• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LG TV HDMI ports busted, any reliable alternatives?

keenly

Sorry if this is in wrong place, but I need some help.

I have a 6 year old LG TV. The HDMI ports have all stopped working.

I use Marantz SR8012 HDMI output to TV(monitor 1), So it is for screen only.

Anything else I can do?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I am not sure that I understand the question. If the board is toasted see if it can be replaced and if so is it worth the money. Analog inputs and scart even if present probably won't be sufficient if still working and same goes for network streaming. Do the basic diagnostic and reset the damn thing if you didn't already.

charleski

Major Contributor
Unplug it at the wall for 30secs then plug it back in. This will reboot the whole unit in case it's just an HDMI handshake issue. If it still doesn't work you'll need to open up the back and find the part number of the main board with the HDMI ports on, these can usually be bought on eBay for a fraction of the price of a new TV.

OP
K

keenly

Unplug it at the wall for 30secs then plug it back in. This will reboot the whole unit in case it's just an HDMI handshake issue. If it still doesn't work you'll need to open up the back and find the part number of the main board with the HDMI ports on, these can usually be bought on eBay for a fraction of the price of a new TV.
I have done all that, reset to factory etc.

I was wondering about alternatives to HDMI.

OP
K

keenly

I am not sure that I understand the question. If the board is toasted see if it can be replaced and if so is it worth the money. Analog inputs and scart even if present probably won't be sufficient if still working and same goes for network streaming. Do the basic diagnostic and reset the damn thing if you didn't already.
I was wondering about alternatives to bypass HDMI.

TrevorD

What model is the TV so we can track down the available inputs other than HDMI on it

OP
K

keenly

What model is the TV so we can track down the available inputs other than HDMI on it
42' LG 7 years old.

I have it working via HDMI to scart adaptor.
Picture is not quite as clear, and a bit dark.

Willem

Major Contributor
Yep, that is what you would expect. You were lucky that your TV still has a SCART input. However, in my book seven years is really quite disappointing.

TrevorD

I believe the SCART converter will give you a 560p resolution (560 vertical lines on the screen) HDMI uses 1080 lines so you will be getting downscaling from 1080 to 560 lines. If you are happy with the picture the stick with it.

However if you want to see the full 1080p definition then look at your TV video connectors for either 3 connector Component or 15 pin RGB PC video connector. Here is what they might look like:

1640078209097.png

Here is an HDMI to component converter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Component-...r-Coaxial-HDMI-YPbPr-RGB-5-RCA/dp/B08B1HRMS8/

Here is and HDMI to RGB PC converter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gold-Plated-Converter-Projector-Chromebook-Raspberry/dp/B07TMYN9QT/

TrevorD

Actually your Marantz has direct component output that you can connect directly to the TV - just need to get yourself a component cable. Have a look at page 79 of your owner's manual:
1640078839151.png

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Anything else I can do?
Have you tried a different HDMI cable? I have seen some that have become damaged from being too close to a heater or from regular plug/unplug which can often not even be seen upon close inspection. Once there is any damage to the shielding or connector they tend not to work.

As others have said if the HDMI board/controller has failed this can often be an easy fix. If you can provide the model number... service manual can then be found, get into the service menu etc.

JSmith

charleski

Major Contributor
Actually your Marantz has direct component output that you can connect directly to the TV
In most cases the component outputs from the AVR will only output sources that also use a component connection, i.e. they won't convert digital HDMI signals to analogue component. The HDMI->component converters you mentioned before might work though.

But really this is all more fuss than necessary. TV repair these days mostly consists of just swapping boards unless the panel itself is bust, and it requires nothing more than a screwdriver. You just need to make sure you know the exact model number of the TV and board, unscrewing the back to find this and swap the board is a trivial task (though be careful to place the TV on a soft surface that won't damage the panel). The boards themselves go for £30-50 on eBay.

OP
K

keenly

I believe the SCART converter will give you a 560p resolution (560 vertical lines on the screen) HDMI uses 1080 lines so you will be getting downscaling from 1080 to 560 lines. If you are happy with the picture the stick with it.

However if you want to see the full 1080p definition then look at your TV video connectors for either 3 connector Component or 15 pin RGB PC video connector. Here is what they might look like:

View attachment 173810

Here is an HDMI to component converter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Component-...r-Coaxial-HDMI-YPbPr-RGB-5-RCA/dp/B08B1HRMS8/

Here is and HDMI to RGB PC converter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gold-Plated-Converter-Projector-Chromebook-Raspberry/dp/B07TMYN9QT/

My TV has 5, not 3.
I have tried this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PMGBVV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No beuno I am afraid.

There is no RGB on my TV.

Cheers

Top Bottom