• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LM3886T mounting question...

nelsondog

Hi all interested parties, I have a question regarding the mounting of the chip to the heatsink. Is it necessary to electrically isolate the chip from the heatsink? Will the heatsink compound be enough to separate the two? I’m not able to shop for something like mica washers but I do have some teflon tape. Would this be sufficient to isolate the two if needed at all?
Thanks for taking the time to read my silly question.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No idea.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Both the back tab and the screw need to be insulated.

quorzar

It depends. If u have the model with LM3886TF, the temperature coefficient is lower, because of the housing is made of plastic. Then you dont need the insulation. If you have the type without TF at the end, there is metal on the backside and the upper part where the mount hole is, is made out of metal too. So you need insulation. I only use the TF model and never had problems with temperature.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It depends. If u have the model with LM3886TF, the temperature coefficient is lower, because of the housing is made of plastic. Then you dont need the insulation. If u have the type without TF at the end, there is metal on the backside, so u need insulation. I only use the TF model and never had problems with temperature.
T = metal tab
TF = plastic

OP
N

nelsondog

What about an alternative material instead of mica? Is there anything else I might be able to use?

Top Bottom