• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LG Quad DAC only getting 24 bit

Darrell72

I recently bought an old G6 (asian model) for the quad dac. However, running amazon HD music the amazon song info says my device is only capable of 24bit/96Khz. The G6 dac is supposed to be able to supports audio files with up to 32-bit audio at 384 kHz sample rate . I have tried using Audio Technica ATH-2 heaphones (32ohms), via usbc to dragonfly red and also direct via jack to hifi amp but not getting above 24bit/96kHz. Can anyone advise why the dac is not achieving the higher quality rates, please? Thanks.

egellings

Major Contributor
Is it possible that it is not receiving higher res input material?

dc655321

Major Contributor
AFAIK, there is no such thing as 32 bit material. At least not recorded via mic.

32 bits of resolution is waaaaay beyond anything physically realizable in audio...

OP
D

Darrell72

Is it possible that it is not receiving higher res input material?

Amazon HD shows input quality; device capacity; currently playing at. Where the music was available at 24bit/192kHz it said it was only playing at 24/48. I have no idea why.

OP
D

Darrell72

Dragon Fly red is only up to 24/96KHz. Infact most dongles are capped at that to be compatible with most phones.

Yes, however whilst music was available as 24/192 and Dragon can go to 24/96 in this instance Amazon indicated music was only playing at 24/48 on my device.

OP
D

Darrell72

AFAIK, there is no such thing as 32 bit material. At least not recorded via mic.

32 bits of resolution is waaaaay beyond anything physically realizable in audio...

Whilst that may be the case it doesnt answer why the quad dac is playing at a level below the available music quality, i.e. music should be 24/192 but dac sticks at 24/48 or occasionally reaches 24/96 on some tracks.

Can it be an issue with provider? I tried using home wifi and also phone's 4g provider. Result was the same for both.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't have this phone but maybe I would try:
- check if latest firmware is present
- download a high res file directly to phone a check its playability with some "advanced" player apps to see what information they provide (neutron, usb player pro, hiby...)
- that way you can exclude it is an issue with Amazon itself (I strongly doubt being it issue with your provider)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Try using USB audio player or HiBy.
For the best results use USB Player Pro with enabled MQA support when possible.

Last edited:
OP
D

Darrell72

Don't have this phone but maybe I would try:
- check if latest firmware is present
- download a high res file directly to phone a check its playability with some "advanced" player apps to see what information they provide (neutron, usb player pro, hiby...)
- that way you can exclude it is an issue with Amazon itself (I strongly doubt being it issue with your provider)

Thanks,
I have the usb audio player and downloaded some hires samples from HDtracks. These are 24/96 but unlike Amazon it doesnt appear to show me what quality my device is playing them at. Any idea how to do that?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
It's a android software limitation. All my android devices have the 24/48 limit for streaming. The lgv40 I have will play pretty much whatever file type native. Usb player pro can force the device to work to the max with qobuz and tidal but not amazon hd.

OP
D

Darrell72

Ah, so to access higher quality material they will need to be downloaded? I just paid for the MQA option on usb adio pro + selected the streaming option on Amazon HD for LG phones. I have never 'rooted' a phone before but would that be a route (pardon the pun) to circumventing the android limitation? Is there anything else I can do?
Thanks for the help

OP
D

Darrell72

Try using USB audio player or HiBy.
For the best results use USB Player Pro with enabled MQA support when possible.

Hi, yes I have tried that but am not sure how you can check what you are listening to as opposed to the original file format, to confirm what sample rate my phone is playing at.

Thalis

UAPP can bypass the Android sound system (limited to 48) and send bitperfect either to your internal Quad DAC or out to a USB DAC (limited only by the DAC's highest resolution). Tidal and Qobuz are already intergrated in UAPP but I have not seen Amazon HD in UAPP yet.

Thalis

Ah, so to access higher quality material they will need to be downloaded? I just paid for the MQA option on usb adio pro + selected the streaming option on Amazon HD for LG phones. I have never 'rooted' a phone before but would that be a route (pardon the pun) to circumventing the android limitation? Is there anything else I can do?
Thanks for the help

The MQA option in UAPP is for Tidal. You do not need to root your phone for bitperfect to work.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have UAPP purchased, so cannot tell, but here are also some settings for "bitperfect output" to check (for Dragonfly test) - "Stage 4: Apps".
Also, if I remember Dragonfly shall change its LED colors if higher sample rates play natively..

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Hi, yes I have tried that but am not sure how you can check what you are listening to as opposed to the original file format, to confirm what sample rate my phone is playing at.
Ufff man you didn't need to pay for additional MQA software decoder in app if you purchased it. For LG with it's integrated decoder UAPP paid alone is enough. This is not for the MQA or tidal but because it simply performs better that way (& for LGs only). I don't use UAPP. In HiBy you can force fixed output sampling rate and or bit precision and can see on now playing screen output by taping on the file info.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks,
I have the usb audio player and downloaded some hires samples from HDtracks. These are 24/96 but unlike Amazon it doesnt appear to show me what quality my device is playing them at. Any idea how to do that?

UAPP shows what it is playing at. On the now playing screen under the artwork and song info.

"direct" shows its playing on the phone dac (would say USB dac if I had one connected) then the sample rate. "file" is, well, what the file is. File is 96, playing 96.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103-130332.jpg
    Screenshot_20210103-130332.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 220
OP
D

Darrell72

I don't have UAPP purchased, so cannot tell, but here are also some settings for "bitperfect output" to check (for Dragonfly test) - "Stage 4: Apps".
Also, if I remember Dragonfly shall change its LED colors if higher sample rates play natively..

Thanks

OP
D

Darrell72

UAPP shows what it is playing at. On the now playing screen under the artwork and song info.

"direct" shows its playing on the phone dac (would say USB dac if I had one connected) then the sample rate. "file" is, well, what the file is. File is 96, playing 96.

That is helpful, I didn't realise the rate was the 'playing' rate rather than juar advising what itwas recorded at. Also, the 'direct' bit. Thanks a lot.

Top Bottom