• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary - Tweeter problem ?

PappyBlue

Forum Donor
I just received a pair of Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary that I ordered a while ago. When I first started listening to them, something sounded very wrong on some tracks, particularly electric guitars.

I took some measurements in REW. Nothing seemed wrong, but then I checked the "distorsion" tab. Blue line is left speaker, green line is right speaker. Measurements taken 1 foot from speaker at tweeter height. I have no clue what I am doing in REW, I am a beginner, but clearly this seems to indicate something is wrong with the right sepaker. Any ideas ?

distorsion.jpg

OP
PappyBlue

PappyBlue

Forum Donor
I just received a pair of Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary that I ordered a while ago. When I first started listening to them, something sounded very wrong on some tracks, particularly electric guitars.

I took some measurements in REW. Nothing seemed wrong, but then I checked the "distorsion" tab. Blue line is left speaker, green line is right speaker. Measurements taken 1 foot from speaker at tweeter height. I have no clue what I am doing in REW, I am a beginner, but clearly this seems to indicate something is wrong with the right sepaker. Any ideas ?

View attachment 57037
Crossover frequency are 630hz and 2400hz, so it's not the tweeter!?!

sfdoddsy

You'll still get some output from the tweeter even with a 2.4K crossover.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not necessarily. Could you switch the channels/cables from your amp to make sure its a loudspeaker issue?
Otherwise you could PM me also the REW files if you want, just need to rename their extension to .txt as .mdat is not accepted by the forum software.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

View attachment 57037
I know less about REW than do you* but... does it measure -- umm -- whatever it measures in situ? I assume so(?!). :)
If so, how do you know the result isn't an artifact of placement? Easy to test -- swap the two loudspeakers & measure again.

If not (i.e., if it measure stuff nearfield and tries to ignore its environment), then as Rosanne Roseannadanna Emily Litella (rest her soul) used to say:

1585957418937.png

OP
PappyBlue

PappyBlue

Forum Donor
I know less about REW than do you* but... does it measure -- umm -- whatever it measures in situ? I assume so(?!). :)
If so, how do you know the result isn't an artifact of placement? Easy to test -- swap the two loudspeakers & measure again.

If not (i.e., if it measure stuff nearfield and tries to ignore its environment), then as Rosanne Roseannadanna Emily Litella (rest her soul) used to say:

View attachment 57087

audioman

Hello @PappyBlue,

1. what exactly happens with treble ? what You mean "wrong" ?
2. what amplifier are you using with them ?
3. the exact setting is very important with Linton's. Please see "stereophile" measurments. If You set them wrong You will hear bass only.
4. note that the speakers are directional and the tweeters must point inwards,

BTW this speaker's are not treble "hard". Sound from them will not be bright or analytical . I think Linton's are quite smooth - there are many more detailed speakers on the market but... i know less detailes speakers too.
They have full bodied midrange - electric guitars should sounds "meaty".

ericbaur

I have two pair of the Wharfedale Linton 85th. Left tweeter on one pair died within ~9 months of purchase. Got a replacement tweeter under warranty (had to remove broken tweeter and install replacement myself, but it was pretty easy).

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My friend had the same problem as you, it seems this is not an isolated case.

D

Deleted member 48726

Clearly somethings wrong with it and not placement of the speaker!

Op may not be an expert i REW but surely have measured the two speakers at the same position and distance from each.

It's even audible.

That's a warranty issue.

Top Bottom