• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Line level for amplifier?

WoollyGeezer

Hey ASR,

I am currently running a topping d70s and Burson soloist 3X.

The Burson supposedly has a preamp builtin but I am not sure if it runs through the preamplifier while on headphone mode.

Burson stated to send the signal from the dac at line level.

I have been using the setup with the topping d70s in DAC mode into the Burson Soloist but the volume does seem a bit quiet on medium gain.
This is with the Arya on SE which is a bit power hungry.

Do I need to put the topping into dac/preamp mode to achieve line level?(assuming that’s 4v XLR standard)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't know about this equipment...

Although 0dBm and 0dBV are defined, line Level is rather loosely defined. But almost every line-output is hot enough and most line inputs have enough sensitivity that everything works together.

If you have line level, you don't normally need a preamp (other than as a control center) and in most situations the preamp is attenuating rather than amplifying.

Top Bottom