• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listening Comparison Test: DSP Phono vs SUT

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, just select the track in its entirety. Under analyze click Contrast. It will give you the RMS level. Plus it has another box where you can select a different track if you have more than one open in Audacity. And it gives you RMS level of that and the difference in db between them. I'd suggest this will work better than normalize because pops or ticks on an LP can be high enough to corrupt normalizing. I also suggest going in and manually reducing any large ticks or pops like especially the one you get when you sit the need down in the groove.

View attachment 30679

If Audacity is accurate, these two uploads should be adjusted to be within 0.01 dB RMS of each other (used Amplify, rather than Normalize)

These are two different configurations. I'll stay silent for now about what the differences are. No pop or tick removal.

Mystery Config 1:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Usu6psmFBVlZ48JRV5RC7W4YRL9cvPfd

Mystery Config 2:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kZ2IUR-nqETsU6ZBXvq0GdhNaTtWiRMg

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Right channel is clipping in both files.

1564946539464.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I don't hear a difference on the desktop speakers.

I thought I did, then I think I don't.

Good level match.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a circuit difference between them.

I'm curious if the null testing software can identify anything.

I'll give it a try, but the timing variations get in the way. I'll also of course listen a bit later, and do that before trying the Deltawave software.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, they are identifiable as different. It doesn't amount to much. An easy place to hear it is isolated 1:21.5 to 1:28.5 and listen to each. Listen carefully to the piano notes trilled heavily in the right channel and a slightly delayed echo from those in the left. The right channel sounds a little bit less sharp in the version 2 and the echoed delay is less in evidence. Possibly a minor upper midrange FR difference? Maybe a difference in distortion levels? It isn't much, and I don't know you'd hear it just normally listening to a track. I was trying my intent listening method with less than 10 seconds and immediate switching between them.

There are other places to hear the difference like when the cymbals on the drum set are off to one side, but the piano is easier to hear.

This was listening over headphones (Sony MDR 7510 with headphone out of the Antelope Audio Zen Tour). Haven't tried speakers yet.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Okay, they are identifiable as different. It doesn't amount to much. An easy place to hear it is isolated 1:21.5 to 1:28.5 and listen to each. Listen carefully to the piano notes trilled heavily in the right channel and a slightly delayed echo from those in the left. The right channel sounds a little bit less sharp in the version 2 and the echoed delay is less in evidence. Possibly a minor upper midrange FR difference? Maybe a difference in distortion levels? It isn't much, and I don't know you'd hear it just normally listening to a track. I was trying my intent listening method with less than 10 seconds and immediate switching between them.

There are other places to hear the difference like when the cymbals on the drum set are off to one side, but the piano is easier to hear.

This was listening over headphones (Sony MDR 7510 with headphone out of the Antelope Audio Zen Tour). Haven't tried speakers yet.

Very good.

Do want to know what the difference is?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Listening over speakers in short segments, it sounds like version 2 has just a tiny bit more noise in the noise floor between notes. Of course if you had to use different gain that would explain that and might not mean much otherwise. Again, sighted listening impressions. Be nice if some others would listen and chime in. Also this is a tiny not really important difference (which also might not be real).

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Here are 3 more files.

Unlike Mystery 1 and Mystery 2, which were recorded with speakers off, these were recorded with speakers on.

One of these new files also has the same configuration as either Mystery 1 or Mystery 2, but with speakers on.

The rest are all different configurations of SUT and/or no SUT.

The differences here are bigger than in the first two mystery files, so should be easier to tell apart, although volume is leveled to within 0.15 dB.

