• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Little help neede with reading REW measurement outcome

AudioRookie

Dear experts

I am a real rookie in this field, so pardon my ignorance.

I managed to make a setup with my calibrated UMIC-1 and made a measurement.
I do not know what to do next in order to generate a EQ filter for use in software TRD NOVA.

What does 'target level' do? Must I change it? I get a warning that I do not understand.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 15.25.48.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 15.25.48.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 15.25.57.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 15.25.57.png
    47 KB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 15.35.41.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 15.35.41.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 117

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is this a subwoofer-only measurement? If so, set 'Speaker Type' to Subwoofer.

What frequencies do you want your subwoofer to play back? Modify your 'target' based on that.

The warning is because you have set the target too low in relation to your in-room response.

The 'target' means that everything above it will be EQ'd down (and, depending on your EQ settings, everything below the target will get boosted). You generally want the target to be mostly following your in-room response or slightly below so that peaks are cut by the generated EQ filters. You can shift the 'target level' up & down where it's optimal.

I wouldn't boost dips at all (or max a couple dBs) since if they're caused by nulls or SBIR EQ'ing them is futile.

You can read more here.

OP
A

AudioRookie

Thank you for answering, unfortunately I still do not understand the principle.
I want to measure the room, and create an correcting EQ so that what comes out of the speakers sounds in this room as close to the original as possible.

Is this a subwoofer-only measurement? No. Just two speakers.

What frequencies do you want your subwoofer to play back? I am afraid I do not understand. All the frequencies that my speakers are able to reproduce I guess?

Last edited:

Eetu

Forum Donor
Thank you for answering, unfortunately I still do not understand the principle.
I want to measure the room, and create an correcting EQ so that what comes out of the speakers is as close to the original as possible.

Is this a subwoofer-only measurement? No. Just two speakers.

What frequencies do you want your subwoofer to play back? I am afraid I do not understand. All the frequencies that my speakers are able to reproduce I guess?
Ok, then you should switch to the 20 - 20 000 Hz view so you can see the full frequency range. Now only the bass region (15 - 200 Hz) is shown.
IMG_20210124_180044.png

OP
A

AudioRookie

Ah, I missed that setting! Now I understand. Thank you so very much!

Eetu

Forum Donor
Ah, I missed that setting! Now I understand. Thank you so very much!
No problem, there is definitely a steep learning curve with REW.

The next step is to decide whether you want to correct the whole frequency range or only the bass region (<~300 Hz) where your room influences the response the most.

Also remember to look into 'speaker targets' aka 'house curves' here and here. If you're listening in a normal room, the in-room response shouldn't be a flat straight line, but instead a gently downward sloping line/curve. I recommend starting with the Harman curve.

OP
A

AudioRookie

The speakers I have are a renovated older product (new elements and rewritten filter), the technician that has designed that filter claimed that the response is now almost flat. (file attached and where it came from http://www.carlssonkult.se/satori.aspx )
Is that maybe the basis for the ’speaker target’?

The attempt I do now for my own home setup is also a training, my goal is to use REW for measuring och correcting larger dance halls I would be DJ (old dance music fom 1935 - 1955). is it important then to really know the brand of speaker for this ’speaker target’ AKA house curve?

Attachments

• 9DA14F64-ACF4-449D-9055-CC3CBC55E290.jpeg
    9DA14F64-ACF4-449D-9055-CC3CBC55E290.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Eetu

Forum Donor
The speakers I have are a renovated older product (new elements and rewritten filter), the technician that has designed that filter claimed that the response is now almost flat. (file attached and where it came from http://www.carlssonkult.se/satori.aspx )
Is that maybe the basis for the ’speaker target’?

The attempt I do now for my own home setup is also a training, my goal is to use REW for measuring och correcting larger dance halls I would be DJ (old dance music fom 1935 - 1955). is it important then to really know the brand of speaker for this ’speaker target’ AKA house curve?
The optimal approach to EQ would be to correct the speakers according to (quasi) anechoic data (like Amir's speaker measurements) and then additionally do room correction in your room (bass region, at listening position).

The measurements you linked seem to be on-axis measurements and they don't tell us a lot about the speaker's directivity, looks good though! If your in-room measurements show the same dips/peaks, I would go ahead and EQ those (at least say, above ~1kHz).

I haven't done any speaker measurements/correction in clubs or concert halls but I'd take a lot of measurements in different parts of the dance floor, average them and EQ based on that. I would use the Moving Mic Method (check this guide) for quicker results.

OP
A

AudioRookie

Thank you, yes, I was present once when someone measured a dancehall and it was done as you describe.

Thanks a lot again for your kind help, very useful info to get going.
take care
and stay healthy

Eetu

Forum Donor
Thank you, yes, I was present once when someone measured a dancehall and it was done as you describe.

Thanks a lot again for your kind help, very useful info to get going.
take care
and stay healthy
Nice! I'm glad if it was of any help. Take care, have fun with REW and DJ'ing!

Top Bottom