• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As title suggests, post your favourite tracks, which you enjoy despite its "lower quality" (or just because of that).
Can be anything, Lo-Fi as an intentional approach (like subgenres almost) as well as unintentional - (amateur) live recordings, (home) demos, "vintage"/historic recordings (objectively limited with available tech.) etc.

PS: if you embed media, always write artist/title in plain text as well

images.jpg

Last edited:

paulraphael

I believe production included a tube mic preamp and a cassette deck (used as an effects unit), with everything cranked to 11. One of my favorite albums from its time. In my humble opinion they might have overdone the acoustic guitar overdrive a notch or two ...

(Neutral Milk Hotel, "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea," from album of same name. 1998)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When you have children for a mastering engineer and producer. "Let's just compress and clip the shit out of this song"... CUZ LOUD! I like the song, but I usually just listen to tribute versions instead of the original.

vinyl rip is a bit more dynamic with the high hats, but they still saturate the crap out of the loudest parts of the song.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not the worst sound quality, but not great either. Maybe just right for what it is.
Great, great music is what it is. :)
I never thought it sounded all that bad, FWIW, TBH, YMV, and all that initialistic rot. ;)

Now. The Moody Blues' Go Now. THAT sounds bad. Bad.
This is one of the very, very few pieces of music that sounds so horrible that I am actually inhibited from listening to it as a consequence.

Moderate Dionysianism

NGLY - "Speechless tape"
WOW that's dope too! I really dig this style where the 'danceable' stuff is buried in fuzz and gloomy synths

this thread is the ultimate nostalgia trigger...

Самцы Дронта - Сумерки [BC] [BC - remaster]

Wilburn Burchette - Witch's Will [BC]

Дя - Тысячи дорог [archive.org]

Koudlam - Eagles of Africa [BC]

Los Iniciados - La Marca de Anubis [BC]

Dobri Isak - Ona se igra nožem

Smorzando - Lied 1 (from 'Smrad') [BC]

t.u.m.s.a. - Ziedu pilsētā nebija

Fluorescent Heights - Eternal Rhythms [BC]

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sparklehorse - Maxine (also known as "Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain")

Top Bottom