• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Listen and choose the 8th generation digital copy.

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
For a test that determines if people are able to discern differences it is perhaps better to give three fragments. Two identical and 1 different. People have to pick the different fragment.
This is a very reliable method to test if you are able to pick up differences, it is used in food evaluation for instance.
However, comparing three audio fragments might be difficult.
Has this type of test setup been used in audio?
That's the format I used a couple years ago on a similar test. And there were some complaints. That's the reason I did this as a duo trio test.

SIY

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Another format that can work for this is a sorting test, where you have (say) 10 files, each randomly chosen as original or 8th gen (so it may or may not break down to 5 and 5), and the subject has to sort them into two categories. Reference files can also be provided, i.e., a "known" original and a known" 8th gen. The nice thing is that the subject can choose any listening mode he wants, whether A-B, ABX, triangle, whatever. The bad thing is that if the test is unsupervised, it's easy to cheat with file analysis.

Top Bottom