• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Listening Room Configuration and Treatment

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is Iverson an older guy who bought his house before the tech boom? You'd probably have to be a hundred-millionaire or billionaire now to afford that place if it is located, as I suspect from the view, in the hilly area around Silicon Valley.
I suspect this is the house.

1565807415207.png

1565808181957.png

1565807802762.png
1565807954935.png

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor

Thomas savage

Power hungry desperado
The Watchman
Patreon Donor
Not creepy at all, Ray! I was just speculating on whether the guy was a tech billionaire, not asking where his house is.
Give ray 24 hours and we can examine the contents of the bins ..

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
Good thoughts from @Ron Texas and @Soniclife Whatever you choose, just make sure the setup is symmetrical (use a tape measure and/or laser distance measure down to 1/4" tolerance if you can). The 8c's do very well when placed almost up against whatever front wall you choose. <40cm is good, 30cm even better, as this is what they are designed for :) Unless there is a special requirement for BAACH, I would go with the equilateral triangle.

REW's room simulator is a good one and there are others like: http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/loudspeakers.html and https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc

But there is no substitute for setting up and measuring the room with REW. I presume you have a measurement mic?

Aside from frequency response, REW has a plethora of views to help you better understand your room acoustics:

Waterfall view: will show you modal decay of low frequencies below the rooms transition frequency - ideally all low frequencies should decay at the same rate (but never will :). If you require bass traps, put them in the 4 corners of the room for maximum effectiveness.

Energy Time Curve (ETC): will show you the rooms early reflections for the first 40ms - rule of thumb, the reflections should be ~-15 dB down from the direct sound over that time period.

RT60 - while technically there is no reverb time in small room acoustics, REW has a good algorithm (Topt) for small rooms and this measure is useful above the rooms transition frequency to get an idea of how dead or live the room is. A nice flat response from 300Hz to 10 kHz will yield a neutral sounding room. Typical RT60 Topt ranges for small room acoustics is around 200 to 400ms. Note it is better to have a more lively room than a dead one. Most folks overdo it on the absorption rather than using diffusion. A overly absorbent room takes the life out of the music.

Those 3 basic measurements will help tune your room up. DSP, like in my sig, can shape the frequency response to a spec or taste. It may be you can get away with a few on-board PEQ filters, but like any physical room, below Schroeder is going to have it's ups and downs in frequency response.

I find https://www.atsacoustics.com/ offers quality products at an affordable price.

Once setup and system measured, share the REW .mdat and we can sort you out wrt to passive room treatments.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for this information! I have a cheap Behringer measurement mic, which seems to work fine. (I also have a relative who owns a pair of Earthworks QTC 40s that I may be able to use if he visits.) I will set up the system and share those as soon as we are in the house.
I will not, however, be able to share photos if folks will be able to figure out exactly where we live!

Top Bottom