• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Living With Linkwitz

D

Deleted member 2944

would you recommend getting the +2 / studio subs that go with these?
The +2 or Studio subs elevate the system price quite a bit. This is why I mated the much cheaper Peerless woofer to form the LXmini+ system.

That said, some folks seem to be satisfied with the LXmini system by itself. Much depends upon the type of music you listen to, and how loud.

Dave.

Reactions: mac

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
is the minidsp a must-have? measurements from amir seemed pretty abysmal so i was wondering if going the nanodigi route would make much more sense (though i would then need many many dacs...)
The measurements of the HD models were much better. I don't have forum access (just helped a friend with analog crossovers for his), but I think there should be settings for the Hypex DSP too.

Milan

First post on this forum, didn't feel like I could contribute much but I feel like I could give some feedback regarding these bad boys.

I built madisound kit, with 2x4hd. Nice project, finish was the most exhausting part (if you are as impatient as I am, waiting for the paint to dry). I have been reading everything I could find from Mr Linkwitz before I decided to go for the kit, and this design made so much sense. There's a lot of material on his website so I won't go into details here but I recommend it to everyone to read it.

Everyone talks about holographic imaging of these speakers. The best way I could describe it is if you could imagine a box speaker as a flat screen tv. It can look realistic but at the end of the day, it's flat and nothing like what you see in nature, you know it's a tv. The sound coming from lxmini has this amazing depth of soundstage and pinpoint imaging. When I listen to Johnny Cash for example you can feel the volume of his voice taking up space between and behind speakers, it's quite remarkable and hard to explain but I have never gotten that from box speakers. Same goes for Diana Krall, Winterplay, Chris Isaac, you name it. Closest to this I have heard was in surround recordings. These speakers really reveal the flaws and compression in poor recordings and aren't forgiving at all. They kinda made me relisten to many recordings and hear them in completely new light.

In my living room (no treatment), roughly 3ft away from the sides and 5ft from the front they sounded fenomenal. Bass extended to mid 40s, reflections didn't influence the sound at all (with the toe in instructions from Mr Linkwitz). I moved them to the den, all first reflection points treated, but the room is not ideal, it's smaller (10x12x8) and I have a nasty lateral null around 80hz. Some bass trapping but it doesn't make a difference. I listen mostly tidal on chromecast audio feeding denon 4300 through optical. Xt32 does room correction below 300hz and I have them crossed at 100 (sweet spot to my ears and based off the null in bass). Crossed to 2 uls-15 mk2 (fenomenaln, don't-need-anything-better subs) positioned in the center of the room left and right wall, the fattest response I could get in this crappy room but I can't locate the subs (it helps that the couch is blocking direct line of sight).

Honestly, I think they sounded a bit better in the living room, my den is too dead for stereo listening. For movies, it doesn't matter, dead + atmos from Xbox is a winning combo. Phantom center is not really cutting it for me since I usually watch movies with my wife and the geometry doesn't work in my favor. I am too close to the speakers (6ft) that when I sit on the side the image shifts. In the living room tho, where the distance was 9+ft, I could easily get away with phantom center with 2 of us watching.

I run them with carver 505, but I have a pair of nc252mp sitting around waiting for the cases from Ghent (which is apparently not leaving China any time soon because of the virus). I do have a hiss in both speakers, which I assume is coming from 2x4hd, and a hum from only left speaker. I am in the process of cleaning up the signal path, I have some nice interconnects coming from Ghent, and I have already made a nice pair of cables from canare 4s11 (since lxminis require 2 pairs each). I am probably going to run additional couple of power lines on different circuits because right now everything in the room is on the same circuit, that might help with the noise, we'll see. The noise is more of a ocd thing, I hear it when the music is not playing sitting 6ft away from the speakers, but my room is very dead and the ambient noise is very low. As soon as I play the music the noise issue is gone.

