• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

List of Amir's Headphone PEQ filters

MrEWhite

Does anyone know how to properly apply this EQ (the HD 800 S in this case) to an RME ADI-2 DAC? I can only set Peak & Shelf to band 1 & 5.
Edit: Never mind, I set the 40 Hz on band 1, 2.7 kHz on band 2, 5.4 kHz on band 3, 10 kHz on band 5, and set the 75 Hz in the bass and treble section. Works perfectly!

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dumb question-I'm using EAPO and trying to use it with VLC media player because I'm told I can't integrate it with Audirvana. I can't figure out how to use it with VLC. Any suggestions?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Dumb question-I'm using EAPO and trying to use it with VLC media player because I'm told I can't integrate it with Audirvana. I can't figure out how to use it with VLC. Any suggestions?
EAPO is a system wide equalizer. It doesn’t matter if you’re using VLC or watching YouTube in your browser, since EAPO works in the background.

Just install EAPO, set a few filters, and toggle the on/off switch to see if it’s making a difference.

Once you setup a profile in EAPO, open VLC and the sound will automatically be eq’d.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EAPO is a system wide equalizer. It doesn’t matter if you’re using VLC or watching YouTube in your browser, since EAPO works in the background.

Just install EAPO, set a few filters, and toggle the on/off switch to see if it’s making a difference.

Once you setup a profile in EAPO, open VLC and the sound will automatically be eq’d.
unfortunately that doesn't happen. At one time (not sure how I stumbled upon the settings) I had it working but only with VLC-couldn't get it work with any other player. I've tried cycling through the D10B and the internal sounds card and it doesn't work. Oh well, it's not terribly important but wanted to try some EQ profiles on my HP's.

Jumbotron

unfortunately that doesn't happen. At one time (not sure how I stumbled upon the settings) I had it working but only with VLC-couldn't get it work with any other player. I've tried cycling through the D10B and the internal sounds card and it doesn't work. Oh well, it's not terribly important but wanted to try some EQ profiles on my HP's.
It is a relatively common occurrence that Equalizer APO stops working with Windows updates or audio device driver updates. It has just happened to me that after updating the drivers of my onboard audio device, Equalizer APO has stopped working. The solution in my case: uninstall it completely and then reinstall it.

It may not be your case, but I thought it was worth mentioning it.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a relatively common occurrence that Equalizer APO stops working with Windows updates or audio device driver updates. It has just happened to me that after updating the drivers of my onboard audio device, Equalizer APO has stopped working. The solution in my case: uninstall it completely and then reinstall it.

Thanks- I'll try that.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Peace equalizer has a text prompt upon startup each time warning users about this and recommends reinstall EQ APO if there is a issue.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Peace equalizer has a text prompt upon startup each time warning users about this and recommends reinstall EQ APO if there is a issue.
Thanks. I've never seen that prompt. I'll try that.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really dumb question-doesn't the import file have to be a .txt file to import into Peace? If so where do I find these files in the review threads?

lloyd84

Want to use another EQ Software?
1. Input the PEQ filters into your software, but keep in mind:
HP => High Pass
HS => High Shelf
LS => Low Shelf
PK => Peaking (or "Peak/Dip" or "Bell")
2. Input the preamp gain

I'm using Jriver media player which has a parametric EQ, but I can't see an option in there for PK. Are there any other terms it's known by?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Want to use another EQ Software?
1. Input the PEQ filters into your software, but keep in mind:
HP => High Pass
HS => High Shelf
LS => Low Shelf
PK => Peaking (or "Peak/Dip" or "Bell")
2. Input the preamp gain

I'm using Jriver media player which has a parametric EQ, but I can't see an option in there for PK. Are there any other terms it's known by?
I’ve never used Jriver, so I don’t know. Sorry.
Maybe someone else knows.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure if this is the proper thread to inquire this but I'll ask anyway because after a quick google search I didn't find a straight answer and I am counting on you guys to know these kinds of things.
Have I understood corrrectly that with Audirvana I could use equalization with Tidal even when Exclusive Mode is engaged?

EDIT guess I was a bit hasty because right after I posted this I came across with this https://community.audirvana.com/t/eq-and-tidal-mqa/15928
and then I googled the same thing for Roon and this came up https://community.roonlabs.com/t/mqa-decoder-not-working-in-combination-with-procedural-eq/92843

So Roon should be the way to go if I want to eq MQA tracks on Tidal?
Did you resolve this? I've been using the simple 15 band in musicbee for FLC files, but have no way of adding any DSP to Qobuz stream. Wondering if Roon or Audirvana is an easier way to get DSP with the added benefits of library management and all that, rather than install EqAPO or similar? Doesn't latter mean you have to use the Windows kernel mixer, so you can't use ASIO or Wasapi exclusive? Even if that's sonically OK, I really don't want system sounds ringing in my ears if it means losing the exclusive use of the output device. Maybe I have misunderstood how this works?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Really dumb question-doesn't the import file have to be a .txt file to import into Peace? If so where do I find these files in the review threads?
Must have missed your question.

Copy any of my PEQ profiles, create a new .TXT file on your computer, paste, save the file. Import into Peace. Simple.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
I really don't want system sounds ringing in my ears if it means losing the exclusive use of the output device.
One option is to set the default system sound to a dummy device (VB-Audio virtual cable for example), and explicitly change the device for your intended playback.

ZööZ

Did you resolve this? I've been using the simple 15 band in musicbee for FLC files, but have no way of adding any DSP to Qobuz stream. Wondering if Roon or Audirvana is an easier way to get DSP with the added benefits of library management and all that, rather than install EqAPO or similar? Doesn't latter mean you have to use the Windows kernel mixer, so you can't use ASIO or Wasapi exclusive? Even if that's sonically OK, I really don't want system sounds ringing in my ears if it means losing the exclusive use of the output device. Maybe I have misunderstood how this works?
Didn't do much of research after that, have been just using eapo for eq without exclusive mode in Tidal

Bernard23

One option is to set the default system sound to a dummy device (VB-Audio virtual cable for example), and explicitly change the device for your intended playback.
How do you effect that practically?

Atanasi

Forum Donor
How do you effect that practically?
Full-featured media players have the ability to choose the sound device, and Windows 10 provides an option to override the default sound device by application.

Tup3x

Would be just much more simpler to open Windows volume mixer and mute system sound.
Clipboard-1.png

Bernard23

Would be just much more simpler to open Windows volume mixer and mute system sound.
View attachment 169446
OK, I knew that, but it's not in exclusive mode. Even ignoring that, when I stop streaming music and use my PC for PC stuff, I want the notification sounds, and adjusting the settings each time is not the solution for me.

Bernard23

Full-featured media players have the ability to choose the sound device, and Windows 10 provides an option to override the default sound device by application.
OK, so for example, how would I integrate E-APO into the chain without involving the Win mixer? ie maintain ASIO / WASAPI Exclusive mode. Unless there's some quantifiable evidence that W10 architecture isn't altering the data stream into an external DAC.

Top Bottom