• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linus tech tips testing HDMI cables… for Science

spacebar

Forum Donor

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Haha, yes. Many of the cables actually dont meet the specs. Its not just hdmi, even usb cables as well.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The HDMI 2.1 spec is honestly bordering the insanity in terms of durability of commercial cables. I really wish TVs would assume the position of A/V Processors in the future and we're done with long runs of anything digital. Or optic cables would become the norm at least.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I really wish TVs would assume the position of A/V Processors in the future and we're done with long runs of anything digital.

Put the A/V processors in the LCD panels, a gaggle of (say 15/16 Class D power amplifiers (all assignable), full DSP room correction and complete control via your phone/ipad.

One killer device. Sure it'd be expensive, but it's got to be time to kill the AVR.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Put the A/V processors in the LCD panels, a gaggle of (say 15/16 Class D power amplifiers (all assignable), full DSP room correction and complete control via your phone/ipad.

One killer device. Sure it'd be expensive, but it's got to be time to kill the AVR.
it might be even right out impossible since people are obsessed with how thin their TV must be (I mean who isn't? it's not the prettiest thing in the world) and whatever heat-sinking left it is there to cool the panel itself. This is specially the case for the less power efficient OLED panels.

As for audio processing alone, barely any heat-sinking or significant extra power is needed and most modern TVs can decode proprietary formats anyway so half the work is done too.

It really feels like the natural next step.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
I tried to understand how the optical hdmi cables is build. But I don’t see any optical fiber in the pictures from the brands. I’m just browsing Amazon and I can’t see any “real” optical hdmi cables. What am I missing?
I believe some wires are for handshake and general communication.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
I think the issue is that there are no optical cables to be seen ;) This is correct since they are hidden within the cable and terminated in the connectors. Usually, they are hybrid cables. There are still some low bandwidth copper cables in there as well.
Ah, thanks for the information.

sgent

I tried to understand how the optical hdmi cables is build. But I don’t see any optical fiber in the pictures from the brands. I’m just browsing Amazon and I can’t see any “real” optical hdmi cables. What am I missing?
I believe some wires are for handshake and general communication.

There are also a lot of 4k over MM/SM fiber extenders that can use pure fiber with SFP like connectors. I assume there will be an 8K extender at some point but I haven't seen one yet. (see Vanco, AVProEdge, TrippLite).

Top Bottom