• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linda Ronstadt Speaks

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Haven't seen this interview before today. It made me cry a number of times and also made me laugh hard when she said she threw Obama's award under the bed. LOL

Sadly while researching this I read that she had canceled all booked speaking engagements for 2019. Father time can be merciless. :(

"The notice on the Mayo site says, “Due to an ongoing health issue, Linda Ronstadt regretfully has to cancel all upcoming appearances, including her scheduled event at MPAC on May 2, 2019. Ms. Ronstadt thanks her many fans who were looking forward to her May 2 appearance, and hopes that she can return at a future date.” Refund details are then given."

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Time has not been kind to her.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I love Linda but now I'm disappointed of her throwing the prize away. Obama's speech was heartul of soul!

WLVCA

I live in Tucson now, her home town. Her family first arrived in Tucson from Mexico in 1882 and were considered important pioneers and became business owners here. The main public transit center in downtown Tucson is named after her family and it was built on the site of the family hardware store. Her family was active in the music community in Tucson going back many years, even before Linda became famous.

D700

Thanks for Posting, that was moving. What a voice.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Man, I remember seeing her live with this band way back when. What a powerful voice! Waddy Waddel and band were so tight and the energy from her voice coupled with the band just blew my mind. When concerts were real concerts :)

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I first time saw her live was at the Hawthorn or Sportsmans horse racing track in Chicago about 1972-3. She had this unknown band first open with about a half hour show that blew us away. Then she came out and they continued to play as her band that day. That band later had some minor success in rock, their name was The Eagles. :D

Last edited:
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oh that brings back memories and thoughts.
She said that every song she sings is about or for somebody, it has a face. That's the way I feel about music and my love for it in general. Music I really care for has a time or place or person attached to it, even when it is a new song it has to speak to me about my life. Guess that's why I've never been able to get into classical, it just never related to my life in any way.

Man just look at her, so beautiful, shes the woman I've been in love with almost my whole life and I never met her. LOL

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Linda Ronstadt RRHOF Induction 2014

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I have difficulties to decide, which Linda I prefer - the Hummin' or Latin, but in this US political situation I choose the latter.
Incredible - she can't speak Spanish, but her singing is perfect!

bigx5murf

What is your problem? Why do you keep trying to bring up politics when it has nothing to do with anything in this thread? You're not even American, just stop.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
No problems. I don't want to start political debate, but you(?) US citizens must understand that we foreigners all over the world are following you every day by watching and reading news. USA is still dominating popular entertainment business and is a major player in culture, science, economics and international politics, even conflicts. Here in Scandinavia English is our obligatory second language at school, since 1960's. Almost every family tree has emigrants in USA, like me and my wife do. I have watched live TV broadcasts since Neil Armstrong set his foot on the Moon, up to Trump signing declarations with Kim Jong-un etc.

I first heard Ronstadt singing in radio around 1974. We had American country music boom then, and West Coast music boom with Eagles, Browne etc. was flourishing. Then we had only two national radio channels and pop music editors had a very important role in presenting interesting artists and genres. I remember how enchanted I was with Linda's voice compared to eg. Parton, Harris or Gayle - clean articulation, perfect pitch, warmth and sexiness of voice and heartful and musical interpretation of different styles.

Ronstadt's 1980's records with Nelson Riddle, Canciones and opera performances I was not even aware of until a year ago. Youtube and Spotify/Tidal are wonderful recources and I have bought many of her CDs from Amazon too. Videos of her concerts and TV appearances are the best!

Last edited:

bigx5murf

Pretty sure political debates are banned here. You're the one who got upset assuming Linda Rondstadt threw away an award as a political statement. I pointed out to you that wasn't the case. Then you thought you were clever for making a jab at our immigration policy. Just stop playing dumb.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Excuse me, but what is political here? Listen to the speech, very personal. Politics is just your own imagination!
"I love Linda but now I'm disappointed of her throwing the prize away. Obama's speech was heartul of soul! "

It was a National award for artistic career, making millions of people happy and moved by her singing, and I am disappointed that she doesn't value that. Obviously parkinson is making her crappy and frustrated, no wonder.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am disappointed a thread about a much loved artist in which some have offered moving tribute has degenerated.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I hope this is politically correct!

Last edited:
Top Bottom