• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Liquid metal speaker cable - technological breakthrough

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
What sort of current can we push through these before they vaporize and poison us all? I seem to remember mercury tilt switches exploded if you attempted to switch too much. Actually, I have one someplace, I've had since I was a kid. I should dig it out. :)
We have some scientific sources on this [;)] :

Summarized:
Thermal conductivity8.30 W/(m⋅K)
Electrical resistivity961 nΩ⋅m (at 25 °C)
Magnetic orderingdiamagnetic
Molar magnetic susceptibility−33.44×10−6 cm3/mol (293 K)

We just need a lot of Hg, to keep good conductivity. That's why the proposed cable is thick with many parallel current leading tubes.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Some of you may be too young to remember. But Tin cans and String seemed to work as kids. Maybe it was magic string but I swear it worked ;)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Liquid metal for cables? So soon we have the T-1000? :)

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
IIRC, it was Nitro-methane.

Somewhere, deep in my storeroom are a whole shoebox full of Cox Baby Bee 0.049 engines. My best OS/Max 7.5cc marine engine went to the bottom of the river in a mishap I don't want to talk about...
You guys are just way to much fun to listen to waxing poetic about Feynman like escapades as kids. The only common thread that I share with that... is the amazement of surviving the time to tell tales now. Seize the day... all you mini mad scientists wanna be... who grew up to be... actual Mad Scientists. Definitely worth the price of admission to this worm hole.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Liquid metal for cables? So soon we have the T-1000? :)
You guys are blowing my mind.

t-1000-may_600.jpg

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
I fixed it for you!
I'd contend that the actual logical results of growing up is a certain amount of anger... whether as an angry scientist, musician, or ...phool. Good thing that we have our hobby to both exercise and exorcise that anger... lol.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you heard it?
Have you read the reviews?
Too easy for you to just listen to test tones and not take the time to listen to music, with your ears.
I can see the originality of the design from my couch.. How can you not?:mad:

:cool:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Mercury is the best candidate, and mercury filled multi-piped foam cables are the solution. Please see the cross-section drawing below. Patent pending!

Is there a way to mix in some Arsenic and Lead, maybe Cadmium too? The more toxic, the better it must be...I see a full line. Nicely done.

dorakeg

I am not sure if grain boundaries has any effect on sound. However, afaik, they are a big issue in semiconductors.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
I am curious if anyone has considered this thread serious :D.

MAB

Major Contributor
I am curious if anyone has considered this thread serious :D.
Of course!!!
It's really simple. Carve 2 canals per channel your listening room floor and fill them with Mercury. Construct or modify speakers to float in the mercury canals and to dip a conductor from the + and - terminals into each canal, same on the amp side but maybe don't try to float them! I like the floating speaker idea since the Richard B. Dunn Solar Telescope floats an entire building in mercury, so science!!! If you plan the canals ahead of time (like Qin Shi Huang) you can float your speakers to new listening positions without having to redo the canals. If you cool the floor to below 4.2K like Onnes, the mercury will superconduct and you get that additional PRaT improvement.
Yeah baby!!!

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Back in the old days there was a tone arm that connected to cartridge wires thru small pools of Mercury. There were heavy duty Mercury relays. Then environmental rules outlawed that kind of stuff.

Philbo King

As We audiophiles know, the most important component of the audio chain that affect the resulting sound are CABLES. Take or leave, this is a naked truth. And, any good audiophile knows that the biggest enemy of the clear, fluent sound are crystal boundaries that create microdiodes in the cable structure.

Let's remind some great articles on this topic:

I have invented a cure for this audiophile pain - let's make a speaker wire from the liquid metal!! Mercury is the best candidate, and mercury filled multi-piped foam cables are the solution. Please see the cross-section drawing below. Patent pending!

View attachment 248335
I think if you aren't using silver plated copper pipe with liquid helium pumped through them to create superconductors, all sonic detail will be hopelessly lost. (joke)

Top Bottom