• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Live Albums

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Purple rain. I wore that tape out in my car tape deck in high school.
Oops. Not Live but my favorite. So by proxy a live album from that tour would be pretty great.

Reactions: RHO

vibess

Two great live albums (CD+BD) if your into that kind of music.

1621535427217.png

1621535496873.png

Freeway

Memories of the Palm Beach Pop Festival 1969.
Slept thru Jefferson Airplane waiting for the Stones in the wee hours one cold damp morn.
This album represents the show well.
Got to reminisce about the festival with Wavy Gravy a few years ago. That was cool.

"Paint it black. Paint it black. Paint it black, you Devil."

K54060000000000-00-600x600.jpg

AudioAaron

By 1970 Fleetwood Mac were immensely popular, touring constantly both at home and abroad. in February 1970 the band rocked Boston's legendary Boston Tea Party playing three amazing concerts there for three consecutive nights in a row. The performances were recorded in hopes of releasing a live album but front man Peter Green soon announced his decision to quit the band and the masters were promptly shelved. These recordings - eventually trickled out onto a few albums during the 1980s but with consistently poor sound quality - were finally remixed at SRT studios in 1998. First time on vinyl, a 4LP "book style" collector edition.

Attachments

• artrockstore-fleetwood-mac-live-at-the-boston-tea-party-album_grande.jpg
    artrockstore-fleetwood-mac-live-at-the-boston-tea-party-album_grande.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 103

AudioAaron

Prince And The Revolution – From The Soundboard: 1984 Birthday Show

I can't emphasize enough what an essential release this is for Prince collectors and fans. The performance is incredible, all the more so being able to hear it in this type of sound quality. Prince And The Revolution, literally weeks before "Purple Rain" exploded and made them the biggest act in the country that year, with an astounding club show. The fact something like this shows up 27 years after the concert leaves hope for other gems that just have not circulated yet to see release in the future. Whoever is responsible for sourcing this extraordinary soundboard recording, a million thanks. [SOURCE]

Attachments

• R-14394872-1573655030-8374.jpeg.jpg
    R-14394872-1573655030-8374.jpeg.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 97

AudioAaron

98.12.28 Otokotachi no Wakare

98.12.28 Otokotachi no Wakare (98.12.28 男達の別れ, 98.12.28 Otokotachi no wakare) is the third and final live album by Japanese dub band Fishmans. It documents the band's last ever live performance under the Fishmans name. The show was recorded and filmed at Akasaka Blitz on December 28, 1998, and was first released on September 29, 1999 by Polydor Records in Japan. The album title roughly translates to "A Men's Farewell: December 28th, 1998", a reference to the tour name, and to bassist Yuzuru Kashiwabara's departure from the band and the end of the band's three-piece era. The performance was released on DVD under the name Otokotachi no Wakare 98.12.28 @ Akasaka Blitz (男達の別れ 98.12.28 @赤坂Blitz) in 2005. The album has garnered much underground acclaim.

Attachments

• 98.12.28_男達の別れ_Album_Art.jpg
    98.12.28_男達の別れ_Album_Art.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 95

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bob Dylan in Party Mode. This whole Live Album is fantastic.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Prince And The Revolution – From The Soundboard: 1984 Birthday Show

I can't emphasize enough what an essential release this is for Prince collectors and fans. The performance is incredible, all the more so being able to hear it in this type of sound quality. Prince And The Revolution, literally weeks before "Purple Rain" exploded and made them the biggest act in the country that year, with an astounding club show. The fact something like this shows up 27 years after the concert leaves hope for other gems that just have not circulated yet to see release in the future. Whoever is responsible for sourcing this extraordinary soundboard recording, a million thanks. [SOURCE]
Yes!! Thanks for pointing me in this direction!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oops. Not Live but my favorite. So by proxy a live album from that tour would be pretty great.
Found it! Prince, The Revolution, and his Primary Care Physician?! (Check out the guy in the way back)

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
David Live, 1974. David Bowie hired a musical director for this tour, and the arrangements are wonderful.
Bob Seger at Cobo Hall. Definition of classic rock. Amazing energy.
Alice n Chains Unplugged - in some ways this might be the best album they ever did. The unplugged format hilights the harmonies which made them so unique and in some ways defined that era musically
Related - made season live at the Moore in Seattle.
Rufus Wainwright live from 'The Artist's Den' whatever that is. This was in promotion for the 'Out of the Game Album' which was excellent.
Sylvester live with Patrick Cowley. Very fun album.

Digital Mastering System

Jack Casady in this: PLAY LOUD!

<iframe width="1280" height="852" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I've got a shelf full of concert DVDs and couple that come to mind are Roy Orbison Black and White Night and Queen Live at Wembley. I'm pretty sure I don't have anything that sounds better than the Roy Orbison concert... I'm not really a Roy Orbison or Queen fan but I saw the shows on PBS and I just thought they were great performance... There's also a John Fogerty DVD that I think sounds fantastic, but I don't remember which one. The drums really "jump out". Oh also, Cream Live at Royal Albert Hall.

I enjoy the 5.1 surround and surprisingly even the stereo from the live DVDs often sounds better (to me) than studio recordings. Maybe the mastering is better.

At one time I thought about subjectively rating my concert DVDs for sound quality, video quality, performance, and production. (I'd give poor production ratings for concerts that are interrupted by interviews or that have music video effects.)

rgpit

Forum Donor
Ten Years After: Undead
1622502103259.png

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a shelf full of concert DVDs and couple that come to mind are Roy Orbison Black and White Night and Queen Live at Wembley. I'm pretty sure I don't have anything that sounds better than the Roy Orbison concert... I'm not really a Roy Orbison or Queen fan but I saw the shows on PBS and I just thought they were great performance... There's also a John Fogerty DVD that I think sounds fantastic, but I don't remember which one. The drums really "jump out". Oh also, Cream Live at Royal Albert Hall.

I enjoy the 5.1 surround and surprisingly even the stereo from the live DVDs often sounds better (to me) than studio recordings. Maybe the mastering is better.

At one time I thought about subjectively rating my concert DVDs for sound quality, video quality, performance, and production. (I'd give poor production ratings for concerts that are interrupted by interviews or that have music video effects.)
I love the energy of live albums. In a good live album you can hear the band feeding off the crowds energy. I also like the improvisation where a band blends songs together or expands a song and takes it in a new direction. The Grateful Dead was amazing for that.

Brianc

Talking Heads-The Name of this Band is Talking Heads. Great overview of the band's work pre-Speaking in Tongues.
Motorhead- No Sleep till Hammersmith, only Motorhead album you need.
Black Sabbath: Live Evil. Wore the cassettes out as a teenager, so including based on nostalgia. Might give it a listen.
Kiss Alive 2: see above comment, but vinyl instead of cassettes.
Cheap Trick, Live at Budokan. Undeniable.
Charles Munch/BSO, Ravel's Daphne and Chloe. Not sure if this is live, probably not, but it feels live. My favorite SACD.
Stacey Kent: Dreamer in Concert Discovered thanks to this site, and the kind of live album I want to hear more of at this point in life.

Top Bottom