• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Limited Participation For The Next Few Weeks...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
house price selling good? great deal?
It was a few months ago. Folks would kill themselves to buy anything way over asking price, no contingency, nothing. Most of that is gone now with rising interest rate. But my realtor says they can still sell it if "priced right." What that is, I don't know yet. The pricing trajectory is negative so we are going to sell it one way or the other. We have had it for 25 years so there is equity in there to play with.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One of my long term punch items is to map out all infrastructural lines (power, water, data, etc) on a blueprint and make a household hardware/software playbook (replacement parts, maintenance logs, etc). It is one of those things that constantly would be useful but never manages to happen...
Yes, it is a shame this is not standard practice in home construction. I have lost count how many times we have had water, cable, phone and sewage lines damaged requiring nasty work to deal with. The power company came and buried their lines which was good. What was not good is that the tore up the phone line we were using for internet. We see that internet access was flakey. Phone company comes and finds their cable out of the ground just hand twisted together where the damage was!

For indoors, I was smart to not only take many pictures but also shoot videos. Even then I missed a few things.

Our company Madrona, 100% does this kind of thing by the book. We create extensive CAD drawings of very wire and fixture. We do it not as much for the home owner but other trades who can destroy our work or change things so that we can't do our work. It costs fair bit of money so fits the high-end projects we take on.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Post cables, you say? YESSSSS

View attachment 237692

I have some of this. Made in USA!
89831D28-104E-4D8D-A652-F9754882092A.jpeg

Attachments

• B9CB5E48-8BF8-4DC0-B939-E96875C0E939.jpeg
    B9CB5E48-8BF8-4DC0-B939-E96875C0E939.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 44

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of that is gone now with rising interest rate.
'Charm' and 'curb-appeal' is what the missus insists to be the major sale points; that may be a chick thing, I presume.;)
I wonder if you considered (before? now?) outfitting that place with a 'whole-house' AV system.
IF anyone can that do that on the cheap (but awesome), you'd be the person.
Would that be considered an impetus or an incentive for potential buyers?

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
No no , all the topping cheques goto me , part of the NDA that made up my severance package .
I’ve been trying to convince Amir to just let Former and Current Moderators use his spare house as a Moderator Rehabilitation Crib! I will even take a pay cut for this. :cool:

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have some of this. Made in USA!
View attachment 237716

I will tell you one thing about what you have there, that clear jacket will not yellow, even if left in the garage summer and winter for over 25 years, so its thick and durable, you got all you need right there. I speak from experience. Also, that jacket will not let the internal oxidize either. That is great wire my friend.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will tell you one thing about what you have there, that clear jacket will not yellow, even if left in the garage summer and winter for over 25 years, so its thick and durable, you got all you need right there. I speak from experience. Also, that jacket will not let the internal oxidize either. That is great wire my friend.
I actually bought it recently. The center plastic of the reel had deteriorated before the wire. The wire itself is slightly oxidized externally but internally it’s great and it’s very supple.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That’s the great thing about jokes, they don’t need to be factually accurate :)

Or, even be funny in this case.

Pretty poor form.

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
Is it true the proceeds from the sale will be used to purchase the latest Michael Fremer-endorsed six-figure phono preamp?

(yes, a joke)

Ricardus

I can relate. We're trying to sell my deceased father's house right now in NY. It didn't get any action at the asking price in the warm months, and now my toxic brother, the executor, won't lower the price. There will be snow on the ground soon and he needs to realize the house is no longer an asset. It's a liability.

Last edited:

Chester

Or, even be funny in this case.

Pretty poor form.

Dear me, if it’s causing such an issue just delete it. It’s become a little too uptight here lately. Amir appeared to take it in the nature intended, that will do for me and I’ll go back to lurking.

Boxermotor

Hello you all.

Some of you may have noticed that I have slowed way down in reviews and posts. The major reason for this is that we are getting our older home ready for sale and it is in another city. So I have to keep going there and stay until I get things done. By the time I get back home, a ton of stuff is piled on here as well. The list of things to do seems infinite and so little time to get them done. I will try to squeeze a review here and there but that will be it until we come out of the tunnel on these projects.

Above also means very slow response in messages especially if the answer is not a quick one. As I look now, it says I have 39 unread messages!!!

This is the deepest hole I have found myself in, in a long time. Fortunately good progress is being made to take care of things. So in balance I feel fine but just not able to keep up with the forum.

I expect this to continue for the next 4+ weeks. Appreciate your understanding.
I appreciate all you do through ASR! Good luck with house sale and the journey back to normal.

Noob

That’s the great thing about jokes, they don’t need to be factually accurate :)
This is correct and also irrelevant to both your original comment and my response. Factuality was never a consideration, only the relevance to Amir's post.

For the style of humor you seem to have been attempting, it is typical, well studied, and well tested that the most effective jokes of such nature take into proper account their inspirational material, otherwise you alienate your audience.

For example. Let's say I express news that some person in preparation for their second marriage has finally managed to save up the necessary funds to have the lavish wedding ceremony they wish they could have had in their first marriage.

If you made a joke about the money being a waste, because they don't know how to choose a spouse or some other comment of that nature, it may be rude, but it would be relevant because you are referencing information that has been given and is common knowledge to those reading your comment.

Now let's say you make a comment about how it's the parents paying for everything.
This could have potentially been funny or rude if relevant, but instead it's just noise. The reason being because you reference information that only lives in your own mind. Nobody can relate to the joke, because nowhere in the original news given was there evidence of any parental funding. In fact, the news seems to be quite the opposite.

So I hope this clarifies the issue and why I gave correction. Factual or not, your response to Amir's post was irrelevant to the information given.

There is the genre of sarcasm, which uses the device of saying something opposite to the actual intent, but that must be delivered with a certain level of skill and subtlety in order to be effectively communicated. If you were attempting sarcasm, I would suggest you do not have the skill for it.
But I do not believe sarcasm was the intent.
I think you just made a simple mistake of not reading the original post carefully enough to understand Amir's situation.

Last edited:

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
02CDE171-316C-4155-A886-3A476FE4783E.jpeg

hey little buddy did you hear armir is going to be gone for a few weeks

B07FAC17-E4CD-4F7C-BCA5-E53B154E1CEF.jpeg

hey why don’t we use the robotic audio analyzer …gilligan knows how to use it I think?.

Top Bottom