• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Little Advice needed. REW file attached

charbug

I have a room that I have used Audiolense and some great technical help/service to get dialed in. I have some room treatments and was thinking about pulling some of the less effective stuff out of the corners and putting six of these in the corners to try and go after the low end and getting a little better setup.

Massive Bass Trap - Rim – Audio Virtue Acoustics

The room feels a little overdamped to me now and the last thing I want is to kill the room. I have attached a MDAT file for everyone to look at and I really would appreciate some feedback. I have had friends with great ears listen and the feedback I get is I am going after something I will never tame and to leave well enough alone. So please take a look and give me some feedback. I do know the massive bass trap (23.5" x 15.5" x 47.5") is much thicker than anything I have now and has a chance of helping out alot or not. I know if I do this I will have to redo the file I am running in audiolense but it may be well worth it.

Quick question at 125HZ I have something weird going on and I assume it is just a room mode that audiolense could not help with it. The REW data attached is at the listening position with both channels and the sub active.

Thanks,
Rob

PS Here is a review of the system and a link to the thread
The room looks great by the way. He has spent some money on the room treatments and on the electronics.

We listened first to the Jubes w/o the sub first off all analog with a custom non eq passive Crossover. I was shocked at the curve of the bass bin with no EQ. It was w/o the humps seen in the typical unmodified response curve. Yes there was a small peak at 1.5 K and 10K. We only heard a few tracks with this setup.

Then switched to the digital he has described above.

This system has no preamp. From PC via USB to the hilo then to the amps. The idea of doing something like this with a DEQX in the past has been discussed here before. He considered this route before.

We switched to the digital and I was out the gate surprised with what I heard. I played mostly my late 70's funk tracks that I've listened to multiple hundreds of times. No doubt that the two tracks Con funk shun "Miss got the body" and Cameo "Keep it Hot" are the best I've heard when it comes to detail, 3D and freakin' "decay". I've never heard a system that makes the decay of instruments this noticeable. These are old recordings too. I also played tracks that had notable strengths in the 80 Hz area that I love and it reproduced those well. There are also many tracks I played that will kill my ears if the K402's aren't setup right....and it didn't do that either.
This isn't a "warm" system by any means. I've never heard that PASS Xa25 before....it is possible I'm picking up its benefits with all the detail. The sound didn't get brittle which I've heard in the past with jubes (I'm not going there so don't ask).

Bass is clean and snappy. I give him some credit, most would have the bass unnaturally turned up with this system...... I'm mean how could you not with that 1802 in your face. The bass was well integrated and just at the right strength in my tracks I played. I see no reason to stuff the jubes in the corners.

Quick summary, this system has exceptional detail, balance and decay like I've never heard before. No warmth. Some 3D. No hiss at all with an ear up to the horn. No pops or clicks. Can't hear the fan on the crown amp.

To my ears, the right channel is a tad bit hotter....but it could be my ears. In my room the stereo always seems to be hotter on my left...go figure.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this route of setup to anyone else if they didn't like the usual digital setup for some reason.

Attachments

• Oct 22 before and after rock wool - Copy.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
OP
C

charbug

No one has a theory on what is going on at 125hz? The Topt takes off at that point and really trying to figure that out

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't open your MDAT file. I don't know why. This happened with someone else's file too recently. It says 'File is not in MDAT format'.

Regarding your 'Massive Bass Trap', it seems to make a big point of absorbing not only bass but way up the spectrum too. I'm not sure that's such a good idea. I use GIK Soffit Bass Traps and I suggest you compare them:

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-soffit-bass-trap/

I don't know how to compare sabins with absorption coefficients.

OP
C

charbug

I sent this file to a friend as well and he had same problem. He had to download the latest version of REW and then it worked.

OP
C

charbug

I did some more sweeps. this file has the left, right, and both speakers with the Sub active on all sweeps. This is with the DSP active. I run my DSP through the J river convolution and Audiolense is the software used for Crossovers and DSP

Attachments

• left right both with dsp.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 52
OP
C

charbug

Here is the same Sweeps of the left, Right, and both with No DSP room correction, just using it for the crossover ONLY. so there is no PEQ or time alignment of drivers

Attachments

• no correction.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 54
Top Bottom