• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

List of Amir's Headphone PEQ filters

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Is there no PEQ profile for the HD600?

Amir wrote in his review:
Sennheiser HD600 Listening Tests
I only made a brief evaluation of the HD600 with and without equalization I made for HD650. I could not tell a difference between the two in the confines of slow switching time between the two headphones. As with HD650, I was yet again impressed by how good this headphone sounds. Equalization made an improvement but the headphone was very listenable without it.
I've added this note to my original post.

theMichael

Hi - I use the Parametric EQ in UAPP and it has three kinds of bell filters -> Analog, Digital and Digital 2. Does anyone know which one matches the Peaking ("Peak/Dip" or "Bell") in the OP?

Thanks!

threni

Major Contributor
Hi - I use the Parametric EQ in UAPP and it has three kinds of bell filters -> Analog, Digital and Digital 2. Does anyone know which one matches the Peaking ("Peak/Dip" or "Bell") in the OP?

Thanks!
I'm curious too. No docs for that EQ, and they've ignored my email. (Funny how you get more support for free software these days than stuff you pay for).

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm curious too. No docs for that EQ, and they've ignored my email. (Funny how you get more support for free software these days than stuff you pay for).
+1, I'm not clear what the difference is between the analogue or the digital bell. They look the same though hard to differentiate anything on a phone screen, and I can't detect any audible difference...

Quick search, this was first result, and no mention of different types of bell filter

theMichael

I received this from the UAPP creator:
Screenshot 2022-03-11 3.43.48 PM.png

Here is the link: https://www.toneboosters.com/manuals/TB_TrackEssentials_v3.pdf

Bernard23

This is the key spec:

• Digital bell: bell-type, peaking filter; digital style.
  • Analog bell: bell-type, peaking filter, analog filter type.
What is a "type" or "style" filter? I'm guessing 2nd and 3rd harmonics etc but that's pretty uneducated.

theMichael

This is the key spec:

• Digital bell: bell-type, peaking filter; digital style.
  • Analog bell: bell-type, peaking filter, analog filter type.
What is a "type" or "style" filter? I'm guessing 2nd and 3rd harmonics etc but that's pretty uneducated.
It could be that the digital style uses a linear filter and analog minimum phase.

theMichael

Does it help to upsample at all before PEQ? Trying to decide if I should:

Software Upsample -> PEQ -> DAC w/ NOS filter
or
Native Sample Rate -> PEQ -> DAC w/ Fast filter

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Up to date now!
- Reorganized sections into spoilers.
- Headphones have been re-organized from A-Z, and now grouped by manufacturer (which will combine items like Drop's Sehhneiser with Sennheiser).
- Added Amir's 4 panther ratings ("poor", "not terrible", "fine", "great"), plus "questionable" (panther with hands covering his mouth).
- Added legend about Amir's panther ratings in "Readme" spoiler
- Added 6 reviews (Mark Levinson No 5909, Nectar Hive, Sennheiser HD660S, Nan-6 Planar, Superlux HD387, JVC HA-SZ1000).
- Fixed incorrect code, from "LS" to "LSC" (for low shelf filter) and from "HS" to "HSC" (for high shelf filter). For the most part, pre-amp values remained unchanged after this.

I don't see huge value in maintaining the "GEQ filters" list for now, since it takes a while for me to generate and maintain. The instructions are there on how to use. Peace!

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Improvements:
- Added Dan Clark Stealth. Amir didn't include a PEQ profile, so I missed it originally.
- Showing Amir's Panther award first, then community-voted panther second. Example: (Fine, Great)
- Added Sensitivity and the end of each headphone. Example: [Sensitivity]
- Added prices in USD (Don't particularly care about keeping this up to date with every sale, so this is just MSRP)

Last edited:

stakatchh

Hi )
I would to know why after instal APO the volume from my Sabaj A20D far much lower than without APO

