• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lmax, LCpeak, Power Needs, and Digital Clipping

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have hit the limit of my knowledge and in researching have been unable to come up with answers. Fortunately, there are those here who are far more knowledgeable, so I am hoping someone can provide the answers. Here it goes:

I have calibration levels set for both my systems for reference level listening using Bob Katz's recommendations for mastering and adjusting for room size as suggested. I employ volume leveling in Roon and Jriver at -20 dbfs in order to have different level recordings play back at the same level. In the vast majority of cases, I see that Roon or Jriver reduce playback level by 5-12db with volume leveling (I listen to a lot of studio recorded music, so there is varying levels of compression).

In the case of my desktop, I calibrate to 74 dbc (each speaker so 77db for the pair) using 500-2,000hz -20dbfs band limited pink noise. For my living room it is 80dbc for each speaker (I have a pretty large room). My understanding is that by using this calibration level, the highest level I should ever see on my main speakers in the 500-2000hz range is 20 db above the calibration level for a 0dbfs signal, since a digital signal cannot go louder. This would translate into 97db for the pair of speakers in my desktop system, which just happens to have a listening distance of 3 feet (or one meter for the majority of the world).

Here is what I don't understand. When using my SPL meter, whether in REW with a UMIK or on my phone, I see average levels right where I expect. I also see Lmax levels, right where I would expect. What I don't understand is how my LC peak levels can be so much higher, what I would expect to be way above what is possible without digital clipping. Lets take a specific example:

IMG_7312.jpeg

This is a snapshot of a 1 minute segment of Chilly Gonzales- Sample This from Live at Massey Hall, which has a loud short peak at about 2:40 in the track. In Roon, volume leveling has reduced it by 10.6db to hit my target -20dbfs. I am using fast A weighting to eliminate any SPL contribution by my subwoofer which is set a bit above the mains level. As I would expect, LAeq is right at 77db. I would expect the max SPL possible to be 77db + 9.4db (because volume has been reduced by 10.6 db for volume leveling) or 86.4 and my Lmax is about as expected at 84.4 db (understanding that even with Lmax for fast weighting it is still an average level, but over an extremely short time). Here is what I don't understand:
  • How can I be seeing LCpeak of 102.3 db? My calculations show this is nearly 16db above 0dbfs.
  • When we discuss the peak power needed to avoid clipping an amplifier, shouldn't we be discussing LCpeak levels? This is a huge difference where in the one case, my speakers need about .5 watt each to hit 85 db (keeping in mind I am measuring a pair, individually each would be 3 db lower), the other 32 watts. Increase my reference listening level to 83 db and these peaks are asking for 128 watts per channel, getting very close to the 150w/ch/8ohms my amp puts out.

Thanks for what I hope is an informative discussion.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know how much it helps, but I found this on the roon site:
If a positive gain adjustment would cause some part of a track to clip, the gain adjustment is modified to avoid clipping.

So then with your setting you might have a peak higher than you were expecting if the test track has a crest factor >20dB. Do you know what crest factor of the test track? This doesn't seem to explain how your peak would be 16dB more than you expect.

Edit: sorry I didn't read carefully. Now I see that the adjustment was negative. But anyway I would check the crest factor of the test track.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also the LAeq value is A weighted so this might be throwing things off quite a bit. Possibly your true RMS level is much higher than 77dB.

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Went back and did it C weighted and nearly identical numbers.

IMG_7315.PNG

It is my understanding that if you have a -20dbfs signal, the maximum crest factor possible is 20db, the peak which would be all digital 1s. Here where the signal has been reduced by 10 db with volume leveling set to -20dbfs, the maximum crest factor should be less than 10db. Clearly there is some piece of the puzzle that I (and I think pjug) am missing. Anyone?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you able to record into audacity with your mic? Then you can check the crest factor of the recording. Then see if it agrees with the crest factor of the original file. Then if that is a lot different from the SPL avg and peak measurements you know the SPL measurements are not giving you the true picture.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Went back and did it C weighted and nearly identical numbers.
Peak was changed but it looks like you did not change LAeq to LCeq. Does that meter app let you change to unweighted?

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has one master control. I can run in REW, as the same observations apply with it.

I have no clue how to use Audacity.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't want to use audacity, do you have some other way of finding the crest factor of that track?

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you like, you can record the output and then post it here, and then I or someone else can run it through Audacity or similar.

Really stupid question. How?

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Poor framing of the question. Looking for a guide that explains how to do it with Audacity so I don’t have to try and learn the entire software.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are willing to redo what you show in the initial post with a free test track such as the first one on this list then I think it won't be hard to get to what is going on:
http://www.2l.no/hires/

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recorded the Chilly Gonzolez track just using the laptop mic and I get about 20dB crest factor. So I wonder why the volume leveler would turn it down. Are you sure the volume leveler reduced it by 10.6 dB?

Top Bottom