• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Live high end streamer test/comparison 9 may 2021, 10:30 CET

NYfan2

Forum Donor
The Dutch online audio magazine Alpha audio is organising a live test of 3 high end streamers, the MSB Discrete, the NAIM ND555 + PS555 and the Grimm MU-1 with the Mola Mola Tambaqui (best DAC ever tested on ASR!), the loudspeakers are the Grimm Audio LS1be. So that's a very interesting setup.

There will be no blind test, every streamer is tested separate with some reference tracks and a track that is live recorded in the studio before the test.
The music from the Grimm LS1be will be recorded with a stereo microphone setup.
The stream is on Youtube and will start at 10:30 CET (Central European Time)
The comments during the test will be in English so easy to follow for everybody who is interested

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Dutch online audio magazine Alpha audio is organising a live test of 3 high end streamers, the MSB Discrete, the NAIM ND555 + PS555 and the Grimm MU-1, the DAC used is the Mola Mola Tambaqui (best DAC ever tested on ASR!), the loudspeakers are the Grimm Audio LS1be. So that's a very interesting setup.

There will be no blind test, every streamer is tested separate with some reference tracks and a track that is live recorded in the studio before the test.
The music from the Grimm LS1be will be recorded with a stereo microphone setup.
The stream is on Youtube and will start at 10:30 CET (Central European Time)
The comments during the test will be in English so easy to follow for everybody who is interested

Must admit, I am struggling to see the point of this. But depends what they mean by "tested"- DAC output run through an analyser I hope.

OP
NYfan2

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Must admit, I am struggling to see the point of this. But depends what they mean by "tested"- DAC output run through an analyser I hope.

I understand what you mean, I'm also wondering what's the point, this setup with only changing the streamer should sound the same all the time..
It's a pity they don't also test a cheap streamer like a Raspberry Pi.

It's only a listening test I guess.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure they will "sound" totally different.
Yup, lots of discussion about the different signatures. I might have to tune in.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
It's a pity they don't also test a cheap streamer like a Raspberry Pi.

Or even a Chromecast Audio.

Also, maybe include a cheap Topping DAC.

OP
NYfan2

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Had to edit my first post, I guessed that DAC used was the Mola Mola Tamqui for al 3 streamers but the Mola Mola is only used with the Grimm, the MSB and the Naim have a DAC implemented and for the test all 3 setups will be connected from thier analog output to the Grimm LS1be.

OP
NYfan2

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Still a bit of overkill because the Grimm LS1be has digital in and it's own DAC with DSP and NCore amplification so you only need the Grimm MU-1 and the Grimm LS1be to have the perfect tranparant setup.

But ofcourse then it is no fun to do a test ;)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Had to edit my first post, I guessed that DAC used was the Mola Mola Tamqui for al 3 streamers but the Mola Mola is only used with the Grimm, the MSB and the Naim have a DAC implemented and for the test all 3 setups will be connected from thier analog output to the Grimm LS1be.

How odd. So this is really a test of the mola mola vs the dac portion of the other 2. So a sighted DAC challenge. I think we know what's coming next.....

Reactions: Tks

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well they played Johnny Guitar Watson!! Right that's a good thing together with the effort they put into it.

Top Bottom