• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Live Performance DAC - advice required!

Cloudbuster

I play keyboards with Cloudbusting - the music of Kate Bush, and I would really appreciate some advice regarding DACs. Hope this is ok to ask as my first post!

I trigger sample libraries and soft synths with two MIDI controller keyboards through Mainstage 3 on my MacBook Pro. Covid 19 has wiped this and most of next year's gigs off the board and so I'm using the time to redesign my onstage set-up. Currently I use a UAD Apollo Twin (first generation) to convert digital from my MacBook into analogue so send to FOH. I use the 1/4" headphone jack to link to the band's in-ear personal monitoring system. I'm hoping to retire the Apollo and replace it with a dedicated DAC, optimising my budget (£400 to £700?) to get the best possible sound for the price and not paying for any unused pre-amp inputs that are part and parcel of the usual audio interface route. I use fewer of the UAD plugins than I'd expected to and am happy to sacrifice the additional processing the Apollo affords.

Ideally, I would like a DAC that has its own power supply (ie not bus-powered), is utterly stable in operation and is relatively portable (ie not a full sized rack width). I only need one pair of balanced L/R outputs to go to FOH (ideally 1/4" jack as those are what I have in my custom cable looms, although I could swap the jacks for XLRs if needed). I also need one 1/4" headphone jack to lead independently to our personal monitoring system. Crucially, I must be able to output BOTH main outs and headphone out at the same time, as I need to hear what I play, ideally with independent volume control.

I'm going to deep-dive into all the reviews on this site to see if the ideal DAC exists for me - but I was wondering if anyone could immediately recommend something. As I hope I've intimated, the quality of the sound that reaches the audience's ears is really the most important thing of all. Many years ago I had a Centrance Dacport, which I loved, and seemed to lift a few veils even on the excellent sound of the Apollo, but it didn't meet the above criteria and so was useless live. Oh, and I lost it.

So, hoping you guys can recommend the VERY BEST current DAC for the price (up to £700 but ideally a bit less) which has the meagre output requirements I've mentioned and uses the money to create spectacular sound. Thank you!

Michael

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am not sure that the Topping D90 meets all these requirements, but if not it would come close. It is small and portable and has balanced output. I am not sure about whether it can do the line out and headphone out at the same time. Apos Audio sells them, and there is a review here on ASR.

Tks

Major Contributor
Line out and headphone out with independent volume control? Dont know about if such exists in the basic consumer segment.

dfuller

Major Contributor
How much is an RME ADI-2 DAC across the pond?

dfuller

Major Contributor
In North America or in Europe side of the pond?
Europe. I'm assuming OP is in the UK given the use of a pound symbol.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a DX7 Pro and it has simultaneous xlr line out and headphone out. SINAD is SOTA.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
create spectacular sound

I have a Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB

Here is a link to a little test - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...terface-gen-3-review.10187/page-7#post-419212

I don't see what audible difference you expect from a home style DAC vs a decent musician's interface.

The test exercises both ADC and DAC functions. Looks "good enough" to me.

It has separate headphone outs with volume.

Balanced inputs and outputs.

SPDIF (coax and TOSLINK) inputs.

Coax digital output.

USB input/output/control.

Even a midi in/out, though I don't know what to do with it. Will have to investigate.

What else do you need?

---

I'm using it as a digital mixer in my home system right now, along with the ability to plug in a guitar or two.

---

On the other hand, I can understand where you might just want a simple DAC.

Last edited:

mnemonix

I wouldn't subject a consumer grade DAC to life on the road. If you want an independantly controllable headphone output then 4 channels might be more flexible than two since you should be able to set up a separate headphone/monitoring mix. You might just have to accept paying for the mic pres as the cost of having a professional interface, but as ASR has established, you don't need a huge budget to get top tier DAC functionality so whatever you choose should be well within budget. If it were me I'd go for a Motu M4 rather than a Focusrite. I currently use an older Motu Ultralight.

OP
C

Cloudbuster

Thank you so much for your answers, guys - I'm learning a lot!

I'm hearing people's thoughts that the traditional audio interface might well be the best way to go, though I'm concerned that so many of the ones I'm interested in are bus-powered. I really want to keep the power separate as both my MIDI controllers are bus powered and I don't want to compromise a set-up that HAS to be 100% stable on stage. (With my Apollo, it HAS been stable for 6 years or more, so I know it's achievable).

My problem now is that I've been reading so much about the capabilities of the Topping D90 and have convinced myself that it is going to sound better than my Apollo, or indeed the RME Babyface/MOTU M2 (bus-powered, I know) I was previously considering.

I've also realised that I don't, after all, need the balanced outputs to be 1/4" jacks, and I don't actually need the headphone output with independent volume control. I'll just send the XLRs to FOH and the phono L/R to our in-ear personal monitoring system (Behringer P16 - incredible gear for a musician!!) It doesn't matter that both output at the same level - any volume mis-match can be accommodated further down the audio chain.

So... the main concern raised above is suitability of home-orientated gear for life on the road. I think I'm going to buy the Topping D90 and treat it with kid gloves!

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A beautiful piece of gear indeed -- is the Topping D90. Great flexibility too. It will not disappoint. It feels pretty solidly built too, not sure the kid gloves will be needed, but small enough to fit in a pouch when not in use. Did you order the sliver or black?

Last edited:
OP
C

Cloudbuster

A beautiful piece of gear indeed -- is the Topping D90. Great flexibility too. It will not disappoint. It feels pretty solidly built too, not sure the kid gloves will be needed, but small enough to fit in a pouch when not in use. Did you order the sliver or black?
Haven't ordered yet - but intend to go for black as I like my gear to 'disappear' on stage!

tadawson

https://www.sounddevices.com/product/usbpre-2/

Sound Devices USB-Pre 2. Frequently used for analysis rigs, since flat to about .5 db. These sound amazing (I have one) and are built like a tank. About the only thing it does not have is separate power, but frankly, I think that that is a non issue . . . Might be above your price range, though.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I would seriously recommend something rack mountable if you're taking it on the road. It's far less likely to be damaged in a rack case than if you just toss it in your backpack.

tadawson

You can put pretty much anything on a rack shelf, so myself, I think that is pretty much a non issue. Get what works and fits the budget, and then mount it appropriately.

Top Bottom