No baffle, no box, single driver for 700hz and up, very capable woofer without beaming or lobing, it is truly a unique, bold, psyhoacustic based design that you cannot get from any speaker manufacturer for less than a grand a pair. Yes, they are a bit steampunky but I built them specifically for the sound they deliver, and they do deliver! If I ever have a 3000sqft+ room, I might consider some of his other open baffle designs but till then, these speakers are not going anywhere till someone comes up with the design that can rival this masterpiece.

This is my subjective opinion and possibly a buying advice for someone who values good sound without spending too much money and stressing out about +-10db sinad difference for non audible effects that cost more than these speakers and make maybe 1% difference in listening experience.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
would you recommend getting the +2 / studio subs that go with these?
The LXstudio subs are quite expensive – there are other solutions that are more economical – but if you can afford them and have room for them they would certainly improve performance of the minis.
is the minidsp a must-have? measurements from amir seemed pretty abysmal
The HD version sounds fine – and the original version was, after all, good enough for Linkwitz. But there is now an analogue crossover by Nelson Pass that had Linkwitz' blessing. That is what I now use for my minis – the sound is very close to the Minidsp with (to my entirely subjective ear) perhaps a slightly smoother top end and even a bit better bass without subs. More importantly perhaps, it simplifies my upstream signal routing allowing for my DAC/preamp of choice without the possible issue of double A/D conversion using the Minidsp.

Heeld

Like Dave I am lucky enough have both the LXmini and its big brother the LX521.
For what it is worth I am very happy running the mini without subs. The bass is of good quality, albeit not deep.
The LX521 is next level but needs a big room. The bass is extraordinary.
Both are endgame speakers for me.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like Dave I am lucky enough have both the LXmini and its big brother the LX521.
If you don't mind reporting, what kind of dollars are you looking at for both of these speakers? It's not exactly clear from his site. I presume you order a kit, with electronics and amplifiers? And then assemble the speaker? Thanks in advance.

xarkkon

The LXstudio subs are quite expensive – there are other solutions that are more economical – but if you can afford them and have room for them they would certainly improve performance of the minis.

The HD version sounds fine – and the original version was, after all, good enough for Linkwitz. But there is now an analogue crossover by Nelson Pass that had Linkwitz' blessing. That is what I now use for my minis – the sound is very close to the Minidsp with (to my entirely subjective ear) perhaps a slightly smoother top end and even a bit better bass without subs. More importantly perhaps, it simplifies my upstream signal routing allowing for my DAC/preamp of choice without the possible issue of double A/D conversion using the Minidsp.
Pass himself made an analog crossover for this? This just keeps getting better! Heh.
Haven't seen active crossovers before. I'd much rather a passive one if only to reduce the number of wall warts and cables all over the place. heh.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If you don't mind reporting, what kind of dollars are you looking at for both of these speakers? It's not exactly clear from his site. I presume you order a kit, with electronics and amplifiers? And then assemble the speaker? Thanks in advance.
You can buy a kit, or just buy the plans and get the parts yourself. It uses US standard drainage parts, but the forum has details of various other nations' equivalents. Madisound don't hide their kit pricing:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/lxmini-linkwitz-lab-speaker-kit-pair/
Plans here. Various local suppliers will sell you the drivers, such as Falcon Acoustics in the UK.
The cheaper Peerless sub mentioned earlier was designed for the LXmini's predecessor the Pluto
https://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/subwoofer.htm

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Pass himself made an analog crossover for this? This just keeps getting better! Heh.
Haven't seen active crossovers before. I'd much rather a passive one if only to reduce the number of wall warts and cables all over the place. heh.
Pass talked about the design at Burning Amp 2017

OP
S

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I spent more on spraypaint, screws, and speaker wire than on the parts other than the drivers. Add my labor, and the price of the drivers is barely a speed bump on the road to dipole bliss.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
A passive crossover is not really feasible for this speaker. There's a thread about it over on DIYaudio forum in the Passlabs section. See also the oplug forum for the real nitty gritty.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ta-da! To explain, when I built this house, I installed 2" PVC through the slab foundation running from various places into an equipment closet. That's why you don't see the speaker wire. I installed an IR repeater in the ceiling above the TV. The MiniDSP 4x10, Mac Mini, and Nord 4-channel amp are in that closet. (I just recently had to re-do the connections behind the TV which feed a new Xbox below, so I haven't yet cleaned up those cables under that cabinet).

