• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listening to Jazz, what era are you most enjoying? Mostly instrumental or mostly vocal?

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a decent collection of Jazz recordings, digital and some analog (Vinyl) I listen at 80% to instrumental, I would enjoy vocal more, but, to me, the jazz vocal sound mostly dumb. Like cheap romance literature. So instrumental it is.
I recently realized I am mostly listening to artist and recordings from mid 1950s to mid 1970s. I made an effort lately to try to find (streaming) more contemporary jazz, but realized, there is not much. Also found an info that Jazz seems to account for 1.4% of music sales now.
I do not really mind, as I have so much to listen too, even what I just own, can keep me entertained. How about you, ASR members, if you are into jazz, what kind of jazz are you much into?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

threni

Major Contributor
Late 50s to early 70s. (Post swing to early fusion). Plus some stuff since. Without vocals generally please.

Adi777

Definitely instrumental. What era? Hmm, difficult question, because 60s and 70s are fantastic, but I think I prefer the 60s at least.

threni

Major Contributor
to me, the jazz vocal sound mostly dumb. Like cheap romance literature. So instrumental it is.
I agree with this. But I'd not limit that criticism to jazz; it's lyrics generally. I don't care what the song is about; I don't want to hear about your broken heart, drug experiences, existential crisis or religious drivel. I'm really only interested in the music. Fortunately with classical music it's often in a foreign or legacy language so I can't understand it, and with other forms of music - especially rock - the vocals are an unintelligable mess. But in a parallel universe music is supplied to the consumer as a multi-track recording and I'm able to fade that shit way down.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Wow, some pretty strong opinions. You must hate literature because that is also pretty much full of other people telling their stories. I for one really want to hear about other peoples experiences and learn from them and to feel connected to others.

Last edited:

Eetu

Forum Donor
Late 50s to late 60s is the comfort zone for me. Mostly instrumental, love the Coltrane/Hartman collabs though.

Some later experimental/minimalist/fusion too of course, but that's more hit or miss.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Lots. Recent stuff I've been enjoying: Tom Misch, Yussef Dayes, Matthew Halsall, Makaya McCraven, Nubya Garcia, Alfa Mist, Floating Points/Pharoh Sanders, Avishai Cohen, and lots of nordic jazz...
I actively listen to half of the artists on that list, but don't recognize the other half. Thanks for sharing and it looks like I have some listening to do!

I listen all sorts of different jazz styles, and a lot of jazz inspiried/derivative music. I don't actively dislike lyrics in jazz, but I do prefer instrumental and it's well over 90% of what I listen to. I started listeing to jazz decades ago with 50's thru 70's jazz, especially the Blue Note label. From there my enjoyment of jazz has expanded out in all sorts of directions. It's easier to explain what jazz I don't listen to, like light jazz, new age jazz, and a lot of stuff from the 80's thru the end of the last mellinium is just not my jam.

Modern artists recently in my rotation: Omar Avital, Alex Riel, Nicholas Payton, Massimo Biolcati, Snarky Puppy, Takuya Kuroda, Christian Sands
Recent rotation of jazz inspiried/derivative music: Mr. Moods, Erik Jackson, Anitek, DJ Cam Quartet, Frenic
Examples of jazz vocalists I like: Cyrille Aimeé, Blossom Dearie, Louis Armstrong, Melody Gardot, Gregory Porter, Norah Jones, Billie Holiday, Ela Fitzgerald, Madeleine Peyroux

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Not familiar with Nordic Jazz, would you be able to recommand who to listen to as a good example of that genre?
Of course. Tord Gustavsen Trio, Tingvall Trio, and Helge Lien easily come to mind. Helge is a fantastic pianist and has solo, duet, and trio albums. His duet with Knut Hem (on drobo), "Hummingbird" is surprising and unexpected. It's very atmospheric, haunting at times. I also love his Trio albums. You'll find a lot of beautifully recorded northern talent on the ECM label.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fusion for me. John McLaughlin being in the for front.

Adi777

Fusion for me. John McLaughlin being in the for front.
Which album you prefer? The Inner Mounting Flame or Birds of Fire? For me debut is better.
You know polish violinist Zbigniew Seifert?
Check out his album "Man of the Light".

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fusion (Brand X, Weather Report, Pat Metheny, ...) Nordic Jazz (Lars Danielsson, Terje Rypdal, Arild Andersen, Ketil Bjõrnstad, Jan Garbarek, ...) and others (John Abercrombie, Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia, Art Blakey, Joe Henderson, Dollar Brand, Charlie Haden, United Jazz & Rock Ensemble, ...).

Last edited:

Andretti60

Of course. Tord Gustavsen Trio, Tingvall Trio, and Helge Lien easily come to mind. Helge is a fantastic pianist and has solo, duet, and trio albums. His duet with Knut Hem (on drobo), "Hummingbird" is surprising and unexpected. It's very atmospheric, haunting at times. I also love his Trio albums. You'll find a lot of beautifully recorded northern talent on the ECM label.
Terje Rypdal, an amazing musician from Norway.

Top Bottom