• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linux Kernel Patch for Topping DAC users

yue

Linux kernel does not recognize Topping DACs' ability to play native DSD, as Thesycon's vendor id is not listed in the kernel.

I submitted a patch to solve that issue

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu.../?id=1ea0358ecb848058b35b6da13d7f4c08610a73a8

The code will probably ship with the next stable version kernel. But in the meantime, if you need to use Topping's DAC to play native DSD under Linux using MPD, you need to patch in this line and recompile your kernel.

HifiGuy

Just one question, why the patch is needed?

What i read is that just the Support of DSD512 is added to the Kernel because the Topping uses the Big Endian coding.

You can configure the dsd support over alsa and the mpd.conf.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Linux kernel does not recognize Topping DACs' ability to play native DSD, as Thesycon's vendor id is not listed in the kernel.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu.../?id=1ea0358ecb848058b35b6da13d7f4c08610a73a8

The code will probably ship with the next stable version kernel. But in the meantime, if you need to use Topping's DAC to play native DSD under Linux using MPD, you need to patch in this line and recompile your kernel.
Thanks so much. This is what makes Linux open source so awesome, the constant attention to issues by the community and patches going out to address bugs.

OP
Y

yue

TiborG

I think a more detailed view says there is no need to practice in such a difficult mission as compiling the kernel. To PCM 192 kHz it goes via Toslink, which does not go according to the Topping manual at all. It's native to USB. The former version of the kernel and mpd.conf do without any changes to the system.

mpd.conf has a remnant .txt attachment, just to put it in the attachmentDSD over Toslink.jpgDSD over USB.jpg

Attachments

• mpd.conf.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 606
Top Bottom