• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lights, Camera LIGHTS!

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No wonder I was seeing such strange color casts when shooting with color film and using the hardware store lighting!
20100407-043.jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a much easier time shooting this one digitally using custom camera profile, and purpose-built lighting (Rotolight Neo):
_9100006.jpg

OP
mshenay

mshenay

No wonder I was seeing such strange color casts when shooting with color film and using the hardware store lighting!
View attachment 103988

Yea using just Construction Lamps and High Lumen Bulbs I have the same issue as you, a lot of color imbalance. High CRI bulbs and Tungsten are what I'm looking to try next! Along with the umbrella's to help eliminate reflections of the bulb itself on shiny surfaces

I should use photo shop more but Snap-Seed is more convenient tho I may switch over to Photoshop for android to help wipe out the background, in terms of photo boxs most are too small for what I need and too limiting, I've got a large enough space with a clean white wall to shoot again'st it's just getting lighting that's both bright enough AND balanced in terms of color... as I get tired of having to manually edit the parts of the shots that are too warm. Thankfully I've gotten quick enough at those edits it's not too bothersome but it's still work I'd rather not have to do. Also I may start doing Portraits [family and friends] in the existing space [which is again large enough] so the upgraded lighting is worthwhile imo

An at SOME point I'll switch off my 10.1 inch tablet and move up to a 12.7! As I REALLY like having the pen for super fine edits. An I'm sure android photo shop will support that, I'll upload some of my Raws vs edits here shortly with my current lighting rig [purchases are still shipping]

OP
mshenay

mshenay

Hey so I want to thank you guys for the Photo Flood recommendations, the color temperature is amazing! I was shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's a sample with very minimal editing but web-optimized and watermark'd

HE_R10D_ofa_lifestyle.jpg

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey so I want to thank you guys for the Photo Flood recommendations, the color temperature is amazing! I was shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's a sample with very minimal editing but web-optimized and watermark'd

View attachment 117525
Which one did you end up buying?

OP
mshenay

mshenay

Having a new issue actually, while I like what the wood adds for lifestyle shots for straight up Product Photography I have switched over to solid white on white
20210707000521_IMG_2849-01zz.jpg

zdAFC2.jpg

I content with the after, yea I've lost some of the shadow but enough of it is there to ground the img I feel, and I like the color accuracy and quality of the product in focus, but I'm wondering if I'm able to capture something closer to the final img without the heavy edits needed to the original img

Any tips or thoughts?

Roland68

Major Contributor
https://picture-instruments.com/products/index.php?id=8&back=3 You can also try out how the shadow works.
Or https://picture-instruments.com/products/index.php?id=3&back=3 Also works with transparent or (partially) transparent objects.
You would deal with problems with color temperature with flash light.
For a more vivid picture design you would need a smaller and more powerful light source. LED floodlights are not well suited for this type of photography. You could move them further away and increase the exposure time accordingly.

Luo Dan

Do you prefer any brand? Or what is your budget? I have used this item recently and it works well. Recommedation!
15.jpg
15.jpg

OP
mshenay

mshenay

https://picture-instruments.com/products/index.php?id=8&back=3 You can also try out how the shadow works.
Or https://picture-instruments.com/products/index.php?id=3&back=3 Also works with transparent or (partially) transparent objects.
You would deal with problems with color temperature with flash light.
For a more vivid picture design you would need a smaller and more powerful light source. LED floodlights are not well suited for this type of photography. You could move them further away and increase the exposure time accordingly.
Not using LED Floodlights but PhotoFloods which are different

I may give this brand a shot,

See if it makes a noticeable improvement

The 500 watt's I've been using are a bit warm and it seems others have noticed as much

I also experimented with placing my colder temp high output LEDs at the very rear up again'st the back drop and they made a slight improvement at some point I imagine I'll either find a combination of Photo Floods that works or get around to trying a LED

Roland68

Major Contributor
Not using LED Floodlights but PhotoFloods which are different

I may give this brand a shot,

See if it makes a noticeable improvement

The 500 watt's I've been using are a bit warm and it seems others have noticed as much

I also experimented with placing my colder temp high output LEDs at the very rear up again'st the back drop and they made a slight improvement at some point I imagine I'll either find a combination of Photo Floods that works or get around to trying a LED
Mixed light basically does not work in photography, even a deviation of 200-300 Celvin between the light sources can lead to problems, 500, 1000 or more are unusable.
The "usual" Celvin range for taking pictures is 5500 - 6000 Celvin. 3200 is useless there either, except perhaps for very special applications.

OP
mshenay

mshenay

Mixed light basically does not work in photography, even a deviation of 200-300 Celvin between the light sources can lead to problems, 500, 1000 or more are unusable.
The "usual" Celvin range for taking pictures is 5500 - 6000 Celvin. 3200 is useless there either, except perhaps for very special applications.
Ahh thank you, and the mixed light work I've done solves one problem and creates others

I'll have to hunt done some brighter bulbs at that color temperture

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought a couple of these for 30 usd to use in product photos in the white tent.

Color Quality (CRI): 97
R9: 94

Philips 550525 Daylight Frosted 16W 5000K Downlight A19 1600 lm. 120V LED Bulb

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom