• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linear power supply for a dual chip tpa3116 amp

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I want to improve sound quality by uing a 24v min 5 a linear power supply

Just the simple one with 2 cable one to the wall socket and in the back of the power supply and one to the amplifier, keep it simple stupid

Is there anything you can recommend ?

Max price is under 100 euros form europe, not uk,aliexpress,china since it adds 25% taxes and handling fee

Last edited:

PETERPAN

Sadly I have a similar problem. Need a power supply for a new pre amp I bought. Heed pre works well with their PX power supply but it is too expensive. Is there an alternative anyone know about? I hope the two of us will have a brilliant solution from here.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

I just bought the smsl 24 volt 6.75 volt smps from audiophonics(bought early today they will ship it today and i will get it early next week), it gives me a little more power, for some an advantage, but might not give me a better sound quality as linear power adapter can.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...c-to-24v-675a-dc-ad18-compatible-p-12130.html

Using google i do hear some say i can get better sound from a linear power supply than a smps, it's just hard to spend money on something like a 15 volt 3 amp linear power supply when you have a 24 volt 4.5 a power adapter,supply that can give as much power for normal use that anybody would need.

All i want is a linear power supply 24 volt 5 a or higher for under 100 euros all included (a keep it simple stupid plug and play unit)

PETERPAN

I just bought the smsl 24 volt 6.75 volt smps from audiophonics(bought early today they will ship it today and i will get it early next week), it gives me a little more power, for some an advantage, but might not give me a better sound quality as linear power adapter can.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...c-to-24v-675a-dc-ad18-compatible-p-12130.html

Using google i do hear some say i can get better sound from a linear power supply than a smps, it's just hard to spend money on something like a 15 volt 3 amp linear power supply when you have a 24 volt 4.5 a power adapter,supply that can give as much power for normal use that anybody would need.

All i want is a linear power supply 24 volt 5 a or higher for under 100 euros all included (a keep it simple stupid plug and play unit)
Am just disappointed that manufacturers of very expensive hifi equipment turn round to talk and sell very expensive PSU. What makes their products expensive in the first place. Why buy an expensive preamplifier only to need a power supply unit to get the best out of it?

jasonhanjk

Go ahead. It should reduce your noise by another 0.1dB for a well design tpa3116 pcb with balance input.

At the mean time, I'll just use a cheap 24v smps with diy LC and ferrite filter with big cap.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

My topping e30 comes with no power supply other than a usb cable for power, they saying in reviews that a linear power supply (clean power) will make a difference, it's also a littel expensive to buy, it cuts down on the price only having a usb cable for power but would have been nice to have an option for less than 50 euros, for a ifi Audio iPOWER AC-DC Adaptator / Low noise Power supply or a 92 euro for AUDIOPHONICS LPSU25 Linear Regulated Low Noise Power Supply.

All those linear power supplys can in the end be a littel expensive to buy after shipping,taxes and handling fee buying from aliexpress or just china

Buying a topping P50 Regulated Linear power supply for 134 euros is not a problem if you have a Topping D50, for an E30 is way to expensive it's more (P50+ E30) than a Topping D50S

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Go ahead. It should reduce your noise by another 0.1dB for a well design tpa3116 pcb.

At the mean time, I'll just use a cheap 24v smps with diy LC and ferrite filter with big cap.

It's not about noise, it's about sound quality

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

The main cause for degrading sound quality is the inductor of its 300kHz pwm filter.

Don't know enough to know if 300kHz pwm filter makes a difference and how linear power supply can improve the sound quality, just know it can make a diffrence if you use a smps or linear power supply

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
My topping e30 comes with no power supply other than a usb cable for power, they saying in reviews that a linear power supply (clean power) will make a difference
Who is 'they' and where have they said that? The designer said "Doesn't matter for well designed devices" - a well designed device has the necessary filtering and regulation inside. RME have said the same when asked about PSUs for their devices.

If your tpa3116 based amp has inadequate filtering then changing the PSU might make a difference, but it's probably more cost effective to improve the filtering than to replace the PSU. Allo's capacitance multiplier would be an off the shelf example designed for use with their tpa311x based amps.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
They say clean power https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/topping-e30-dac-review-entry-level-overachiever/

What i might wanted to say is clean power and i think a linear power supply is better than a smps, even when my experince only is using the old and small ifi power adapter for a different dac and using a power bank for my E30 (20.000 Mah doesn't last 2 day's)
The reviewer doesn't present any measurements, so it's hard to be sure. I suspect the reviewer is hearing differences in ground-related noise rather than power supply quality. This is the modern presentation of the 'ground loop' that has been covered in many threads where people have noise issues involving USB and single ended interconnects. Changing the power supply changes the grounding conditions so may solve the problem, but it's more by luck than judgement. A systematic approach to solving ground issues would be more reliable and probably more cost effective. You can find one such approach in the application notes from Jensen Transformers - AN006 for the short version, and AN007 for a more detailed one with a wealth of background information if you want a more thorough understanding of what's going on.

People often forget that power banks have SMPS between the battery and the USB power output, and that many DACs have internal switching regulators, often for the supply rails of the output opamps.

Reactions: eas
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Update

Got the smsl 24 volt 6.75 a power adapter, it have my coilwhine thru my speakers :(

Dac Visitor

Mijn topping e30 wordt geleverd met geen andere voeding dan een USB-kabel voor stroomvoorziening, ze zeggen in beoordelingen dat een lineaire voeding (schone stroom) een verschil zal maken, het is ook een beetje duur om te kopen, het verlaagt de prijs alleen met een usb-kabel voor stroom, maar zou leuk geweest zijn om een optie te hebben voor minder dan 50 euro, voor een ifi Audio iPOWER AC-DC Adapter / Low noise Power supply of een 92 euro voor AUDIOPHONICS LPSU25 Linear Regulated Low Noise Power Supply.

Al die lineaire voedingen kunnen uiteindelijk een beetje duur zijn om te kopen na verzending, belastingen en administratiekosten bij aankoop van AliExpress of gewoon China

Een topping P50 Regulated Linear voeding kopen voor 134 euro is geen probleem als je een Topping D50 hebt, voor een E30 is het veel te duur is het meer (P50+ E30) dan een Topping D50S
Toen ik mijn E30 (2020) nog gebruikte, had ik een Sonos 5 V voeding serienr. C08-0102499 . Werkte perfect.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom