• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Little DOT MK3 SE (hybrid) - best headphone

ToxicRisk

Hello,

My setup is currently a Little DOT MK3 SE with a Topping D90.
I drive a ATH-M50 (first gen) with the setup, but since I've this full balanced setup, I plan to get a new heaphone that will fit with the amp.

Some specs about it :
Little Dot MK III SE is a hybrid and fully balanced amplifier.
It uses 6N11 as its preamp tubes(6922/ECC88,etc);
Transistor part runs on a fully discrete, fully symmetry, and pure class A circuit design;
The machine is balanced and it has 3 pin XLR balanced input and 4-pin XLR output, and it also has a RCA input, 6.35 output.
Input impedance:10K ohm
Distortion degree:0.001%(1000 hz)(output: 2v RMS)
SNR:95dB
Frequency response:5 hz-100 KHZ(1 dB)
Output power:
2.5W (32 ohm)
1.8W (120 ohm)
0.8W (300 ohm)
Adapter headphone impedance:32 ohm-600 ohm
Magnification:
Gain = HIGH:9
Gain = LOW:4.5
little-dot-mkiii-se-amplificateur-casque-class-a-symetrique-a-tubes.jpg

I read that output impedance of an amp really matter in the choice of the headphone. Correct me if I'm wrong but the headphone impedance have to be at least x8 the output impedance of the amp, if not there is a FR modification...
I try to find the value of the output impedance from LD MK3SE but can't find it, I contact Little Dot directly but never received any response...
LD only told me that the amp will fit 16-600ohms headphone.

So, I really love the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 / RT, but this can is 13 ohms.
Also, there are two switch into the amp : maybe there is something to do to fit with low impedance headphone ?
1632760243473.png

Is anyone can tell me if i'm going wrong with this headphone ?
Is anyone have a MK3 SE, please share your headphone setup :)

Thanks
V.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not have a similar setup but if the LD only does 16-600 ohms, I'd keep the DCA Aeon' away from it since it's too sensitive at 13ohms. You're better off getting SS amp to power those headphones. Now the allure of a tube amp is understandable, it won't help power those super sensitive headphones correctly.

Grumpish

If it is is a solid state output stage then the impedance of the headphones is not going to be important. I don't know about this model, but on other Little Dot headphone amps the DIP switches are for setting the gain.

OP
T

ToxicRisk

Ok thanks, if anyone knows the output impedance let me know :).

raindance

Major Contributor
I do not have a similar setup but if the LD only does 16-600 ohms, I'd keep the DCA Aeon' away from it since it's too sensitive at 13ohms. You're better off getting SS amp to power those headphones. Now the allure of a tube amp is understandable, it won't help power those super sensitive headphones correctly.
This isn't a tube amp (it's a hybrid - the output is solid state) and impedance has nothing to do with sensitivity, it simply governs flatness of frequency response for headphones whose impedance varies with frequency and also determines maximum power output.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

OP
T

ToxicRisk

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Not exactly the same, I've the SE version, it's a hybrid amp
I would assume the transfer function is similar. Likely good output into high impedance headphones. Try some Sennheisers, maybe.

raindance

Major Contributor
It's a completely different amp! The one tested was a full tube OTL (high impedance) output. Apples and oranges.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For what its worth, the 1+ hybrid has an OI of 6.5 ohm according to this https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/little-dot-i.12096/reviews

Absolutely no guarantee the 3 SE is similar of course but I would guess its not 1ohm like the current crop of uber solid state head amps , nor 50 ohm of the non hybrid 3.

But I wouldnt try and pair any little dot with insensitive low impedance planars- go for high impedance solid state like the Sennheiser HD6// family. EDIT I clearly meant high impedance dynamic drivers. What a plonker.

I have the 1+ and dont use it as it is just too noisy and ungainly for my tastes.

Last edited:
OP
T

ToxicRisk

Ok great,
if I am based on 6.5ohms, and I respect the rule of 8x the impedance output of the amp.
I cannot drive the 32 ohm - 55 ohm headphone => like Focal or other ?

raindance

Major Contributor
It doesn't mean you cannot drive them, just that they are likely to have slightly uneven frequency response. It'll probably sound fine. Don't fret, just listen.

OP
T

ToxicRisk

Ok ok, last question before buying my headphone (I think i'm gonna go with the LCD-2).
The little dot MK3 SE is balanced, does it have an impact on output impedance ?

Jimmy

Planars normally have flat impedance curves, so the only problem of using a very low impedance and inefficient headphone may be that it could overstress the output stage, but I don't think that's the case here, so it will probably be just fine.

I would just try it, and if it falls short look elsewhere.

Top Bottom