• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listening to the ground

oozlum

Recently I read an interesting article about how elephants communicate with each other either by rumble (vocal noises - greeting, warning, mating etc - not only traveling through the air but also into the ground) or seismic vibrations (or both). In the article there was mentioned a lot of parallels that correspond with 'You know you've had too much ASR when...' thread - pinpointing the location of elephants (imaging in stereo field), sound recordings can be interrupted by rain, wind and trees (high noise floor) etc. Not to mention that some member here or on another forum was comparing subwoofer output as earthquake seismic event. :) I thought it might be fun to share and hopefully this post might provide some further understanding/imaging the complexity yet elegance of the nature. Who knows - in the time when more subwoofers are almost obligatory they might be inspired by this communication tactics in future developments. ;)

Rumbles elephants make travel through the air and the ground.
Beth Mortimer, Author provided Rumble in the jungle: an ear to the ground can tell us how elephants are faring in the wild

A-Tech

Recently I read an interesting article about how elephants communicate with each other either by rumble (vocal noises - greeting, warning, mating etc - not only traveling through the air but also into the ground) or seismic vibrations (or both). In the article there was mentioned a lot of parallels that correspond with 'You know you've had too much ASR when...' thread - pinpointing the location of elephants (imaging in stereo field), sound recordings can be interrupted by rain, wind and trees (high noise floor) etc. Not to mention that some member here or on another forum was comparing subwoofer output as earthquake seismic event. :) I thought it might be fun to share and hopefully this post might provide some further understanding/imaging the complexity yet elegance of the nature. Who knows - in the time when more subwoofers are almost obligatory they might be inspired by this communication tactics in future developments. ;)

Rumbles elephants make travel through the air and the ground.
Beth Mortimer, Author provided Rumble in the jungle: an ear to the ground can tell us how elephants are faring in the wild
Cool reading!

OP
O

oozlum

For some reason it reminded me of this post about measuring turntable rumble - would elephants be more troublesome than a bus?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...es-vinyl-really-sound-better.7942/post-194901

I used to study pharmaceutical faculty in the building that was close to highway. Some highly sensitive analytical machines were picking up rumble from heavier trucks passing by. Not to mention heat from straight sun shining through window-glass walls classes. Results from morning/afternoon experiments (same measurements) were all over the place.

“ . .causing (even more) subsonic rubbish and even skipping . . “

Another example was DJing from vinyl or serato control set-up. People dancing near DJ booth, needle skipping.

Concrete blocks forever!

Last edited:
Top Bottom