• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listening to music via Aptx Adaptive bluetooth speakers

Fusionhunter

Hi, I'm scratching my head trying to work out if buying a better smartphone with a higher quality audio chip will enhance my system.
I currently have at the front end a Nokia 7.1 mobile phone which has Aptx adaptive capability and using poweramp playing mostly 16/44 lossless files via bluetooth to my Kplisch monitor speakers.
Although the nokia will send a signal via bluetooth I wonder if a better smartphone with a dedicated audio chip would improve things.
I can't see anywhere on the net that gives me this answer.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apt-x is great vs lower quality stuff. LDAC I haven't heard so I'm not sure if that's an audible difference.

If I were you I'd simply get a Chromecast or something that doesn't rely on Bluetooth.

qec

I assume your speakers are powered and currently have bluetooth input as an option supporting Aptx. Most if not all of the Klipsch speakers also support optical as well. If you are really concerned you can get a streaming device and pick up a digital optical out from the streamer and drive the speakers.
Amir measured a couple of devices that support Aptx and LDAC and the LDAC codex was measurably better by a decent margin. I am streaming LDAC from my phone to either a Topping DAC with LDAC bluetooth support or using a Drok bluetooth receiver using coax digital out. Sounds very good to me and I certainly appreciate the convenience.

Top Bottom