• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Limited Room Size Acoustic problems and potential solutions/compromises

Digby

Major Contributor
OK, well the title is a bit of joke, but you Americans have to be on your best behaviour if you want to engage with this thread, "why?" I hear you ask, shortly followed by "I do what I want, nobody gunna tell me what to....", well, because this is something that is Europe specific and that is living in houses/apartments that have rooms little bigger than the size of a rabbit hutch.

The crux of the matter is this. I'm kinda tired of having speakers protruding into my room, any way you cut it speakers away from the front wall just dominate the room and look intrusive. I have quite a large room by British standards, but no, it is just ugly have speakers out in the room.

So, what is the point of the thread? The point is to ask what kind of speaker is possible, with a maximum depth of 8", that can be put practically flush with the front wall and play to decent SPL levels with reasonable accuracy. White speakers are a must too. I think a floorstander would be fine, but a wall mounted speaker would be better still. Is there anything commercially available of note?

I understand I won't get low bass, but if I can get to 80hz and cross to sub/s, then maybe this is doable (then comes the problem of having subs take up floor space! It never ends, does it....)

Anybody else thinking about or implemented ways to minimise the visual impact of speakers on the room?

I enjoy music a lot and want quality equipment, I just don't want to have to give up so much floorspace and eye space to them. I'm trying to feng shui-ify my life somewhat.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Your title is divisive I suggest you delete it and start over. So much division lately, this is about audio not politics, not race, not where you’re from so you have to act like we do from this part of the world.
Dude, chill, it is a joke, read first paragraph beginning to end, the part about rabbit hutches. If anything it is about how Americans are lucky to have so much space.

Surely a euro-centric thread should use the metric system :):)
Somewhat begrudgingly calling myself European for brevity's sake ;)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good grief Charlie Brown could this be any more divisive?

Contrary to popular belief, all Americans are not all obnoxious, racist, axe murderers, or any of the adjectives that the rest of the world likes to call us.

Dare I say that we American's get labeled wrongly?

Your title is divisive I suggest you delete it and start over. So much division lately, this is about audio not politics, not race, not where you’re from so you have to act like we do from this part of the world.

As a human beings created by God aren’t we all on a level playing field?

Way to prove the OP's point by inserting yourself into this thread like that lol.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your title is divisive I suggest you delete it and start over.

From Japan, I essentially agree, otherwise...
OP can edit/modify the thread title.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Way to prove the OP's point by inserting yourself into this thread like that lol.
Please don't do that, the title is a joke, the thread is a serious question.

If a mod wants to change the title they can.

I am chilled, but that doesn’t change the divisive title that you posted.
Did it need a smiley? I suppose the problem is translating one type of English into another. I thought the sarcasm was obvious, are you really offended by this? Should we never use sarcasm.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway i had an idea of making an on-wall speaker with a really big baffle and the speaker would be really thin as well (~10 cm).

This way it's forward firing down to the SBIR frequency, so you will only get positive reinforcement in the bass department without the negative effects 300Hz up.

The industry though has been moving away from wide baffles since the 1970s, with the KEF LS60 having a narrower baffle than that of a mobile phone, it sounds like it's a bad idea. I'm not experienced enough to know what kind drawbacks this would

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh my!
Some of them probably have too tight elastic bands in their panties ...

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I cannot remember from top of my head, but seems like more millions of Americans live in apartments than in detached or semi-detached dwellings. ;)

As an apartment dweller, I can however give a couple hints. I use LS50 WII and a KC62 in a living room to great effect. Plenty of spl for music and TV. That aside, I have a compact home theatre made with several KEF IQ speakers (including the 7´s, tower speakers) that also works quite well.

Most modern speakers are quite boxy, so that combined with Ikea allows you to clear the visual effects. The Kallax series is quite effective to hold speakers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50971

same everywhere, can we forget about it. I altered the title. I thought it was something very obviously silly akin to "Boys rule, girls drool".

Can you delete your posts now?

Absolutely I can do that, and I didn’t mean to take offense, and I’ll admit that I did it first. Once I thought about it, I see that it was tongue-in-cheek. Forgive me for jumping to conclusions.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just mount a pair of white Genelecs to the wall. These look hardly intrusive. Have the cake and eat it.

Genelec_0382_final_lores_sRGB.jpg

DanielT

Major Contributor
Well, it differs within Europe:
Comparison-of-selected-European-dwelling-sizes.png

rooms_0.png

506043.png

And so on.:)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I altered the title.

Again from Japan.
Sorry, but I feel still very much uncomfortable with the title, it sounds really "bad taste".
Some sense of elegant humor can be allowed in our thread titles (I believe), but it is not the case with yours.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the spirit of the title of the thread, I'd suggest some Magnepans. They make on wall speakers for just your purpose. In white too.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

MAB

Major Contributor
I suppose the problem is translating one type of English into another.
:)
Over here in the USA, we often don’t understand even the most simple aspects of Monty Python. RAF Banter required coaching from a friend for me to get even half of it! Perhaps you just had a Don’t mention the war moment:facepalm:
I do appreciate your question, and the humor!
:)

MAB

Major Contributor
Don't they have to be out in the room though, not next to the wall or am I wrong?
The classic planar magnetic do require space. @Blumlein 88 was referring to their models from a lifestyle range they make that are specific to wall mounting! Might be nice, although I have never seen or heard them.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I was going to say that most pro active monitors with bass level switches should be fine for close to wall use, just turn the bass controls down a notch or two? The passive ATC 19 and 20's, an early 19 from this family panned here for having a lower mid and bass roll-off should also work just fine pretty close to the wall, as said wall should bring these frequencies up to nearer to neutral - they did for me quite well I remember from long ago...

As for passive speakers, get an equaliser of some sort if digital sources, or an amp with damned good tone controls if analogue. Quad's later preamps were transparent enough (I'd say '66' onwards although the very last RCA socketed 44's and maybe 34's in dark cosmetic had chip updates I recall which improved sonic transparency) and the 606/909 family power amps plenty of usable power too...

Frgirard

Major Contributor
OK, well the title is a bit of joke, but you Americans have to be on your best behaviour if you want to engage with this thread, "why?" I hear you ask, shortly followed by "I do what I want, nobody gunna tell me what to....", well, because this is something that is Europe specific and that is living in houses/apartments that have rooms little bigger than the size of a rabbit hutch.

The crux of the matter is this. I'm kinda tired of having speakers protruding into my room, any way you cut it speakers away from the front wall just dominate the room and look intrusive. I have quite a large room by British standards, but no, it is just ugly have speakers out in the room.

So, what is the point of the thread? The point is to ask what kind of speaker is possible, with a maximum depth of 8", that can be put practically flush with the front wall and play to decent SPL levels with reasonable accuracy. White speakers are a must too. I think a floorstander would be fine, but a wall mounted speaker would be better still. Is there anything commercially available of note?

I understand I won't get low bass, but if I can get to 80hz and cross to sub/s, then maybe this is doable (then comes the problem of having subs take up floor space! It never ends, does it....)

Anybody else thinking about or implemented ways to minimise the visual impact of speakers on the room?

I enjoy music a lot and want quality equipment, I just don't want to have to give up so much floorspace and eye space to them. I'm trying to feng shui-ify my life somewhat.
JMR EMP

Top Bottom