• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listening Chair

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Bought a new recliner for my listening pleasure this week
I'm really falling in love with it, it's so comfortable but the main
reason I got this one is the adjustable headrest. For critical listening
you can have it all the way down which removes any negative effect
one may have on the systems imaging and FR. Then of course it can
be raised and moved forward to any desired position, or you can go
into full lazyboy mode by raising the feet to where ever you want.
https://www.roomstogo.com/furniture...way-navy-leather-dual-power-recliner/17610139
IMG_2935.JPG
IMG_2937.JPG
IMG_2938.JPG

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bought a new recliner for my listening pleasure this week
I'm really falling in love with it, it's so comfortable but the main
reason I got this one is the adjustable headrest. For critical listening
you can have it all the way down which removes any negative effect
one may have on the systems imaging and FR. Then of course it can
be raised and moved forward to any desired position, or you can go
into full lazyboy mode by raising the feet to where ever you want.
https://www.roomstogo.com/furniture...way-navy-leather-dual-power-recliner/17610139View attachment 124653View attachment 124654View attachment 124655
I'm veggie, so I don't want the leather, but I'm curious as to how much headrests make an audible difference. Have there been any studies into this?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm veggie, so I don't want the leather,
It's a chair, your not supposed to eat it. :p

but I'm curious as to how much headrests make an audible difference. Have there been any studies into this?
I'm not aware of any studies but I'm finding a more open soundstage and slightly different balance.
When I get the ambition I may try doing a FR sweep with REW with the headrest down vs up.
Maybe, I've grown to hating all that tweaking crap in my old age.

For the record I am running a 5.2.4 Atmos surround rig and there's no doubt that the headrest upsets
the sound coming from the rear and overhead speakers.
I know many critical listeners have chair styles that don't have any headrest at all, this gives me the option of choice.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Some people have ethical reasons for being vegetarians.
I don't get it since most all animals eat meat, it's the normal food chain of life?
But OK, more steak for me. ;)

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't get it since most all animals eat meat, it's the normal food chain of life?
But OK, more steak for me. ;)
Such a choice would seem to be a luxury afforded by being a decendant of tens of thousands of years battling our way to the top of the food chain as omnivores. Omnivorous or not, its application to upholstery is new to me too. (Although I do note the seeming exception for wool, just to keep matters confusing.)

The keyboard is in the background, how's that coming along?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oh my piano. It's coming along but very very slowly. My memory issues and the arthritis in my hands, wrists, etc; have interfered in my progress even more than I had imagined. When I look on the web at younger folks it appears they're learning at a 5-1 faster rate or better than I can.
It's OK though, frustrating sometimes but I'm mostly enjoying the time spend and what else do I have to do anyway, sure as hell can't go waterskiing.? LOL

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm veggie, so I don't want the leather, but I'm curious as to how much headrests make an audible difference. Have there been any studies into this?
The height of the back of the chair makes a marked difference in the results of Audyssey in my system, FWIW.
I find if I actually use the headrest of my leather recliner I get a comb-filter like effect which goes away if I lean forward and is not there if I put a folded wool blanket (about ¾" thich because of the folding) behind my head it doesn't happen.
I have a lower backed, less comfortable, chair where this effect doesn't happen and the Audyssey measurements are substantially different, but I usually prefer comfort!

Personally I prefer fabric listening chairs to reduce the close reflections while still having a headrest.

I am sure this is a good answer to comfort without hf reflections.
I have been surprised how big a difference the listening chair and its upholstery made when I did some Audyssey calibration, though I had noticed the "headrest effect" for decades.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@Sal1950 You are going to start a new craze.

Something those silly Harman boys never bothered with. Preference ratings for chairs/furniture. I don't know how they missed this massive opportunity.

Blind testing, with chairs that quickly rotate into position.

P.S. I like your chair, it get my 9.0 preference rating- with or without a subwoofer. ;)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The height of the back of the chair makes a marked difference in the results of Audyssey in my system, FWIW.
I find if I actually use the headrest of my leather recliner I get a comb-filter like effect which goes away if I lean forward and is not there if I put a folded wool blanket (about ¾" thich because of the folding) behind my head it doesn't happen.
I have a lower backed, less comfortable, chair where this effect doesn't happen and the Audyssey measurements are substantially different, but I usually prefer comfort!

I am sure this is a good answer to comfort without hf reflections.
I have been surprised how big a difference the listening chair and its upholstery made when I did some Audyssey calibration, though I had noticed the "headrest effect" for decades.

I use a Stressless leather recliner, and as soon as I got it, I noticed this 'comb-filtering' effect. I use a sheepskin rug over the back of the chair, and it's sufficient to stop the reflections enough so they don't intrude.

Ideally, a low-backed chair would be better, but these recliners are just so damned comfortable!

Listening chair.jpg

S.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a Stressless leather recliner, and as soon as I got it, I noticed this 'comb-filtering' effect. I use a sheepskin rug over the back of the chair, and it's sufficient to stop the reflections enough so they don't intrude.

Ideally, a low-backed chair would be better, but these recliners are just so damned comfortable!

View attachment 124745

S.
Exactly. My favourite chair is one of those too.
I had been considering a dead sheep for mine, your confirmation that it works is added incentive!

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom