• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Liquors and flavored spirits. What are some nice choices?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I enjoy a shot of Sambuca as a sipping juice that lasts me for a hour or two. Most others gulp it down in reckless abandon in seconds. :D

It makes for a nice combo if done by this recipe:
1 ounce Sambuca in a small wine glass with a neck and serve this neat.
Put 8 ounces of ginger ale in a wide mouth bar glass with ice and a fresh wedge of lime. The combination of the Sambuca, ginger ale and lime wedge in the second glass creates a aroma that is delicious and attention grabbing. Drink slow and enjoy. This is not a gulping drink. It is meant to create aroma, taste combinations and is for general consumption and not a shooter. The last time I ordered this in a restaurant-pub the bartender said he sold a half dozen within minutes because people wanted what I was having.

Gulping drink / Depth Charge:
1 - B52 in glass.
1 - 12 ounce glass with no ice, fill with rye and Coke to about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to the top. Mix rye and coke to personal tastes.
When fully prepared to shoot/gulp this. Have the rye and coke in one hand. Drop the shooter glass bottom down with the B52 inside into the coke and drink it all as fast as possible. It tastes pretty good so it only takes a few gulps on most days. It can get foamy/frothy sometimes as a added fun factor. Be sure to use heavy duty drinking glasses or if safety conscious pour the liquid B52 into the rye and coke and drink it that way after a little stirring.

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The last few years I've been on the Campari/Aperol bandwagon. Campari and soda. Aperol spritz. Negroni. Boulevardier. Sip or chug: that's up to you.
Very nice. I googled all that in order and it made perfect sense. I'm up for dirty martinis tomorrow.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
For just simple sipping, many Amaro are quite delicious. Every now and again I’m a fan of taking some Averna, neat.
The stronger flavored Amaro is more suited to mixing (think Campari, Aperol, Cynar…).
For tasty liqueurs, there are so many. A good Crème de Noyeaux, much like ameretto, can be nice. Some of the herbal liqueurs like Chartreuse can be quite pleasant.
Of course, if you are smart, find good ones that can also be used in cocktails you like!
Chartreuse, for example, goes in a Last Word or Ultimate Parabala. Averna in a Black Manhattan. I’m also a fan of Gran Classico which can make a good spritzer, but is even better in a Negroni or Boulevardier in place of the Campari.
One last one that I love to take straight on the rocks is Carpano Antica. This is my preferred Vermouth for most cocktails (Manhattan, Negroni, Boulevardier…) but is stunningly delicious on its own.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
If coffee is your thing, this is also delicious:

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
we have an assortment of amaros (amari?) and cellos for sipping and for use in cocktails. orange and melon cellos are a nice change from lemoncello; there are also variations mixed with cream.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Martini Vermouth Bianco and Gordons London Dry Gin. Martini. 2½ ounces London dry gin, ½ ounce dry Vermouth. No olives because I have none yet.
12417_product_front_196x700.png

1040.jpg

bkdc

Forum Donor
If you like it sweet, one of my favorites since college is a blowjob :). It goes down like a sweet creamy coffee. Hah.

Equal parts Frangelico, Bailey's, Kahlua. Shake in ice and serve in a shot glass. Top with whipped cream. College kids would down the shot using mouth only (no hands), but college was 3 decades ago for me. It goes down so smooth you can get tipsy fast after a few.

But at home, it's the classic Old Fashioned most of the time.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Try Becherovka, even more so if you like whisky.
This is nuts liquor in the making.
DSC_0531.JPG

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Very exotic and homebrew.
Well not so exotic for me, Becherovka is Czech which is in the neighborhood and the nuts liquor is pretty easy to make (young nuts and vine brandy).
I like single molt duble destilated fruit one's, apple being my favourite one all do I don't drink much anymore.
IMG-313008df785326b3609dee7e8356a5ee-V.jpg
That's me measuring some as this place is about measurements after all.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Can’t go wrong with an Old Fashioned.

IMO, bourbon and bitters can’t be beat!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It looks like you are measuring the specific gravity of your bong water. :D
It's graduating procentage of alcohol based on mesured one and temperature not Johney in the basement mixing up the medicine. The reason I prefer apple one other than rather good taste is because it doesn't fry your throat, it activates in your belly. ;)

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's graduating procentage of alcohol based on mesured one and temperature not Johney in the basement mixing up the medicine. The reason I prefer apple one other than rather good taste is because it doesn't fry your throat, it activates in your belly. ;)
Yes, throat burn is a pain in the butt. I put the stuff under my tongue to mellow it out before swallowing. :D

D!sco

Similar to the OP, but all together is the Dark and Stormy. Fruity sweetness and dark sugar with a quality ginger beer, like Reed's or something with some root in it is absolutely sublime as a shooter or tall cold beverage. My go-to.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Similar to the OP, but all together is the Dark and Stormy. Fruity sweetness and dark sugar with a quality ginger beer, like Reed's or something with some root in it is absolutely sublime as a shooter or tall cold beverage. My go-to.
I've been relieving the summer warmth with gin'n tonics and wine spritzers. Works wonders but I make sure to drink lotsa water in between them.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With temps routinely in the 90s (degF) lately we've been downing spritzers and sangria with dinner. Makes resuming work later in the evening go a little better :cool:

When I feel motivated -- and when we have large ice cubes in the freezer -- I mix a Manhattan, or just start combining partial shots of different Italian liquors with bourbon.

Top Bottom