Eidolon

Hey guys,

So I ended up getting the 560s... and, well, they're exactly what I expected - fantastic mids but just a bit too hot in the upper registers and lacking some thumpy bass. Now, I tried installing EquilizerAPO and the preset here, but it.. well.. it just doesn't seem to do anything. I realize that running this through my DS DC100m Korg DAC is probably not doing it any favors, and this is especially noticeable in the relatively low max volume I can achieve, but honestly the headphones still sound pretty great - just.. that bass-lean topend-heavy sound. So the problem would hopefully be solved by EquilizerAPO except, like I said, I can't tell if it's doing anything. I've even tried messing around with the gain setting and it doesn't seem to do jack squat. This is how my EquilizerAPO looks on Korg running the headphones through its headphone jack... anyone have any idea why this isn't working and what I may be missing? I've tried both just selecting the .txt file (or rather, turning it on) and doing so for all the preamps and filters - no dice either way, but EquilizerAPO isn't showing any errors.

If this just won't work, does anyone have any other free alternatives I could try and settings for them?

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 85

ZööZ

Hey guys,

So I ended up getting the 560s... and, well, they're exactly what I expected - fantastic mids but just a bit too hot in the upper registers and lacking some thumpy bass. Now, I tried installing EquilizerAPO and the preset here, but it.. well.. it just doesn't seem to do anything. I realize that running this through my DS DC100m Korg DAC is probably not doing it any favors, and this is especially noticeable in the relatively low max volume I can achieve, but honestly the headphones still sound pretty great - just.. that bass-lean topend-heavy sound. So the problem would hopefully be solved by EquilizerAPO except, like I said, I can't tell if it's doing anything. I've even tried messing around with the gain setting and it doesn't seem to do jack squat. This is how my EquilizerAPO looks on Korg running the headphones through its headphone jack... anyone have any idea why this isn't working and what I may be missing? I've tried both just selecting the .txt file (or rather, turning it on) and doing so for all the preamps and filters - no dice either way, but EquilizerAPO isn't showing any errors.

If this just won't work, does anyone have any other free alternatives I could try and settings for them?

Thanks in advance :)
you should press the "power button" icons next to all those filter bands and don't forget the one where the text file is included (the file you're using should be located in the eapo config folder), your screenshots look like they are off, they should light up when activated.

EDIT should have read your post more thoroughly, missed the part where you said you had tried activating them also.
The installation process can be a bit finicky at times, you should try installing again but this time try using the trouble shooting options by highlighting the device you are installing to and checking the troubleshoot box in the lower left corner of the installation window and unchecking the use original apo boxes and selecting the experimental option from the drop down menu next to them. and don't forget to reboot.

Last edited:

Eidolon

Tried all of the experimental ones, tried the original, tried making firewall exceptions, running as administrator, NOT as administrator.. yeah, I think I'm exhausting my ideas here xD Anyone have an alternative suggestion for an EQ, maybe? :/

oleg87

Tried all of the experimental ones, tried the original, tried making firewall exceptions, running as administrator, NOT as administrator.. yeah, I think I'm exhausting my ideas here xD Anyone have an alternative suggestion for an EQ, maybe? :/
Did you restart your computer after installing it for the audio device in question?
Make sure whatever program you're using as the audio source is not using exclusive mode output as well.

Last edited:

Eidolon

Okay, so what finally got it working was, oddly enough, going back to the original after completely reinstalling the program. The alternative options definitely don't work but reinstalling the whole program but with the default settings did the trick.. beats me how or why. Thanks for the help, guys! :) Also sorry that I'm daft - this should have been in the HD 560s section, I only just now realized I posted in the wrong topic :D

_Piotr

Thank you so much for the guide. I've never tried EQing headphones before, but this was so easy to do, and it's such a game changer for me. I've kept like 4 headphones on my table including Fidelio x2 just to listen to the subbas that was completely missing from Sundaras. Just imported the profile from Amir's Sundaras review, and I can put the x2 into the closet now :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi! What’s that? Is there any way to use system-wide PEQ settings in iOS?
There is some software listed at this thread for iOS. If you find something better please let me know and I will add that to the list. Thankssss. :D

Top Bottom