• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listening Chair

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Schermafbeelding 2021-04-20 om 14.32.23.png

"The Gamut Hi-Fi Lobster Chair is the world’s first music listening chair. Its ingeniously-crafted headrest incorporates a special material designed to better reflect sound around your ears."

"The first high-end listening chair created to minimize reflections from the surroundings. Instead of having acoustic sound treatments on the wall behind and next to your listening position, the GamuT Lobster Chair effectively dampens these. The effect is dramatic – The soundstage becomes more precise and natural and the music springs to life in your living room.

The GamuT Lobster chair is based upon a Danish Design classic: The Lobster Chair, designed and manufactured by GamuT’s main share holder – Kvist Industries. Normally you can’t have a neck rest while listening to music, because you get a reflection from the material behind your ears, distorting the sound. But GamuT has created a unique acoustical damping material, resulting in an extremely effective sound treatment, while maintaining the Lobster Chair’s breathtaking beautiful design and comfort. Furthermore the shape of the wide headrest also prevents reflections from behind wall behind the listener to affect the soundstage, which eliminates the need for sound treatment behind the listener."

http://www.gamutaudio.com/the-gamut-hi-fi-lobster-chair/

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ever since THAT Gamers Nexus video, I haven't looked at a gaming chair the same way.

I'm going to need to look that one up...

gaming chair

I didn't even really want a "gaming" chair but traditional large, high-backed "executive" chairs seem to have gone out of style and this was on of the largest and highest backed I could find.

LearningToSmile

Close to back on topic?

It's a different kind of chair, but I recently got a Secret Lab Titan XL.

8EozufB.jpg

Hopefully I'll get more use out of it than the typical office chair which completely falls apart in a few years.
Nice, I'm also fond of "gaming" chairs and find arguments about them often misconstrued. I wanted a computer chair with a headrest, solid feeling backrest, ability to recline, and adjustable arm rests - neither ergonomic office chairs or fancy executive chairs really fit the bill.

I went with Vertagear PL6000:
1599175225_1577057.jpg

Tks

Major Contributor
Ever since THAT Gamers Nexus video, I haven't looked at a gaming chair the same way. :p This one looks great, though.

Tbh, didn't need the video, when I was going for my first PC build, complete noob-like. I said to myself "okay, a couple hundred dollars for the chair". After looking at the market, I literally couldn't buy anything other than a Herman Miller (and a few others in the same tier). Unbelievable how bad gaming branded stuff is, even to this day. The only thing that ends up somewhat fine, is the PC parts themselves. Everything around that? Like tables, chairs, etc.. Just pure shovelware.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The head"rest" is critical:

Despite the considerable attention given to speaker movement, no provisions have heretofore been made for isolating the listener's head. As "all motion is relative", I elected to purchase a head and jaw clamp assembly from a retiring brain surgeon. This is mounted to bedrock as described above and provides a secure and stable support for the listener's head. An ancillary benefit is that it completely prevents any jaw motion during serious listening, thereby eliminating changes in the shape of the ear canal documented by psychoacoustic studies.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Me and my selves with Sooty 2013. We have multiple of Irwin rocker seats to listen from all seats are good seats in Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System.

1236324_10151889638210149_1177991166_n.jpg

dasdoing

Major Contributor

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
172DCF75-47D1-4DDD-9D7C-9964D782F0E3.jpeg

Found this beauty at a local consignment shop. Needed a thorough leather polish and has some squeaky legs but super comfortable. Moving it to music room once I’m done restoring it.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 194769
Found this beauty at a local consignment shop. Needed a thorough leather polish and has some squeaky legs but super comfortable. Moving it to music room once I’m done restoring it.
Nice find! Looks comfy. We all need at least ONE proper dad-chair. :D

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is this one:

Particularly useful are the side panels at ear level to absorb unwanted reflections from side walls. I've asked IKEA for the datasheet of acoustic properties but still no answer....

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The head"rest" is critical:

Despite the considerable attention given to speaker movement, no provisions have heretofore been made for isolating the listener's head. As "all motion is relative", I elected to purchase a head and jaw clamp assembly from a retiring brain surgeon. This is mounted to bedrock as described above and provides a secure and stable support for the listener's head. An ancillary benefit is that it completely prevents any jaw motion during serious listening, thereby eliminating changes in the shape of the ear canal documented by psychoacoustic studies.
That would help me to finally watch Parsifal till the end.. you can sell them with Wagner operas. Always wanted to be a Wagner fan but can't stand his operas? Let us help you!

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
all i ever wished for was one of those:

tumblr_p0ha1e1KOI1skkfpco1_1280.png

it even has the fancy foam panels installed :eek:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I have one like this

61rMhVzpskL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

If you lay like this you obviously have comb filtering going on. but you want to leave your head vertical for listening anyways, and when you do there is no audible effect

Zoomer

Katji

Major Contributor
Listening chair? :D Musical amplifiers, listening chairs...next it'll be sleeping beds.

I have one like this
Very thin power cable.

1649258378203.png

hmmm, Z Reviews / Zeos should do chair reviews... ...........if he could sit still for a while.

Top Bottom