Mystery Config 3:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hjnGoGaAVKZsREPgy5B3nWabvsmjmEZc

Mystery Config 4:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1espdAAjdt-bILiwuonPux8Ufi4jwWT_l

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WSMhG3Ff0Wko0GPGyrfxlUlROba9S8vl

Mystery Config 5:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w7D2Jtp0Xweag0tLpNpqV0Hg_NOfzRSj

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ix1ilzhRHs21GT0mewLzJLryezliwXDd

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@watchnerd Not sure what is going on. Sounds like a microphone is on and adding in sounds from the room into them. I hear a girl's voice in two of them (4 and 5 very clearly in 5). Breaths drawn in and other noises that sound like they were in the room and not part of the recording. Did a laptop mix in its microphone with the recording or something of that sort? Maybe it was a TV playing nearby. Anyway, take a listen to these. Check out around the 2 minute mark of 4. Lick the plates of lots of babies????? Black is a winter color. So on and so forth. Mostly in 4 and 5.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
@watchnerd Not sure what is going on. Sounds like a microphone is on and adding in sounds from the room into them. I hear a girl's voice in two of them (4 and 5 very clearly in 5). Breaths drawn in and other noises that sound like they were in the room and not part of the recording. Did a laptop mix in its microphone with the recording or something of that sort? Maybe it was a TV playing nearby. Anyway, take a listen to these. Check out around the 2 minute mark of 4. Lick the plates of lots of babies????? Black is a winter color. So on and so forth. Mostly in 4 and 5.

I'm not 100% sure what happened, and while I could make an educated guess, it might taint things.

I've updated 4 & 5. Links corrected above.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Okay, 3 has issues, too. I'll re-do that one another night.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Okay, I ran some experiments tonight. Sorry no rips.

But the issue I'm hearing has something to do with the subwoofer.

Direct into the Devialet, no SUT, the subwoofer sounds well-blended.

Add the SUT, bass sounds anywhere between lush and lumpy.

Turn off the subwoofer, run the speakers full range (no more high pass), and the SUT sounds much closer to the direct input, with no bass issues. There are still differences....noise floor is lower (yay), dynamics seem a tad improved (yay), there is less air / it's less dry and it's more midrange forward (subtle, mostly a matter of taste preference).

So here are some hypotheses. None of these have been tested yet:

1. The SUT just sends more bass, period, than the direct connection (but why? is it subsonic? but my subsonic filter is on...). So it might simply be a matter of dialing the subwoofer back.

2. There is some acoustic interference issue with the cart/arm/SUT itself that the SUT is magnifying in some way, regardless of subwoofer level.

3. Phase or timing issues being introduced that I don't have an obvious way to assess easily.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, I ran some experiments tonight. Sorry no rips.

But the issue I'm hearing has something to do with the subwoofer.

Direct into the Devialet, no SUT, the subwoofer sounds well-blended.

Add the SUT, bass sounds anywhere between lush and lumpy.

Turn off the subwoofer, run the speakers full range (no more high pass), and the SUT sounds much closer to the direct input, with no bass issues. There are still differences....noise floor is lower (yay), dynamics seem a tad improved (yay), there is less air / it's less dry and it's more midrange forward (subtle, mostly a matter of taste preference).

So here are some hypotheses. None of these have been tested yet:

1. The SUT just sends more bass, period, than the direct connection (but why? is it subsonic? but my subsonic filter is on...). So it might simply be a matter of dialing the subwoofer back.

2. There is some acoustic interference issue with the cart/arm/SUT itself that the SUT is magnifying in some way, regardless of subwoofer level.

3. Phase or timing issues being introduced that I don't have an obvious way to assess easily.
2 & 3 seem more likely, I was thinking phase all the way through your post.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Low tech test. Put a cup 2/3rd full of water on the SUT case. Play music. See if ripples are in the cup.

High tech version. Smart phones have accelerometers in them. Download a free app to graph the results and sit the phone on the SUT case and see what it picks up, and at what frequencies. Sub on/sub off. They work 3 axis and are very sensitive.

Maybe if you have some long cables move the SUT to a different place. You may have it where some room modes in the low end are strong. Move it a few feet and see if it sounds different.

Also with the sound turned up to at least normal, tap on the case to the SUT with a finger. See if it comes through the speakers.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Okay, listening again tonight, I now have a nutso question:

If we assume that there is an electro-acoustic feedback loop, whereby the speakers play music that tweaks resonances in the arm and cart, with a miniscule difference in time.......that the act of the signal going through miles of wire in the transformers makes that time difference longer, thereby changing the resonant behavior of the system?

Speed of light would make me think not, but....phase?

Top Bottom