• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linus from LTT did an video on snake oil pcie power conditioner.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing I love about non audiophiles is how brutally honest they are when it comes to exposing audio snake oil. Unlike most audiophiles, they have no emotional connection to the gear, and therefore tend to be much better judges(ime). Kinda funny that I trust non audiophiles far more than I do golden eared audiophiles when it comes to describing sound differences between electronics.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Linus is DA MAN. I watch his videos pretty regularly, and he has even name dropped @amirm in his videos before. This is also not the first time he has exposed snake-oil tech products

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Maybe people didn't get it. How was Linus able to use many erroneous explanations to do the seemingly right thing?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He's considered a complete joke and/or shill on knowledgeable computer forums, though.

Read stuff by actual devs if you want Truth^tm that hurts. mpv's main dev commit messages or Linus before the takeover are good fun. Today's batch got https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commit/1643cb865f4005949aa8a10b5eee7e0320f5ff4a that is quite relevant to this place.
His target audience are not devs. And I doubt the community at large considers him a joke or shill. If he says something inaccurate he always corrects himself and admits the mistake, and he always discloses sponsors and affiliations.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
His target audience are not devs. And I doubt the community at large considers him a joke or shill. If he says something inaccurate he always corrects himself and admits the mistake, and he always discloses sponsors and affiliations.
From my remembrance, the only one on that show who knew what he talked about was Wendell, Linus himself is the Steve Guttenberg of technology (hope it's accurate, the only way I know this guy is via the seemingly legitimate vitriol he gets here).
Who cares about the community at large? I said "knowledgeable" for a reason. All communities taken "at large" will always be the same: people who imagine they know something when they don't.

Anyway, Youtube isn't an appropriate platform for doing something else than clickbait and any content made by someone winning his daily bread on it will necessarily be lowbrow.
I recommend Guru3d and Phoronix for general desktop computer news, SemiAccurate for shitting in Intel's soup and reading RealWorldTech's treasure trove if you want to feel smart; you may even learn some stuff in the process. Blocks and Files is quite nice too, was one of the first websites to shame WD and Seagate for their submarined DM-SMR drives.

ta240

Major Contributor
Maybe people didn't get it. How was Linus able to use many erroneous explanations to do the seemingly right thing?

You mean using all the methods that we don't accept for proof when it isn't the outcome we want?

If the video had someone putting the card in a computer, listening to music on it and declaring they hear a difference we would demand tests to back that statement up.

If the results are what we want then the methods are acceptable; if the results are not, then the same methods are not acceptable.

Otherwise we have to accept that a doorstop on a DAC can improve the sound... right?

I was expecting the video to include at least some basic measurements rather than a one man listening test using the built-in sound.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From my remembrance, the only one on that show who knew what he talked about was Wendell, Linus himself is the Steve Guttenberg of technology (hope it's accurate, the only way I know this guy is via the seemingly legitimate vitriol he gets here).
Who cares about the community at large? I said "knowledgeable" for a reason. All communities taken "at large" will always be the same: people who imagine they know something when they don't.

Anyway, Youtube isn't an appropriate platform for doing something else than clickbait and any content made by someone winning his daily bread on it will necessarily be lowbrow.
I recommend Guru3d and Phoronix for general desktop computer news, SemiAccurate for shitting in Intel's soup and reading RealWorldTech's treasure trove if you want to feel smart; you may even learn some stuff in the process. Blocks and Files is quite nice too, was one of the first websites to shame WD and Seagate for their submarined DM-SMR drives.
You obviously don't watch LTT and don't understand his audience. I'll leave it at that.

raif71

Major Contributor
5c7793f65211972dd2c3514e1d474cb5.jpg

dfuller

Major Contributor
Man despite doing the worst possible test he came to the right conclusion... admittedly, because he's got some level of informed-ness about how power subsystems work.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You obviously don't watch LTT and don't understand his audience. I'll leave it at that.

That's an extreme understatement!

As a developer, I find the almost blind faith in developers comical. I've been doing this for a long time, and in my opinion you will be lucky to find 1 developer in 50 who really knows what they are talking about. It's a job title nothing more!

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
That's an extreme understatement!

As a developer, I find the almost blind faith in developers comical. I've been doing this for a long time, and in my opinion you will be lucky to find 1 developer in 50 who really knows what they are talking about. It's a job title nothing more!
As a developer I was ignorant until now about my super power.

mansr

Major Contributor
I recommend Guru3d and Phoronix for general desktop computer news,
Uh, we call it Moronix in my parts. The guy has at best half a clue. Reading the site is a complete waste of time. No idea about Guru3d, but the name isn't promising.

SemiAccurate for shitting in Intel's soup
The name seems accurate. Half the time it's nothing but wild speculation based on unverifiable rumours.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
One thing I love about non audiophiles is how brutally honest they are when it comes to exposing audio snake oil. Unlike most audiophiles, they have no emotional connection to the gear, and therefore tend to be much better judges(ime). Kinda funny that I trust non audiophiles far more than I do golden eared audiophiles when it comes to describing sound differences between electronics.
Just to be clear LTT uncritically praised some audio gear in the past. Nothing super out there. Overdelivered reviewer hype. It's been discussed before: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-linustechtips-headphones-and-snakeoil.10229/

Many a non-audiophile has decided to finally take the plunge into better gear only to be taken in by the same crap as everyone else (i.e., as obsessives). Marketing is nothing if not effective when all you're going on for the purchase is junk specs and ad lingo repeated ad nauseam by reviewers and buyers alike, and the general level of understanding is patchy.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Uh, we call it Moronix in my parts. The guy has at best half a clue. Reading the site is a complete waste of time. No idea about Guru3d, but the name isn't promising.

The name seems accurate. Half the time it's nothing but wild speculation based on unverifiable rumours.
We must be from the same parts, as it's Moronix here too. The guy clearly has no real clue, but he does unbiaised (using open source software and mentioning the used compiler and libc) benchmarks; just don't expect him to explain the differences or even group them by threading model. Does some useful kernel regression testing, sometimes.

Guru3d is mostly for the Windows gamer crowd, so not very in-depth. I mostly use it for the sound level/temperature part of the reviews.

As for SemiAccurate, it's not Wccftech tier, most "rumors" are verified and apparently sourced from industry insider buddies. But I mostly like it for shitting on the ridiculous blurb which borders on lie which is Intel's specialty.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Linus himself is the Steve Guttenberg of technology
I don't think this comparison is appropriate at all. Linus does lots of objective, data-driven testing whereas Steve never met a speaker or amp he didn't like.

That's not to say Linus is like an Amir or hardcore testing site. Clearly the style is different.

Top Bottom