• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

linkwitz lxmini

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
hi all. i sent amir an lxmini and minidsp crossover for it. if he can figure out how to hoist the thing, hopefully he’ll measure for everyone. shipping was $100, and he may have to pay to ship it back to me, though only three hours north of him since i am moving to bellingham. contribute to amir if this matters to you. of course, he won’t get to experience the incredible phantom stereo image, but at least we might get a clue why they sound so incredible.

bloomdido

Well, Linkwitz himself has written quite a bit on the theory behind LXMini and I'm not sure Amir's testing technique can reveal much in this case and it's very likely the measurements will describe it as just one more high quality speaker.

mcdn

Forum Donor
Excellent news!

Pablo27

Great news, good work Sutton!

Careful how you move the speaker around Amir they are extremely fragile in my experience!!!!

OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Great news, good work Sutton!

Careful how you move the speaker around Amir they are extremely fragile in my experience!!!!
oh, not so much. i mean, it’s easy to put it back together if something comes loose. i actually removed the “head” for shipping and laid it in blankets immediately next to the big pipe.

Pablo27

oh, not so much. i mean, it’s easy to put it back together if something comes loose. i actually removed the “head” for shipping and laid it in blankets immediately next to the big pipe.
Yes that should do it. The head on mine has been broken 4 times now!! 1x by the delivery man, 1x by my long suffering wife and 2x by the cat.

Thanks again for sending these in can't wait to see the results.

Shazb0t

Well, Linkwitz himself has written quite a bit on the theory behind LXMini and I'm not sure Amir's testing technique can reveal much in this case and it's very likely the measurements will describe it as just one more high quality speaker.
I don't see any reason why sound field measurements on a Klippel NFS should be questioned for this speaker.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
It's about time to get (published) good measurements of LX! I've followed Linkwitzlab and OPLUG and other multiway dipole threads fo more than a decade, but never seen other than room response. I diy'd a dsp-active 4-way dipole system in 2013 and have measured it intensively, but indoor measurements are problematic, and setting the speaker outdoors and back indoors takes a whole day... My avatar shows normalized horizontal dispersion of my AINOgradient.

LXmini and LX521 are very different in construction and directivity pattern. Many people have them both and like one or another better, depends... obviously on how dispersion matches with room acoustics.

Setting up the LXmini should be easy, but I think that Amir would need some counselling setting up LX521.4 after shipping... or at least psychological support. All those wires and optional configs in minidsp... ASP is easier of course.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
well, i am a professional design/builder and lawyer, and i built it!
That’s great!

I guess the question behind the (eventually not so meaningful) question was how does one make sure that the review and measurements will be about the LXmini as opposed to one’s ability to implement a pair?

Absolutely no offense or assumptions about your speaker building skills. Just wondering if this is something you guys have thought about addressing as well.

Zvu

Given that LXmini is a DIY project, it is perfectly valid to assess how an average person can/will make it.

People are raving of how good their DIY LXmini sounds, not how good LXmini in Siegfrieds home sounded like since very few would know that.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Actually quite many people have heard both mini and 521 at Siggi's home and country villa! They were still open for guests in 2021 https://www.linkwitzlab.com/
IMG_2195-4c.jpg

LX speakers are fragile and problematic to transport and set up, nothing like typical commercial speakers. Construction plans are said to be very good, but one must follow them carefully.

I met SL in August 2013 in Helsinki, Finland at AES conference, but I have never seen or heard any of his speakers.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Given that LXmini is a DIY project, it is perfectly valid to assess how an average person can/will make it.
Sure. As long as it is clear how representative the reviewed item is for how an average person can/will make it.

People are raving of how good their DIY LXmini sounds, not how LXmini in Siegfrieds home sounded like.
My point was about SL’s product, not his home. Besides, Amir’s subjective evaluations are in his room and in mono. So not sure what you expect to be going to conclude from that anyway.

Whatever will come out of the Klippel measurements, I predict that sooner or later people are gonna 1) compare it to everything SL published about it, and 2) wonder how close this implementation is to the one these publications are about i.e. the LXminis that SL built himself.

But again, no offense. Looking very much forward to the review, and only thinking out loud about what we will and maybe won’t be able to draw from it.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hi all. i sent amir an lxmini and minidsp crossover for it. if he can figure out how to hoist the thing, hopefully he’ll measure for everyone. shipping was $100, and he may have to pay to ship it back to me, though only three hours north of him since i am moving to bellingham. contribute to amir if this matters to you. of course, he won’t get to experience the incredible phantom stereo image, but at least we might get a clue why they sound so incredible.
Excellent, and thank you, I'd been hoping that someone would be able to send this one in. Mind you, critical evaluation of the design may present @amirm with a few beartraps, both technical and social!

Zvu

My point was about SL’s product, not his home...
That's the problem. There is no SL's product, just SL's design.

You should look at this as a cake recipe. If the recipe is followed, the result will be there. The best thing is that it can all be verified - every point about LXmini design, since it is simple and SL's website has all the data needed to check the implementation.

Top Bottom