• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listen Up.

Watsonian

I'd just like to say that you folks have monitor stands all wrong. I'm here to correct you on this point because this is the Internet. And I can.

Now, some people like standing their monitors on monitor stands but, frankly, that's just wrong.

The trick is to buy a pair and look at them, like abstract sculpture. Place them decoratively wherever you think they'll improve the feng shui.

It's just like having a rug in my "studio". I firmly believe that nothing qualifies as a studio unless it has a rug in it. If there are no featured rugs, it's simply not fit for recording, let alone playback. I don't care what you say to the contrary.

Because you are very clearly wrong and I strongly suspect that you don't own any rugs. Or monitor stands. You are therefore wrong twice over, which is bad.

But back to monitor stands. I feel that they improve the quality of my audio just by being in the same room as the audio. They shape the sound, they mould it, they sculpt it, they improve it in ways that you couldn't possibly understand.

I keep my monitors on the floor, behind the stands, covered by the one true studio rug.

I can hear you asking the obvious question: which speaker stands? Well, the most expensive ones, of course. How could anyone possibly doubt that the most expensive stand is obviously the best?

In fact, they're so expensive that I don't want to damage them by standing actual speakers on top of them. That's why I treat them like an art exhibit.

And anyway, I prefer to listening to stuff through headphones. I just have the speakers to impress people, same goes for the stands.

Mind you it may also have something to do with the fact that I spent all my money on speaker stands so the speakers, hidden under the rug, might be large cardboard boxes. Then again, that could just be a vicious rumour.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think we're all waiting for you to tell us about your audiophile crystals, cable risers, and cryogenically modified & quad-shielded wires.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Be forewarned that this thread must remain humorous and not become a whipping post or Troll feeling frenzy. We give humor great wiggle room here so please just be mindful and Funny.

Carry On!

Katji

Major Contributor
This thread :) is worthless without pics. ............You think I'm kidding? - I even have a folder for studio pics. ...

1626803169518.png

OP
W

Watsonian

Okay, you got me. They were cheap ass stands. I knew you'd find out in the end but I thought I could bluff my way through.

But the rug - which isn't in the picture - the rug's the thing. You'll just have to believe me.

IMG_1953.JPG

Katji

Major Contributor
:) Not bad. ...Thank goodness not more of those IsoAcoustic contraptions stands.

Identify your gear!

We've [I've] seen enough Schiit stacks to last a lifetime.

Desktop speaker stands are mostly boring. ...Or we've pretty much seen them all.
Rugs more interesting. Especially if they're on the wall, acting like acoustic panels.

thegeton

Forum Donor
Be forewarned that this thread must remain humorous and not become a whipping post or Troll feeling frenzy. We give humor great wiggle room here so please just be mindful and Funny.

Carry On!

Is it safe to assume that "...Troll feeling frenzy..." is a typo, and we're not going to be subjected to detailed physical descriptions regarding paroxysms during which the heavy petting of trolls occur?

Plcamp

My cat Elwood says the rugs are more significant than the stands, but his brother Jake disagrees. They chase each other on the rug around the stands, which is better than if there were no rug, because on hardwood they spin out.

OP
W

Watsonian

:) Not bad. ...Thank goodness not more of those IsoAcoustic contraptions stands.

Identify your gear!

We've [I've] seen enough Schiit stacks to last a lifetime.

Desktop speaker stands are mostly boring. ...Or we've pretty much seen them all.
Rugs more interesting. Especially if they're on the wall, acting like acoustic panels.

Gear's pretty simple:
2 x Genelec 8010A's. Not bad for close listening. Use them for monitoring, video conferencing (hate headphones), and curiously listening to stuff.
1 x Merging Anubis. Use that for the above purposes. It's solid and unbelievably flexible - as a DAC? Not sure if it's up there with what some folks have on this forum. Can't fault it for the purpose to which I put it though.
The mic? That's an AEA KU5A, which is unbelievably, seriously, damn. Good. If you're into that sort of thing.

Behind them and (in fact) all around the room are acoustic panels. Not sure what they do for the listening experience but they sure kill the room tone. Stone. Dead. Good for recording spoken word. Not bad for listening, although I'm pretty sure that I've got room nodes and all kinds of weirdness going on in this almost completely square room.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Is it safe to assume that "...Troll feeling frenzy..." is a typo, and we're not going to be subjected to detailed physical descriptions regarding paroxysms during which the heavy petting of trolls occur?
Perfect example of what I mean by not keeping it funny. :p

Katji

Major Contributor
1 x Merging Anubis. Use that for the above purposes. It's solid and unbelievably flexible - as a DAC? Not sure if it's up there with what some folks have on this forum. Can't fault it for the purpose to which I put it though.
It looks good. Many of them do look better than hi-fi DACs.

OP
W

Watsonian

It looks good. Many of them do look better than hi-fi DACs.
In this case function and form work quite well. I’m sure that it could be put to pure Hi-Fi use but I think it’d be overpaying for a lot of functions that probably wouldn’t get used.
Used to have an old Quad. Always liked that unit, not sure what the model was…

Top Bottom