the name of the github repo has changed a few times. Someone was working on a server side camilladsp plugin for LMS too, along the lines of the old brutefirdrc one, but I've lost t

Yeah, Moode can be run with LMS and squeezelite activated but when doing so I loose access to camilla dsp. And my camilladsp settings get bypassed. Other wise that would have nicely done the job...

I will try the other solutions you and foxenfurter are pointing to, but they may be beyond my limited technical ability

Thanks for the help :)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Yeah, Moode can be run with LMS and squeezelite activated but when doing so I loose access to camilla dsp. And my camilladsp settings get bypassed. Other wise that would have nicely done the job...
That bug should be reported if it hasn't been already.

nils.kdc

I revived the old Inguz plugin which would allow you to do do the gain and delay stuff your talking about. It works on a Pi although there is more lag than on my win10 box.

I have just finished reading the 150 page thread on DIY audio as I am thinking :eek:of using CamillaDSP as the engine; but may not bother if I can get the Inguz performance up.
Thanks Foxenfurter, your setup process is simple and straightforward, and I could access to the Inguz GUI through Extras. Yet for some unknown reason, the player then got frozen. And I can't find how to remove / deactivate this Inguz plugin ?

Regarding the delay, wich can be set though the skew function, I understand it applies to both channels, where I would need it applied to the right channel only. And also, being set in samples, the delay would vary depending on the music bitrate (or is inguz working at a fixed bit rate ?). I need a 5ms delay, so at 44,1khz that would translate to 220 samples, but Inguz is limited to 100 samples. So all in all, this tool does not seem to be a workable solution for my needs.

I also tried to setup camilladsp the thread of lykkedk, but it's way more complex for me, I'll see if I can get my way through it...

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would need it applied to the right channel only... I need a 5ms delay, so at 44,1khz that would translate to 220 samples
You may be able to do this with a custom-convert.conf file incorporating the SoX "delay" command:

You'll need to do some experimentation to get this to work, but the content of the custom-convert.conf is going to be something like this:

flc flc * * # FT:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v} [flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] delay 0 220s | [flac] -cs -0 --totally-silent -
For more help, you can post over at the LMS user forum:

Foxenfurter

Thanks Foxenfurter, your setup process is simple and straightforward, and I could access to the Inguz GUI through Extras. Yet for some unknown reason, the player then got frozen. And I can't find how to remove / deactivate this Inguz plugin ?

Regarding the delay, wich can be set though the skew function, I understand it applies to both channels, where I would need it applied to the right channel only. And also, being set in samples, the delay would vary depending on the music bitrate (or is inguz working at a fixed bit rate ?). I need a 5ms delay, so at 44,1khz that would translate to 220 samples, but Inguz is limited to 100 samples. So all in all, this tool does not seem to be a workable solution for my needs.

I also tried to setup camilladsp the thread of lykkedk, but it's way more complex for me, I'll see if I can get my way through it...
In terms of setup - What does your server run on, win 10 pc, Pi? What was your source of music? I would suggest running a local flac file first as that is the simplest to setup. Spotify can be a bit problematic although I did get it to work. (i.e. the player froze for me too).
De-installing should just involve de-selecting the plugin from settings, and then apply and restart LMS; the plugin itself is stored in the server cache.

in terms of the delay
"The Skew control introduces a small delay in the left or right channel’s signal. This can compensate for time
alignment, where the distance from one loudspeaker to the listener is slightly longer than the other.
Positive values delay the right channel compared with the left. One sample corresponds to 22.68μs, about a third of an inch (7.7mm)"

It looks as though one of your speakers is 1.8 M (6 feet) further away than the other one, is that about right? The limit of 100 samples is just an arbitrary limit of the Slider that I setup in the web-page, the code itself just uses an integer to store the delay in samples, and that should mean up to 32000. I will see if I can tweak that, although it may not be for a couple of days as I have a lot on at work at the moment.

Foxenfurter

You may be able to do this with a custom-convert.conf file incorporating the SoX "delay" command:

You'll need to do some experimentation to get this to work, but the content of the custom-convert.conf is going to be something like this:

flc flc * * # FT:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v} [flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] delay 0 220s | [flac] -cs -0 --totally-silent -
For more help, you can post over at the LMS user forum:
And this is the other approach if you want to set and forget.

Michel Forbes

Daphile used LMS offer BruteFir, but no live interacxtion with the DSP.

nils.kdc

In terms of setup - What does your server run on, win 10 pc, Pi? What was your source of music? I would suggest running a local flac file first as that is the simplest to setup. Spotify can be a bit problematic although I did get it to work. (i.e. the player froze for me too).
De-installing should just involve de-selecting the plugin from settings, and then apply and restart LMS; the plugin itself is stored in the server cache.
My server runs on pi4, and I tried to play files from Qobuz and I think also (but not sure anymore) from local flac files. I will have to give it another go when I have a bit of time, but that won't be before a few days.