Very smart!

I find it amazing how people will spend megabucks on equipment but then deploy it in such an unsightly way, with visible wiring everywhere.

Concealed wiring and equipment should be the norm, not the exception.

Milan

I just wanted to give an update on (minidsp?) hiss.

So I put together 2 nc252mp with Ghent case (balanced inputs) and got some new interconnects. So right now I am running chromecast audio (optical) denon 4300 (canare rca from Ghent) minidsp 2x4hd (unbalanced to balanced cables from Ghent) nc252mp (canare 4s11) lxmini.

There's absolutely no sign of hiss/hum anymore I had hiss with some monster unbalanced rca I had and carver av-505 amp.. So whatever the hum cause was, I think fresh cables and (maybe?) amp solved the problem

B&WTube

I constantly see the the LXmini being praised, but never see any owners compare with any of the higher end speakers that I am familiar with. Do any of you Linkwitz owners have experience vs Bowers 805’sd3, Focal 1008BE, or Revel? Thanks in advance!

jeffbook

I just wanted to give an update on (minidsp?) hiss.

So I put together 2 nc252mp with Ghent case (balanced inputs) and got some new interconnects. So right now I am running chromecast audio (optical) denon 4300 (canare rca from Ghent) minidsp 2x4hd (unbalanced to balanced cables from Ghent) nc252mp (canare 4s11) lxmini.

There's absolutely no sign of hiss/hum anymore I had hiss with some monster unbalanced rca I had and carver av-505 amp.. So whatever the hum cause was, I think fresh cables and (maybe?) amp solved the problem

A further update on the subject of miniDSP 2x4HD hiss. I have 2 miniDSP 2x4HD units feeding a Nord nCore multichannel amp (3 nc252mp modules and 1 nc122mp module) using the XLR inputs and my own fabricated RCA to XLR cables using the Rane Tech Notes method for cable construction. The speakers are LXminis with two Orion bass nodules with dual Peerless woofers. No hiss from speakers, but one must be careful when routing the RCA to XLR cables to keep the interconnect cables away from any 50/60Hz power cables.

jeffbook

Last edited:
OP
S

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I constantly see the the LXmini being praised, but never see any owners compare with any of the higher end speakers that I am familiar with. Do any of you Linkwitz owners have experience vs Bowers 805’sd3, Focal 1008BE, or Revel? Thanks in advance!
I can compare them to box-based speakers of similar design and quality: Aerial Acoustics, KEF, and Dutch & Dutch. There is something very different about the mid- and lower-bass area, and all I can say is that you can tell that there is no box. Rather than a punchy-type sound, the Linkwitz designs make it impossible to locate a box in space. The Dutch have a buttery-smooth response, but I still hear the box. That's even more true with any B&W, including high-end lines, which to my ears sound very "damped."

jeffbook

I had a similar experience with my Linkwitz Orion system after I built it in 2003. I bundled up the pair along with the associated electronics (2 Adcom GFA-2535 amps and the Orion analog signal processor) and carted them over to the local Revel dealer in town. I had a long business relationship with one of the owners (27 years at that time....) and set them up in the room with their Revel Salons. Much as suttondesign stated, no box sound from the Orions and they simply disappeared relative to the Salons. To me, the Orions were easily the better speaker with much better tonal quality and realism as well as imaging.

Based on my personal experience, the LXminis with the Orion bass modules are superior to the Orions. I haven't compared them to any box speaker in a heads up comparison like I did with the Orions, but in 3 trips to RMAF over the years, I never found any speaker I felt was better than the Orions until I heard Linkwitz's LX521 and the LXmini. I do, however, admit to being a strong Linkwitz devotee, having had the opportunity to discuss speaker design at his home twice and at the 3 RMAF events I attended prior to his passing in 2018. Read in whatever bias you want to based on this statement.

Top Bottom