• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LG breaks Dolby Vision with new WebOS release 5.10.04 - June 2021

Artsfols

The problem appears to be limited to people using Denon, Anthem, Onkyo and other AVRs, which is why I reported this issue here.

After installing LG's new web OS release on my LG B9 TV, the television began blinking on and off when playing DolbyVision sources on my Apple 4K TV box. Many LG TV owners have now reported the problem on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/o1r3ty
I keep checking for another update, but don't see anything yet. There's more information on the reddit thread on LG's apparent deafness to the problem which must be affecting a large number of their TV buyers, basically anyone playing a DolbyVision source through an AVR to an LG OLED TV.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ooof, it's supposed to be the update in which they unlock Dolby vision 120Hz 4k.

not a big deal for 99% of the population.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Ooof, it's supposed to be the update in which they unlock Dolby vision 120Hz 4k.

not a big deal for 99% of the population.
That 120hz update is a separate update yet to be released. The above 5.10.04 effects thousands worldwide. Not good for LG’s reputation.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

I'm tempted to do a factory reset, but the cure might be worse than the disease. Once the Dolby Vision is restored, I'll simply take the TV itself off the Internet and take no further updates.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I'm tempted to do a factory reset, but the cure might be worse than the disease. Once the Dolby Vision is restored, I'll simply take the TV itself off the Internet and take no further updates.
The LG support site claims factory reset keeps the latest update in ROM so that would not work. Sigh

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

The LG support site claims factory reset keeps the latest update in ROM so that would not work. Sigh

Well, you've saved me from having to decide that issue. I thought the entire point of a factory reset was to move it back to what you got from the factory. Bad decision on someone's part.

KC-Narnia

I have this issue with my LG C9, Denon AVC-A110 and Panasonic UB9000 while watching Netflix in Dolby Vision. But I've just downloaded a new firmware (05.10.15) and it fixed the issue :)
I've also tested it on my LG CX with my Denon AVC-X6700H and Panasonic UB9000 (there was no issue and no new firmware).
/KC (Denmark)

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
05.10.15 not available yet for my 65C9PLA. Previous update broke my C9/Denon AVR's Dolby Vision. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon. It happens.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
A bit sloppy, but considering it's LG they will probably fix it soon.

Edit: oh, it's already fixed it seems. Good stuff.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

I keep checking for a new update, but so far, crickets.
I suspect that under the terms of my extended warranty with Best Buy I might be able to get a TV that does not exhibit this problem.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep checking for a new update, but so far, crickets.
I suspect that under the terms of my extended warranty with Best Buy I might be able to get a TV that does not exhibit this problem.

They fixed it in 05.10.15. If you're not getting the update from the internet for some reason, I think you can install it via USB drive with the files from the LG support site. For example, here. Make sure you find the one for your particular country/model though.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

They fixed it in 05.10.15. If you're not getting the update from the internet for some reason, I think you can install it via USB drive with the files from the LG support site. For example, here. Make sure you find the one for your particular country/model though.

Okay, I see that the B9 has its own page and driver. I guess I can't determine if it's for Canada until I download. Thanks for the link.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Golfx

Forum Donor
My 77C9PUA/B just now downloaded 5.10.15. I live in Virginia, USA. It fixed the dolby vision glitch.

Tks

Major Contributor
This isnt the first time LG drops the ball on software. Their V series of phones could output native DSD without DoP, but that function is gome ever since Android 10.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

Just as I was thinking about digging out a USB key from a drawer, my television informed me that a new update was available. 5.10.05 has been installed and corrected the issue.

Top Bottom