I didn't find a way to de-select the plugin, at least not in the LMS plugins tab. If it should appear there (in the activated plugins list ?), then I suppose something went wrong in the final phase of my installation and I should go over it again.

in terms of the delay
"The Skew control introduces a small delay in the left or right channel’s signal. This can compensate for time
alignment, where the distance from one loudspeaker to the listener is slightly longer than the other.
Positive values delay the right channel compared with the left. One sample corresponds to 22.68μs, about a third of an inch (7.7mm)"

It looks as though one of your speakers is 1.8 M (6 feet) further away than the other one, is that about right? The limit of 100 samples is just an arbitrary limit of the Slider that I setup in the web-page, the code itself just uses an integer to store the delay in samples, and that should mean up to 32000. I will see if I can tweak that, although it may not be for a couple of days as I have a lot on at work at the moment.
Ok got it thanks, so + and - can make for left or right.

Yes, I have two listening positions in my lounge : one that is on-axis, and the other one on a couch that is very comfortable but about 45° off axis. From this couch, the left speaker is 1,8m further away than the right one so I apply 5ms delay plus 2 or 3 db attenuation to the right speaker. This brings back quite a nice stereo image, way better than I thought actually, despite the off-axis position.

I appreciate your concern with increasing the number of samples limit; perhaps this would meet a similar need others might have. Roon has this possibility embedded, and I found that quite smart (except for the price tag), I am curious why it is not more widely spread as a standard dsp feature

A question would still remain with the (# of samples) / (ms delay line) translation depending on the bit rate : difficult to imagine having to adapt the settings for every different bitrate input

nils.kdc

And this is the other approach if you want to set and forget.
Thanks indeed but I need a possibility to very easily switch between A and B dsp setting according to the listening position, and this is one of the nice aspects of moode, it gives direct access to camilladsp settings from the main playing screen. Plus it's on the fly, so very nice for instant A/B comparisons

nils.kdc

In case someone is interested, I found in the slimdevices forum that to enable camilladsp with moode playing as squeezelite renderer, you need to add -o camilladsp to the squeezelite settings in moode.

So that's great - Unfortunately for my needs, the camilladsp settings can not be changed on the fly (at least not on moode's GUI) when moode plays as squeezelite renderer, as is the case with moode as upnp renderer.

Foxenfurter

Out of interest were you using the 32 bit or 64 bit version of picoreplayer. I just checked my install and it is for 32 bit as that is what I have setup. I don't think the operating system has a 32 bit sub-system like windows. So if you are using 64 bit then that may explain why the install didn't work.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been using LMS since 2005 - I've never had to look at another product. My main system has a Touch that connects to my DAC via coax. Other clients include a Boom (with a sub it is pretty room-filling and still sounds great), a radio, and another system in weekend cabin.

Sounds awesome. The UI is far more lightweight than many other solutions out there, and it never tells you how to organize your library, or tries to touch your library in any way.

Great Spotify support built in.

I've run LMS on a Synology NAS, on Windows and on multiple Ubuntu LTS versions - awesome platform support.

Only problem ever has been with some of the original power adapters. I upgraded to better aftermarket ones and never had an issue since (the SQ did not change :-D).

nils.kdc

So that's great - Unfortunately for my needs, the camilladsp settings can not be changed on the fly (at least not on moode's GUI) when moode plays as squeezelite renderer, as is the case with moode as upnp renderer.
I finally found a very simple solution to this : the camilladsp gui can be directly accessed while moode is playing as squeezelite renderer through this local url :
<local IP of moode device>/cdsp-configeditor.php

So I added this url through my browser on my smartphone (and PC) home page, and voilà, I can change the settings of camilladsp on the fly, even though moode's gui as player is in itself not directly accessible because of squeezelite.

So my setting now is : LMS (on my NAS) + Moode 8 / squeezelite including camilla dsp (on pi4) + Squeezer as control point on my smartphone. As an alternative the local url with material skin can of course be used but what I like with squeezer is that it connects to the mechanical volumeup/down buttons of my smartphone, hence enabling physical volume control, wich I like way more than control through digital slider or taps.

LMS and its plugins provide for Qobuz, Spotify and radios integration. Plus now, the possibility for me to use camilladsp on the fly makes this an incredibly powerful and accessible, user friendly solution. Apart from Roon (but at what price), or with hardware solutions such as minidsp, I frankly cannot see what could beat it today ;-)

Reactions: mkt

Abohir

Anyone know how to get EQ on the Logitech Media Server / Squeezelite X for Windows? (Using a windows 11 laptop)

I got Qobuz working, but am I trying to figure out if I can EQ the Qobuz stream.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone know how to get EQ on the Logitech Media Server
Look into Inguz EQ/DRC:

Once you have it installed, an updated control panel that works in any browser is here:

If you need help, post at the Squeezebox forum.

Top Bottom