• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lindemann Limetree Review (streamer)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 141 77.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Lambda

Major Contributor
Considering price it is this is a headless panther but without looking at price maybe postman panther.
Don’t think this will sound obviously bad/broken.

Last edited:

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Lindemann is one strange kind of company, IIRC, where some engineers order hardware to be assembled by part time techs in the cellar and perhaps tested by AudioPrecision gear.
The company seems to live from their brand name & their history at times of CD player inventions. Their engineering know-how. Plus their well endowed relations to the audiophile press.
When I spoke with them in Munich 2019, they confirmed that every component is sourced inside the EU based on their specifications and that the Limetree series has a much better performance than RPi based audio solutions.
My personal impression - back then - had been that of a rather cynical marketing operation.
Thank you for the review!!
View attachment 166355

Looks a lot like some off the shelf SBC mounted on a custom board. I'm doing similar with a RPi CM4, but it's not costing $1000

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Raspberry Pi Display + Raspberry Pi 4 + RoPieeeXL + Topping E50 = $463.

You get top class DAC performance, Roon Ready, Touchscreen Display, clock, Airplay 2, Bluetooth, Spotify, DLNA, and many other things for half the price of this thing.

DanielT

Major Contributor
As several have already mentioned, fix a computer then for example:

Streamer fixed. Fixed and done. Flexible, very affordable.:)

I wonder how manufacturers reason?Do not they think that potential buyers examines the market before decision on purchase is made? If I do not have any special emotional connection to brand X, I will look around what is on the market. Check prices, performance, features. This does not only apply to Hifi. So basically everyone does?

Speaking of service. My exhaust pipe was coming loose on my old Volvo a while ago. To the car mechanic. Took only one mechanic at random. In Sweden, of course, all car mechanics know Volvo. In any case, to make a long story short: build quality, technical support, service and warranties are not so stupid to research before buying. Car like Hifi.:)

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The more products like this that @amirm tests, the happier I am with my Bluesound NODE.

I'm feeding a Topping E50 with my Bluesound NODE coax out and I'm very happy with the sound ;)

IMG_8904.jpeg

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm feeding a Topping E50 with my Bluesound NODE coax out and I'm very happy with the sound ;)

View attachment 166417
I have run digital out from the NODE into the excellent Schiit Modi, but couldn't discern improvement over analog out from the NODE's mediocre DAC. So no more external DAC for me; if I can't hear it, it's effectively not there.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I have run digital out from the NODE into the excellent Schiit Modi, but couldn't discern improvement over analog out from the NODE's mediocre DAC. So no more external DAC for me; if I can't hear it, it's effectively not there.
Yep, agree. I put the Topping E50 there just because I have no other use for it but to my ears, I wasn't able to tell the difference between the NODE internal DAC and when feeding a Topping D90SE via COAX so I returned the D90SE.

SKBubba

Looks like you have to use their UPNP app for streaming, and it appears to be sorta limited. They do advertise Roon Ready, Tidal Connect, and Spotify Connect, though.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Looks like you have to use their UPNP app for streaming, and it appears to be sorta limited. They do advertise Roon Ready, Tidal Connect, and Spotify Connect, though.
Yes, it's Roon Ready.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And this is why most consumers just connect their iPhone to anything with Airplay and you're done. What's the point of dedicated expensive streamers?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
And this is why most consumers just connect their iPhone to anything with Airplay and you're done. What's the point of dedicated expensive streamers?
Far more with Android phones than iOS phones out there. Millions of Sonos, Amazon, etc. speakers, too. Sincerely doubt “most consumers” use AirPlay.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Far more with Android phones than iOS phones out there. Millions of Sonos, Amazon, etc. speakers, too. Sincerely doubt “most consumers” use AirPlay.
Agreed, I was just throwing out the convenience of smartphone streaming over a "dedicated" streamer that apparently offers nothing more for the money.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Agreed, I was just throwing out the convenience of smartphone streaming over a "dedicated" streamer that apparently offers nothing more for the money.
Spotify is flexible. Mobile or tablet as a player. Change song / disc with another mobile or tablet. Nothing you need to install yourself, that functionality, it comes as a feature with Spotify Premium. That's probably the best thing about Spotify, I think.:)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I’m using a Belkin Soundform which for 99€ has immensely expanded the usefulness of my RME ADI2 DAC. No idea about how much distorts, but my untrained ears are happier than ever :)
Which model Soundform?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I spoke with them in Munich 2019, they confirmed that every component is sourced inside the EU based on their specifications…
Can you imagine a DAC chip manufacturing company (assuming it exists in EU) accepting customisation request from a such a small company?

Top Bottom